Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've only had my XC a few months. It came with a lock n ride backrest and I've been thinking about adding a Victory luggage rack but I was looking around online and came across the recall notice from 2014 about the backrest with luggage rack having the potential to crack. Is this something I should be concerned with? I hate to spend a bunch of money on a luggage rack then have the backrest crack and the dealer not be able to fix it since no parts are available. Any thoughts?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,435 Posts
The recalled backrest and luggage rack was bolted together with 4 bolts. The replacement 6 bolts, you will have to do a search and try to find one on line. There is some after marked one out there, but I don't know if they will bolt up to the Victory back rest.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. So 4 bolt bad, 6 bolt good. I'll keep that in mind.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I managed to find a brand new 6 holer a year or so ago, for $150 off of a dealer in CA, when the previous owner threw in the backrest.

Dusty

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
I had a 4 bolt for years prior to the recall and put some heavy weight on the rack with no problems what-so-ever. Don't sweat it. I think that recall was just to keep some attorneys busy.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I had a 4 bolt for years prior to the recall and put some heavy weight on the rack with no problems what-so-ever. Don't sweat it. I think that recall was just to keep some attorneys busy.
Just curious, What fails on the 4 bolt model? Do the bolts shear?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wondered if you would only have a problem if you put too much weight on it. I only have the 4 hole backrest and if I get a rack it probably wouldn't be used very often anyway. I just think it looks good on the bike and there are lots of them around.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just curious, What fails on the 4 bolt model? Do the bolts shear?
The recall notice says that frame of the backrest can crack if I read it right.

·
Premium Member
1,435 Posts
The recall notice says that frame of the backrest can crack if I read it right.

That's what I understood when They replaced mine.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I bought a 4 hole rack off of ebay then had the dealer do the recall.
It did take a few months but it came in and dealer installed it with new backrest also

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bought a 4 hole rack off of ebay then had the dealer do the recall.

It did take a few months but it came in and dealer installed it with new backrest also
I wondered if the dealer would still do a recall if they could even get the parts. Guess I could try it.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Shoot I think if I found a 4 bolt job and you cant get it replaced, I wouldnt really sweat it. Maybe compare it with the 6 bolt job and see what they did different. Maybe add some larger diameter stainless washers to spread load out. Or just drill the extra bolt holes and add stainless bolts. A lot of this kind of things is just BS lawyers make a big deal out of. My trunk says no more than 10lb on top of lid. I can assure you it has had more than that. But it does make the bike ugly to handle.

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
If you have 2 bolts each side and you can't get a warranty swap, there's nothing to worry about. To repeat, I carried a lot of weight on mine - and I do mean a lot - for years.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Maybe add some larger diameter stainless washers to spread load out. Or just drill the extra bolt holes and add stainless bolts.
Adding washers and what not wont fix the issue. My understanding was they tended to crack between the holes because of how the weight was carried by the backrest. Having 3 bolts on each side allows that weight to be carried across a larger area. Not to say you couldn't have had more weight on it than you should have at some points with no issue's, but the fact is if they did a recall, SOMEONE got hurt/killed because of the issue and that is why they did the recall. I have the original "4 bolt" style back rest for when I am just running around town with the wife, but I don't have a luggage rack on it, so I am not to worried about it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts