Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to purchase a Madstad windshield to go with my brackets soon (currently looking through the Klock Werks Flip which is annoying). I am going to go with the 9" (vertically challenged) but I didn't realize they had 2 styles. The cutout OEM style and then a solid bottom one. Does anyone know if there are in difference with the airflow, pluses or minus'? I have shown 2 examples.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I never realized that they have a "solid" version. You have to go to page 2 and 3 of their Vic windshield pages ( Cross Country / Cross Country Tour ) in order to order that kind. (But, as you copied in your post, there is a picture of both kinds on that first page.)

As you can see in the air-flow diagram on their home page ( Home - Madstad Engineering ), air has to come underneath the windshield to make the anti-buffeting system work. I suspect, therefore, that the difference is that the solid (i.e., non-cut-out) version has to reside, at its lowest setting, farther above the deck of the fairing. Without such positioning, I don't think you'd get sufficient air flow from the bottom of it.

Put the other way, I think the bulk of cut-out version can, in its lowest position, be closer to the top of the fairing.

And put a third way, this implies to me that both systems would work, but that the buyer is offered a choice, for cosmetic and esthetic reasons.

Over the years, I've read that some folks have just the Madstad brackets, and some other brand of windshield, and that they are pleased with whatever setup they have. (This is aside from the many folks who think the brackets are fugly. Also, you can't pull this stunt with windshields with curved upper lips in them, such as the KockWerks Flare, because if you raise the windshield too high, you'll wind up looking through that curved part, which is not intended to be looked through.)

I've been using the 11" light tint Madstad windshield and brackets for almost three years now -- see attached -- and I'm pleased with it. I'm 5'9", and mostly leave it in its lowest position, slanted as much as it goes ... unless it's cold or windy or I'm doing a superslab day; in those cases, I'll raise it higher.

Incidentally, the first time I was in decent rain with the system, I moved my left hand up, down, and around, and verified that the rain flow was the same as the regular, dry, air flow.

Attachments

·
Registered
314 Posts
The Ness flip screen works well with the Madstad brackets and doesn't look too bad. It can be tilted enough to be out of the sight line as well. At least for anyone 5'10" or taller.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
I bought mine used and it has the solid bottom it's 13". I keep it all the way down to get it just below center vision at about 100 ft.

I never have an issue with buffeting (5'10 stocky) 1/2 helmet, but a friend who rode my bike with a full face helmet did (5'10"slightly longer torso). He especially experienced it in any crosswinds. He ended up raising the shield so it was center line in his vision if there was significant crosswinds or he felt like a bobble head doll.

I do get a little more air movement than I would like behind the shield and I would guess by looking at the pictures you posted and the comments that have been posted by others that I need to modify the bottom edge of mine to allow more air flow which should decrease the turbulence I am getting.

I don't know if that helps you in your decision or not but thanks for the post. I wasn't aware they made two styles.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I might go with the cut out. I think it will look better. I am only 5'8" and they say that the 9" will be best. I appreciate the input from everyone. I am hoping for warmer temperatures in the next week or so to get rid of our snow. I will try to remember to post a picture once I get it installed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts