Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there all,

I have a 2015 XC 8 Ball that I've ordered the Madstad brackets for. Me being a cheap bastard, was wondering if it was worth it to just buy the brackets, and use the OEM windshield that came with the bike (I think it's 7 inches).

I searched the forums, and most threads pertained to folks that had bought the windshield along with the brackets, or had an aftermarket shield they were going to use.

Has anyone used the little OEM windshield with this bracket system, and if so... how successful was it? I don't mind adding a windshield if needed.

And as always... I appreciate they help :wink

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have the Madstad brackets originally used with my Victory Flip shield...switched to my stock shield and find it much better. On lowest setting I can see right over it, and still feel no turbulence. in the rain and/or fog, I get a little spit of rain in the face, so I just raise it 1/2 way and it works great.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the Madstad brackets originally used with my Victory Flip shield...switched to my stock shield and find it much better. On lowest setting I can see right over it, and still feel no turbulence. in the rain and/or fog, I get a little spit of rain in the face, so I just raise it 1/2 way and it works great.

Nice! So it will work fine...

Question... is there rattling now with the stock (or any) windshield? If so, how much and does it increase with speed?

I appreciate your response

·
Premium Member
13,159 Posts
My Madstad bracket doesn't rattle at all. Sometimes the inner fairing piece on top (the piece you look over the top of) did but I fixed it.

I have a 12" National Cycle VStream shield I like. It's about as small as I would ever want to go and still get the wind protection I want. The guy who invented the Madstad system suggests we not use a recurve/flip windshield with his brackets because they are adjustable so if you need to you can adjust it up and look through it. The recurve distorts the view making the ride (more) dangerous at that point.

You bike your call. Just food for thought.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I bought the brackets with an OEM 9" from ebay. It works pretty good but we had put a Madstad shield on my wife's Magnum and I thought it did a better job controlling the air. I was still content for a while with the OEM, but I got really tired of looking at the raised outside lower edge gaps and decided to switch to a Madstad 9". I prefer both the airflow and appearance over the OEM. YMMV:smile

Attachments

·
Registered
328 Posts
The stock should work fine. My fairing ended up rattling because the windshield was no longer wedged under it. I fixed that rattle by putting a few strips of thin weather striping between fairing and inner fairing.

·
Premium Member
13,159 Posts
I bought the brackets with an OEM 9" from ebay. It works pretty good but we had put a Madstad shield on my wife's Magnum and I thought it did a better job controlling the air. I was still content for a while with the OEM, but I got really tired of looking at the raised outside lower edge gaps and decided to switch to a Madstad 9". I prefer both the airflow and appearance over the OEM. YMMV:smile
You bring up a good point. Although I have no complaints of the VStream styling; I kinda prefer the more contemporary wrap around styling like in the pic you posted. I may need to give a Madstad shield more thought. In for a penny in for a pound so to speak.

On another Madstad note; I have the original design he came up with which still works - just not as well as this newer design. If anyone wants it they can have it for $25 plus actual shipping charges from 86409. I'd guesstimate $10-$12. I'll take a pic and post it in its own thread. Sorry about the hijack. Note: This has found a new home.

·
Registered
154 Posts
No rattling from my madstad brackets or the shield at all...unless you forget to cinch the knobs down

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Hate to be negative, but I had a darker OEM shield that I used with the Madstad and the outer-lower edges of the shield vibrated so badly with the wind that it cracked my shield on a long trip. Had to throw the shield away, after several attempts to repair it on the trip so it was still usable while away from home.

Was terribly frustrated. 1) the shield looked awesome on my bike. 2) tore up my shield and had to toss it.

Not sure if anyone else has had this problem.

·
Premium Member
13,159 Posts
Rusty; this is the first time I've heard of this issue. You aren't being negative at all. Did you take any pictures so we can see how you had it set up at the time. They can be adjusted in so many ways It makes me wonder if it was somehow set up differently than most are. We try to learn from our own and from others mistakes sometimes.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
BBob,

Sorry, no pics. It was frustrating though, went on a trip from Las Vegas to Reno and had vibration problems and a crack form a couple hours into the trip. By the time I got to Reno, the crack was about three inches long from the shield outer tips vibrating.

I tried a number of setting on the windshield to get the vibration to stop, but to no luck. I was just glad to make it home in one piece, after making some makeshift repairs with glue and some bandage fabric.

Again, very frustrated. I have another OEM shield, but am unwilling to see if I get the same results and have to trash it as well.

I was just trying to find a way to stop the buffering I get on my bike.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey there all,

Well, I got the new brackets tonight, and put them on...

HOLY ****, WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Seriously, this is like falling in love all over again! I took the bike out, and no matter what speed I was going, there was virtually no head buffeting... AT ALL! There was just enough air to let me remember that I was on a bike.

My music sounds louder, I can hear my exhaust better, and I can see EVERYTHING much better (I guess I didn't realize just how bad the buffeting was!).

This is by far and away the BEST upgrade I have done to this bike so far! I am thoroughly impressed with this system!

I do have a couple of issues, though...

For one, I can see that the part of the OEM shield that was layered in the fairing is scratched all to hell. Since I have an 8 Ball XC, the shield was dark... the scratches are basically white... so unless someone has a great solution to hide those scratches... I may wind up having to get the Madstad shield after all.

And for the second issue... I'm not sure if it's the fairing rattling (like BBob and Newj64 mentioned), or if it's the windshield itself. I may have to tinker around a little to figure it out.

If anyone has any suggestions... I'm all ears.

Thank you all so much for helping with this... like I said, this forum has been a HUGE help in getting issues like this resolved!

·
Registered
742 Posts
the scratches are basically white ~ fairing rattling
For the scratches you will need to polish them out but that's easier said than done. You'll probably have to sand the edge till the lines are completely gone then follow up with ever finer grits of wet paper till it's almost shiny again, then compound. No big deal if you have those things already laying around. As for the rattle I'd think reaching up there with your hand while riding would tell you if it's the fairing or not...then wedge in the appropriate shims till it stops. Once you have proven it can be stopped then a more cosmetically acceptable solution can follow.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Another thing to look for concerning the rattle is check to see if the lower set of bolts (on the Madstad bracket) are snug (not tight). These are the 2 bolts below the hand knobs that have a nylon insert lock nut on them. If they are too loose, they allow the windshield bracket to rattle some. I had to snug up both my brackets and my wife's.

I also put a thin piece of rubber between the Madstad bracket and the mounting surface to keep the plastic "visor duct" (#3 on the parts schematic) from making noise. I hope this link works. http://pdn1.vnexttech.com/vic/vic/windshieldmtg/14cct15/assembly_files/12/3_2.png

Good luck.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
Hate to be negative, but I had a darker OEM shield that I used with the Madstad and the outer-lower edges of the shield vibrated so badly with the wind that it cracked my shield on a long trip. Had to throw the shield away, after several attempts to repair it on the trip so it was still usable while away from home.

Was terribly frustrated. 1) the shield looked awesome on my bike. 2) tore up my shield and had to toss it.

Not sure if anyone else has had this problem.
Do you still have the bracket setup? If so, would you sell?

·
Registered
28 Posts
When i got my bike home finally, the original blade shield was in the saddlebag and scratched up quite nicely. There were a few on the bike as well and I picked up some ScratchX 2.0 from Meguires. For s&g's i did the blade as well and to my surprise it took most of em out. If I spent more time I could probably make it better but got a new flip coming so not all too worried but my point is it might be worth a shot.

·
Registered
154 Posts
For scratches on tinted glass or plastic I use a black wax pencil (or crayon) and fill them in, then buff lightly. This has saved many pairs of sun glasses and has worked well with a buddy's tinted windshield.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
I have been thinking of getting a Madstad for my XCT. But heli bars come first. :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, I tried to sand the scratches out of the windshield (by first starting with 800, then 1000 grit sandpaper), then used compound to smooth it back out. Once I cleaned it all up, I realized that I had made a bad situation worse :eek

Oh well... This shield will most likely be swapped out with an aftermarket shield. I'm normally a painfully cheap bastard, but I have learned that in trying to save pennies, I find myself tripping over dollars...

Guess it's time to order the Madstad windshield...

Thank you all for the help... greatly appreciated! This has been the best upgrade to my bike so far...

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've been considering the VStream on my Madstad too. But I like a 9" and the only 9" in the VStream is the tinted one.

How does the VStream compare to the stock or Madstad shield?

My Madstad bracket doesn't rattle at all. Sometimes the inner fairing piece on top (the piece you look over the top of) did but I fixed it.

I have a 12" National Cycle VStream shield I like. It's about as small as I would ever want to go and still get the wind protection I want. The guy who invented the Madstad system suggests we not use a recurve/flip windshield with his brackets because they are adjustable so if you need to you can adjust it up and look through it. The recurve distorts the view making the ride (more) dangerous at that point.

You bike your call. Just food for thought.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts