Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive been the owner of a 2011 xr for 3 weeks today. ive owned hondas, trumps, suziki, bmw, and for the last while harleys. i sold my 04 rk and ended up buying the xr. im still on the fence after about 800 miles. the xr is more powerfull, handles better, cheaper by several grand for the same year. but the rk was much smoother, it had no vibration till about 80 then not much. the xr has vibration spots at all different speeds. at some speeds it is worse than the harley was at ANY speed. also the big clunk between off throttle and on, ive been learning to work around it but its almost impossible to drive the twisties without clunking it. i dont regret buying it just wish i loved it more.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
ive been the owner of a 2011 xr for 3 weeks today. ive owned hondas, trumps, suziki, bmw, and for the last while harleys. i sold my 04 rk and ended up buying the xr. im still on the fence after about 800 miles. the xr is more powerfull, handles better, cheaper by several grand for the same year. but the rk was much smoother, it had no vibration till about 80 then not much. the xr has vibration spots at all different speeds. at some speeds it is worse than the harley was at ANY speed. also the big clunk between off throttle and on, ive been learning to work around it but its almost impossible to drive the twisties without clunking it. i dont regret buying it just wish i loved it more.
I'm not sure to what clunk you are referring. Occasionally, mine will make a bit of a clunky sound after downshifting and feels as if its got a slipper clutch as the engine braking doesn't seem to work as it should. But from off throttle to on, my XR has almost perfect fueling (as have the Harleys I've ridden). Mine has the Stage 1 on it so that may have something to do with the improved drive.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mine makes a big clunk if you completely close the throttle and then open it back up. as soon as you get to the point past engine braking and before engine power. like when you hit a twistie and shut it all the way closed then roll back on after the curve. it seems to be a lot worse under 2000 rpm. its only got 1800 miles on it, i keep hoping it will get better. the rk would make the same clunk, but ONLY if you were going down a long hillside off power and opened it up a bit, not as loud as the vic though.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Welcome to the forum! If the clunk isn't shifter clunk then there are only a few other things it could be:

-Clunking on very bumpy roads is your kickstand bouncing and hitting the frame or it could be your rear suspension bottoming out.
--Check you rear shock air, be honest about your weight and set it 10-15 lbs higer than the sticker in the right saddlebag lid recommends. Higher weight equals better handling on twisties.

-Clunking on rough roads could be saddlebags or the lids.
--Make sure your dzus connectors are fully seated. Adjust lid rattle by pulling the chunk of rubber/foam (lid bumpers) out (double stick taped in) and put it back in slightly further out. The bumpers are located between the lid and the lid portion of the latch.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
there is more driveline lash in mine since the compensator upgrade,
especially in 5th. that may be the back and forth clunk you are
getting too. i was told there would be more. you get used to it to
a degree.--irv

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I've noticed a little gear lash on mine but never any worth mentioning and typically at lower speeds. And no vibrations that I can feel, either through the bars or through foot boards. My right mirror will start to buzz a little, but I never actually feel anything.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
there is more driveline lash in mine since the compensator upgrade,
especially in 5th. that may be the back and forth clunk you are
getting too. i was told there would be more. you get used to it to
a degree.--irv
exactly, its gearlash, what is the compensator upgrade? i just bought a 2011 with 1200 miles 3 weeks ago from a dealer, is it something re-called?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
some 2011 XR/XCs have a lot of torque compensator noise. You can hear it when the bike is in neutral with the clutch out, or sometimes in gear while moving. Victory's stance is the noise is not harmful, but they will replace the springs and washers in the torque compensator under warranty.

Mine's fairly loud, but I don't spend a lot of time idling in neutral and if I'm moving I usually have headphones in.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I don't have a XR, but I do have the gear lash too, it was way worse before I add the power commander and reset the TPS. Could be your throttle settings need reset. Just a thought. Others should know more than I.

·
Registered
634 Posts
mine makes a big clunk if you completely close the throttle and then open it back up. as soon as you get to the point past engine braking and before engine power. like when you hit a twistie and shut it all the way closed then roll back on after the curve. it seems to be a lot worse under 2000 rpm. its only got 1800 miles on it, i keep hoping it will get better. the rk would make the same clunk, but ONLY if you were going down a long hillside off power and opened it up a bit, not as loud as the vic though.
Could be you're in the wrong gear. Vic's don't like to be ridden under 2000 rpms. Lugging the engine is not good.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Could be you're in the wrong gear. Vic's don't like to be ridden under 2000 rpms. Lugging the engine is not good.
+1 on this. mine makes some gawd-awful racket if I'm trying to lug it around.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i was riding it some today and paying more attention. it clunks the worst when you are coming to a near stop to merge right .with the throttle closed. when you get on the throttle even a little bit it clunks, before it even gets back in to power. and sometimes when im stopping and pull the clutch in it will seem to hold a second then clunk when the clutch releases. it just has 1800 miles on it, i don't think anything is really wrong, at least i hope.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts