Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all from hot n flat Florida!

I currently ride a Triumph tiger 800, and I'm debating about returning to the cruiser world. I've always admired Victory bikes, and I'd like some advice.

There's a nice looking, all black Cross Roads with a driver backrest for sale near me at a nice price. I've got some lower back pains that are less when I'm sitting upright.

What are your thoughts on the bikes in general, and how your back feels after long rides. (I take 2-3 2000 mile trips per year).

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
I've never gone that far, but I can tell you that I rode my XC 325 miles with absolutely no back pain. I have 2 herniated disks and 3 bulging with arthritis (broke my back at one point, don't ask). I have only had mine for 1200 miles, so I can't say much about them, other than they are really comfortable for long rides!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Great Bike

I came from a Honda VTX to a 2012 XR and am very happy with it.
There are a few quirks (Loud Gear Clunk when shifting in 1st, easy to see swirls on Tank if Black) but the Pros far outweigh the cons.
It is a great Bike, Rides Great, I have a Utopia brand drivers backrest and that is one of the best Mods I have done.
Any specific questions?
:D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I came from a Honda VTX to a 2012 XR and am very happy with it.
There are a few quirks (Loud Gear Clunk when shifting in 1st,

Any specific questions?
:D
More of those quirks, I guess. Are there any major issues mechanically?
This one had a wind shield. Any wind buffering?
How is the slow speed maneuvering?
How is the butt comfort with the stock seat?
Has anyone else already answered these questions here that I should have searched for, before I asked them? :)

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
The slow speed maneuvering takes some getting used to because of the way the handlebars are shaped, but you get used to it. After that, it handles really well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, and this one is a 2014, 8-ball version, with , about 6k miles on it.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
144 Posts
More of those quirks, I guess. Are there any major issues mechanically?
This one had a wind shield. Any wind buffering?
How is the slow speed maneuvering?
How is the butt comfort with the stock seat?
Has anyone else already answered these questions here that I should have searched for, before I asked them? :)
Zero Mechanical issues. its a very solid bike.
Hard Bags have a wear issue on right side but easy fix.
One recall for re-torque of throttle cable. another for Passenger Backrest is only recalls that affected my year.
Slow Speed Maneuvering feels weird at first because of the long reach handlebars, but I adapted quickly. I feel its easier that the Honda VTX.
Seat was OK for me, but wife wants to stop about every hour. Its ok it gives me an excuse to massage it for her. thumb up
The Mono shock air pressure can be adjusted for comfort as well.
Some people complain of Belt noise, I tweaked a little and aligned as per the service manual and no issues. I have heard some complain of Clutch Cable breaking, the fix seems to be Clean and lube at both ends at oil change and so far no indication of any fraying or wear on either end.
Adding Fuel is an art. but once you get the right angle, the only issue is filling the last gallon since the cup like insert complicates it a bit.

You will enjoy the huge floorboard foot area, way better than pegs.
I feel with the Driver Backrest (that is adjustable), I sit up straighter and my lower back doesn't bother me as much as the VTX did. The VTX had Mustang seats. I am using Stock seat on the XR.
Oil Changes are Very easy to do.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Over 40k miles, no mechanical issues and no back pain (even with several buldging discs and a partially fused neck. Low speed handling is fine once you get used to it and comfort is great even on 12 hour + rides. I also do several 1000 - 3000 mile trips per year - the shorter trips are on 2 day weekends and the longer ones are usually 4 day trips. Throw a bag on the back with sleeping bags rolled inside a tent and go!

·
Registered
12,150 Posts
I'm the old timer here - 79 - and I do all my own work on my XR cuz its so easy...even dropping the rear wheel. I used to have at least two bikes, a city and a country ride. No more. My XR does all that in spades. I gladly run to the local grocery to get mama a potato or would pack up those huge cases and hit the road to go see the Atlantic. I did have my saddle modded, but not all butts are alike. I like being able to remove the windshield when it gets hot out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Great bike for long distance

I've put several 3-4 thousand mile trips on mine with no issues. I get bored long before I get sore haha

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for your responses!
I've ridden a VTX 1300 before, so that's a nice comparison.
I'm going for a test ride this afternoon, so wish me luck.

A few other things: how about the ground clearance in twisties? My trips are usually to hilly areas with twisty roads.

Also, I've read about a clutch cable breaking issue. Any experiences with that?

·
Registered
12,150 Posts
I have had sport-tourers tell me they can't keep up with me and my XR. This bagger-cruiser thinks its a sport bike! It loves to rev...in the twisties, I'm going around tight ones close to (if not at) 5K RPMs. If she has more than 3,000 miles on the clock, she's pretty well broken in. Any less, no. Check out a current thread about turning radius and view videos posted there. That will remove any doubt. There's plenty of ground clearance, lean angle and gobs of suspension travel.
Clutch cable ends (not the cable itself) need to be maintained with periodic cleaning and greasing so the barrel shaped end rotate freely. Proper cable adjustments will help with that and clutch longevity.
I have been riding for over 62 years now (yeah I'm the old timer here) and never liked cruisers for a ton of reasons. But cancer and - although I hate to admit it - age dictated I get one if I was to continue riding. I tried others, but when I tried an XR, I was won over by its user friendly intuitiveness. I used to have at least two bikes; a city errand runner and a country tourer and now I have only the XR cuz it does everything so well.
Don't worry about it...if its a good bike at a price you like, you will be ecstatic, like me. Besides,you have friends here who are glad to help you with anything except a loan.:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
RICZ, thanks for all the info, it was very helpful. I saw where the clutch cable ends are, and it looks like easy maintenance.

I took her for a test ride yesterday, and I was very impressed with how she handles, how she rides, and the info on the instruments. Gear position? Nice. Digital tach? Nice! Self canceling signals? Nice! Back rest is perfect for me! All the stuff I want, none of it is TOO much.

I took her on the best twisty road here (FL road, so, not so twisty), and I tried to scrape, but couldn't do it (25 mph posted, I was doing in the 40's)

I pulled the trigger, and ended up getting her for $10,988, and she has 5900 miles.

Thanks again for all the advice, and I'll be searching the forum for all the goodies I might get her in the future! (Like posting a picture, first)

·
Registered
12,150 Posts
Hey PayDro! Your conscience should be bothering you, stealing that beauty from that poor, unsuspecting dealer.:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts