Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a unique situation. I am getting a Magnum next week on the way to Daytona Bike week, which would have been no big deal but the wife wants to go and won't ride without a backrest. I am new to Victory but a wrench by trade so ability is not a issue. The question is how much trouble is it to take the saddlebag filler strips off and install a backrest once we get there? whats the best option for backrests or is there a seat available with something built in? pics or instructions would be a help. do most cross country parts fit? thanks, mike

·
Registered
471 Posts
rmc, there is a lot of feedback on this forum about backrests.
I bought the Vic lock and ride and the wife hated it, too low across her back and tilted back too far. I've since tweaked it but it was a lot of work to get it where she likes it.
Good luck with your trip.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I understand that if you remove the color matched fillers, that the regular lock and ride will fit like any other XC. Whether or not you like it- only you can say. Reviews might be close to useless on stuff like this.. all butts & backs are different.

However- the fillers have a hole & rubber grommet that supports and holds the antenna in place. I would GUESS that without the fillers- it may move about some. This in turn- might be remedied with one of those shorty antennas.

I reckon someone out there might be able to shape those fillers to accommodate both.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
I bought the Vic lock and ride and the wife hated it, too low across her back and tilted back too far. I've since tweaked it but it was a lot of work to get it where she likes it.
I'm curious, how did you "tweak" the backrest to improve it for your wife? Mine says it is angled too far for best comfort as well. She still uses it for peace of mind, but would like it to be more forward.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Luvmyride
Dont want hi jack this thread so I'll post the mods in another thread

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
looks like an option. i have to assume since magnum is not listed the one for a cross country will fit? mustang 79567 list $754

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
there is a guy here that modified his fillers to accept the lock n ride

his name here is Possum

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just need a temp solution for bike week that I can do when I get there. If I can take them off easily and leave off for the week, thats great.

·
Registered
147 Posts
From what I see looking at the parts manual you can take off the bags and the bag mounts (3 bolts in the mounts) to remove the fillers and install the lock and ride spacers, bolt it back up and be just like a XC for the backrest.

As for the antenna just do a black tie wrap in a figure 8 through the bracket and around the antenna and it keeps it positioned. Keep it a bit loose and it will move without flopping over.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm curious myself when you mentioned about tweaking your passenger seat to make it more comfortable. I know it took a lot of work so how and what did it take for you to make it more comfy for the passenger. I obviously have the same seat so your assistance in tweaking the seat is much appreciated. Ride safe...

AL

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Got a buddy who is looking at the bike at a dealer and they say it won't work because of a flat bar instead of a round one? wtf. I told him I saw pics of one installed on the forum. any ideas what that means. Mike

1 - 14 of 14 Posts