Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I did some searching on luggage racks and found a few options. All of them expensive. Has anyone tried to adapt a luggage rack for another motorcycle to fit? Specifically the lock and ride backrest.

I do know Victory and Cycle Ops makes a luggage rack. I also saw Kewlmetal makes some racks. Price is the issue at hand folks, price. There are several hundred options for other brands at sub $200 prices that are good quality items. Just trying to get one for mine.

·
Registered
364 Posts
For the comparable dollars, not to mention I give you guys 10% off making mine less costly than Vics, my racks will look as good as they function.
So you know why less expensive options don't exist, it's because of 1) Made in the USA costs more (although the Vic/Kuryakyn rack is made in China), and 2) the limited numbers of bikes available to make parts for limits the parts per production run done. Mine are also true triple show chromed, a lot more costly than production plating, but go to my site yourself and look at the difference in the final product... it's priceless. Plus those cheaper options you're talking about are likely made in China and you cannot compete with $1/day labor here as you well know.

As for finding another bikes rack to fit it, I highly doubt it as that lock and ride rest is very unique in shape, being very side at the mounting points, plus the support bars have to go through the specific slots made for them, so that'll be a needle in a haystack that you'll never find.

Get with me for the discount code if you decide you like ours.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
No doubt yours are very very nice. That's the thing I don't need a triple show chrome plated luggage rack, I appreciate the Made in America and the smaller parts run, I lost a few jobs in my life due to the work going overseas. What I need is a sturdy rack that fits and can hold a decent sized bag in a nice powder coat to save $ and hold up nicely.

I am looking at the ones you have done in black.

Still looking for alternatives as well.

·
Registered
364 Posts
No doubt yours are very very nice. That's the thing I don't need a triple show chrome plated luggage rack, I appreciate the Made in America and the smaller parts run, I lost a few jobs in my life due to the work going overseas. What I need is a sturdy rack that fits and can hold a decent sized bag in a nice powder coat to save $ and hold up nicely.

I am looking at the ones you have done in black.

Still looking for alternatives as well.
If you like our black racks, with the 10% off I give you guys as members here you'd be looking at only $350. Considering my racks are designed to be as much a functional workhorse as much as a thing of beauty, and the fact that they go on a $20,000 motorcycle, that's really not al lot of coin to spend IMO. You can spend that taking the old lady out to dinner 2 or 3 times, so if you put it all in perspective it's all relevant.
If you want simple and utilitarian I can do one for you like that too. Less punchouts and no radiusing of the edges and we'll get you away cheaper.
As for other options, trust me, look all you want but unfortunately they do not exist and you cannot will them into existence.

·
Registered
356 Posts
If you like our black racks, with the 10% off I give you guys as members here you'd be looking at only $350. Considering my racks are designed to be as much a functional workhorse as much as a thing of beauty, and the fact that they go on a $20,000 motorcycle, that's really not al lot of coin to spend IMO. You can spend that taking the old lady out to dinner 2 or 3 times, so if you put it all in perspective it's all relevant.
If you want simple and utilitarian I can do one for you like that too. Less punchouts and no radiusing of the edges and we'll get you away cheaper.
I'll be in the market for a luggage rack for my XR backrest in the future. I really like the quality of your products and that they are made in the USA, but even with the discount I have a hard time paying as much for the rack as I did for the entire backrest.

I'd be occasionally carrying a medium bag on it with clothes, but don't need to haul lumber on it on top of a triple chrome show finish! Do you have an economy version with less cutouts, no radiused edges and regular chrome? If so how much would that be? I don't ride with the backrest unless I need it, which isn't very often. As nice as your products are, I don't need a showpiece. ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I wanted function because I do a lot of camping and strap bags to my trunk rack. So for $125 I bought a Harly standard chrome rack and some Honda stantions to raise it 5/8 inch up. I had to bend the rack legs some to the trunk angle. This looks good and works great. I also found some saddle bag racks for about $125 that go on a trike that fit like they were made for the lids. They are the same size tubbing as the H-D rack and match in style.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
There is a member on another Vic forum (can't give the name - forum rules) that found a fab shop that gave him a discount for ordering 5 or 6 racks. He's selling them for $300. If an enterpising individual were to find a fab shop that could knock out a few ulitarian racks he/she could most likely sell the extras very easily. If you go with strap or tube instead of plate you could most likely cut the price to half. Keep in mind that going that low wouldn't leave room for chrome or powder coating. You would most likely get plain unpainted racks.

I for one am ok with that; I wouldn't use the rack for anything except trips and prefer bare metal that I could paint with my choice of colors and touch up as needed.

CycleOps, could you build a backrest mounted rack out of stainless or aluminum tube? If so what would it cost painted/chromed/bare? Tube may be a good option because even people with forged highway bars still have to deal with tubular bag bars. You may want to consider using strap too; this wouldgive another option for people that have the forged bars and want to stick with the flat look. They would still have to deal with tubular bag bars until somebody develops a strap or square tube option.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Here are the simpler styles. My call would be right low.

The idea behind these would be a lower cost alternative without an emphasis on high end perfection. No edging treatments after punching them out, and no hand working. Cut ''em, we;d 'em, coat them. For trunks or backrests.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Now we're talking. Thanks for listening. Do you have an approximate price point for these?

·
Registered
15 Posts
i also like the top right with the bottom right V. i would be very interested in one of these also. what are you thinking for a price? thanks

·
Registered
364 Posts
Since I don't expect these to sell like our high end racks, I'll be doing them on an order by order basis unless all of the sudden everyone want one. Now that said, you guys need to settle one one of the styles here. The small indentations on the yop left and low right versions are to stop your bungees from sliding up and down the slots for a more secure load. I will add this feature to either of the other two that don't have it if you guys prefer one of those. When we have a concensus on which style I can run the program and then give you guys the price.
Ballpark, by guesstimate, would be say $259-299 list in black and $410-425 list or so in chrome. And of course I give you guys 10% off on all my parts, so make those $250-270 black, $365-380 or so chromed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have been looking for a rack as well...this appears to be a more cost effective option yet just as functional. My vote is for the upper right, but with the indentations added. JMO

·
Registered
356 Posts
Since I don't expect these to sell like our high end racks, I'll be doing them on an order by order basis unless all of the sudden everyone want one. Now that said, you guys need to settle one one of the styles here. The small indentations on the yop left and low right versions are to stop your bungees from sliding up and down the slots for a more secure load. I will add this feature to either of the other two that don't have it if you guys prefer one of those. When we have a concensus on which style I can run the program and then give you guys the price.
Ballpark, by guesstimate, would be say $259-299 list in black and $410-425 list or so in chrome. And of course I give you guys 10% off on all my parts, so make those $250-270 black, $365-380 or so chromed.
I think you will be surprised with the demand if you offer this as a regularly stocked item. It would be a quality rack for significantly less than the OEM version. Put me in line for lower right in chrome. :)

·
Registered
356 Posts
Bump for people interested in one of these racks! Any news CycleOps?

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I bet the possibility of being able to purchase high quality / lower priced versions of racks from a known and respected vendor got out buisness would increase. There are 2 or 3 other Victory websites with model specific sections; they should al know about the deal too. They may not be members here (some are) but they are still part of the disfunctional family we all became part of with our purchases (or future purchases).

·
Registered
364 Posts
I needed to make some slight changes to make all the legs and supports to fit the trunks and the backrest versions for all the bikes and fitments.

This one below will be the final. I removed the notches to keep machine time down and the new cutouts leave plenty of points to secure with anyway.
Orders are being accepted now. Allow 2 weeks or so for black (matte, satin, or gloss, you choose) and add 7-10 days for triple chrome.

Now to be very clear before you order, less time is going to be invested into prepping them for finishes and because material sometimes has slight marks from being transported/handled chrome racks may show some minor imperfections in the metal below. All econo racks will be surfaced, but they will not get the time invested as do our show quality racks as these are working racks and as you guys have made clear you want function and low cost over high end chroming. Remember, you cannot have your cake and eat it too. Structurally and fitwise yes, chrome finishwise, sometimes there may be a blemish such as a tiny pit or such, and as that is only cosmetic it is not up for a complaint if you get my point, We will use dilligence to prep them to look great as you all know I'd never let a piece of crap out my doors, but I'm not going to lose sleep if one or two aren't impeccably flawless. Now many wouldn't even notive the things I'm mentioning here, but you know I'm anal with chrome so I just want it very, very clear.
Powder coated units will all come out great due to powder coating's tihck, epoxylike filling qualities.
Now rest assured these will be no different than all our others in that the quality of construction materials, the welding, as well as the fit will be no different than what you have come to expect from me.

OK, who's first to step up to the plate?????

·
Registered
356 Posts
I am interested in one of these in Chrome. Do you have a final price and any examples made so we can see what they look like in the flesh? Thanks!

·
Registered
364 Posts
OK, here we go... the first one sihpped out today. After now having made one, the final pricing will be $419 in chrome, and $299 in black. Which translates to a MEMBERS' price of $269.10 and in chrome $377.10.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts