Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my XCT for almost 6 months and everything on it is PERFECT for me, save one.

I ride to work every day that it's not raining and above 25 degrees. My commute starts at 5:00 AM, so pretty much in the dark all the way in. There are enough elevation changes along my commute (hills) that the temperature and humidity often creates fog on the windshield. Foggy windshield + dark + NOT being able to see over the top of the stock tour shield is a big problem. I'm around 5' 11" - 33 inseam and sitting straight up in the seat, I just can't see over the top. Decided that wiping top of shield with glove while riding or peering around the side of the shield just wasn't particularly safe.

So I knew I needed a shorter windshield, but which one? Digging and reading and comparing, I settled on the Madstad Road Glide 13" clear.

Their site recommended I get the 11" shield based on my height, but I opted for the taller, as I like the bug-blocking aspects of plastic better than my face. I mentioned to Chris there and he assured me their 90 day satisfaction guarantee, I could exchange for whatever I thought would work best.

Ordering was a piece of cake, but I wanted to mention that if you're considering a purchase from them, don't let the pre-populated shipping amount scare you off when you select your shield. My shipping costs were about 1/3 of what was initially shown on their web site, which I'd guess starts with the "worst case shipping costs".

I placed my order on Christmas Eve, so I didn't really expect to receive it until after New Years. It did show up on 1/2, so based on when they were supposed to get back in their offices, I think it got here pretty quickly.

Installation was a no-brainer. Take the old shield and brackets off, put the new ones on. I'll spare all of the pics I took along the process, but did want to show you the old vs. new profile from the rider's seat. You can tell that I can see over the top with no problem now.

I was still hoping for the best of both worlds - getting a shorter shield PLUS the benefits of a touring shield. Since it was all the way up to 40 this afternoon, I decided to check it out and went on a short ride.

I can tell you that I am truly amazed at the technology behind this product. As simple of a concept as it is, I'm getting no blowing wind in my face at all, only gentle air flow, and not substantially more than I was getting with the tour shield - exactly as they advertise.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just saw today where you can "try before you buy" at participating Victory dealers. I believe it is a Clockworks recurved windshield that has had good reviews by Harley guys.

·
Premium Member
13,280 Posts
Looks like a good shield. Shaped for better side coverage. It looks like you mounted the Madstad Brackets correctly too. I've seen pics of some that were upside down so they could not reach up and loosen the knobs to change the angle on the fly.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
...almost forgot the finished front view. I think I'm ok with the look as well as the function.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Looks like a good shield. Shaped for better side coverage. It looks like you mounted the Madstad Brackets correctly too. I've seen pics of some that were upside down so they could not reach up and loosen the knobs to change the angle on the fly.
BBob I'm one of those people you think have their's mounted upside down. When I look at these pictures versus mine…they look the same. The angle of adjustment is at the top of the bracket on this one…so was mine. I went and took off my windshield to double-check…I'm confused. When mounted, the angle of adjustment for the windshield is at the top of each bracket. I can loosen mine, reach up and push the top of the windshield forward or back on the fly, if I was inclined to try to do so, as I was going down the road.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,280 Posts
I guess I didn't understand what the other person was saying then because it sounded like it would be dangerous for him to adjust it on the fly. I don't see it. Yours looks correctly mounted too. It could be I just could not see the knobs at the top of the first pic I saw on the thread we talked about it. There. Now we are both confused. cheers

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Bob...you and several members (and I think even on the website) mention that this newest version of the Madstad Brackets can be adjusted "on the fly". OK, I know that "common sense" means that you pull over, STOP and adjust while the bike is stopped.

For those of us without any SENSE...is it possible that "on the fly" can also mean while riding (if very careful of course)? And if so, is it an easy adjustment.

I put this in an older thread too Bob...just answer once.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
OK, I know that "common sense" means that you pull over, STOP and adjust while the bike is stopped.
+1 on your post...agree that no one should be trying to adjust there windshield while driving down the road.

·
Registered
133 Posts
...almost forgot the finished front view. I think I'm ok with the look as well as the function.
I was never crazy for the look but I am at the point I am going for function. That windshield will solve the problem I have with my Gustaffson. It's too short on the sides and the dirty air hits me on the side of the head. I'm going to go with a smoke tint which will semi-hide the brackets. Thanks for the pics.

·
Registered
168 Posts
What's the difference between the Road Glide shield and the regular Madstad shield?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've had my XCT for almost 6 months and everything on it is PERFECT for me, save one.

I ride to work every day that it's not raining and above 25 degrees. My commute starts at 5:00 AM, so pretty much in the dark all the way in. There are enough elevation changes along my commute (hills) that the temperature and humidity often creates fog on the windshield. Foggy windshield + dark + NOT being able to see over the top of the stock tour shield is a big problem. I'm around 5' 11" - 33 inseam and sitting straight up in the seat, I just can't see over the top. Decided that wiping top of shield with glove while riding or peering around the side of the shield just wasn't particularly safe.

So I knew I needed a shorter windshield, but which one? Digging and reading and comparing, I settled on the Madstad Road Glide 13" clear.

Their site recommended I get the 11" shield based on my height, but I opted for the taller, as I like the bug-blocking aspects of plastic better than my face. I mentioned to Chris there and he assured me their 90 day satisfaction guarantee, I could exchange for whatever I thought would work best.

Ordering was a piece of cake, but I wanted to mention that if you're considering a purchase from them, don't let the pre-populated shipping amount scare you off when you select your shield. My shipping costs were about 1/3 of what was initially shown on their web site, which I'd guess starts with the "worst case shipping costs".

I placed my order on Christmas Eve, so I didn't really expect to receive it until after New Years. It did show up on 1/2, so based on when they were supposed to get back in their offices, I think it got here pretty quickly.

Installation was a no-brainer. Take the old shield and brackets off, put the new ones on. I'll spare all of the pics I took along the process, but did want to show you the old vs. new profile from the rider's seat. You can tell that I can see over the top with no problem now.

I was still hoping for the best of both worlds - getting a shorter shield PLUS the benefits of a touring shield. Since it was all the way up to 40 this afternoon, I decided to check it out and went on a short ride.

I can tell you that I am truly amazed at the technology behind this product. As simple of a concept as it is, I'm getting no blowing wind in my face at all, only gentle air flow, and not substantially more than I was getting with the tour shield - exactly as they advertise.
At 5"11', are you looking over the windshield? I'm 6'1 and will get the same windshield if you're looking, not through.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tinstar, I WANT to look through (but CAN look over), so got the 13" instead of the 11" which they recommended for my height. Will raise it up a little more I think.

At 6'1, they'll recommend the same 13" for you, but have a very generous return/exchange policy if it's not right for you.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Tinstar, I WANT to look through (but CAN look over), so got the 13" instead of the 11" which they recommended for my height. Will raise it up a little more I think.

At 6'1, they'll recommend the same 13" for you, but have a very generous return/exchange policy if it's not right for you.
Plus, the adjustable-ness would allow movement up and down enough to perfect the height?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Exactly...

·
Registered
340 Posts
Are the brackets now shipping with those circular bumpers on the shield mounting surface as shown in Scotchbriar's photo, or were those added after the fact? Curious because I noticed the back side of my shield is getting gouged at the top corners of the brackets. I was going to give the MadStad foks a call about it, but hadn't been concerned enough to do so yet.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Are the brackets now shipping with those circular bumpers on the shield mounting surface as shown in Scotchbriar's photo, or were those added after the fact? Curious because I noticed the back side of my shield is getting gouged at the top corners of the brackets. I was going to give the MadStad foks a call about it, but hadn't been concerned enough to do so yet.
What you see in my picture is how they came from Madstad. Yes, it included those circular bumpers you referenced.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Good to know, I guess my problem has already been addressed. I'll have to give Mark a call and see if he can send me some bumpers.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The shape,

See the pictures . . .
Now, I'm torn as to which shape. I want the most wind deflection so I would guess that the Roadglide shield would be the best one. Also, since I won't be looking through it, I was going with the darker tint for style purposes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts