Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the magnum seat itself any lower than the OEM Victory CC/CR seat? I know the seat height on the Magnum bike is about 0.6" lower (CC=26.3", Magnum=25.7"), but I cannot determine from any article whether that is from the bike's 1" rear suspension drop, or from the new seat that is maybe more scooped out.

I want a lower seat height, and was going to get the plain super low seat (1" drop). But if the Magnum seat is also lower, I'd prefer that seat since its a little more stylish.

The main reason I want to sit lower is that I have a 25" Cee Bailey Shield (w/ lowers, w/ Goldwing vent) on my CR, but my head is just a hair too high still and I get minor buffeting. I already look through the shield but I don't mind that. My hope is to sit a little lower behind the shield to get my head out of the turbulent air.

If the lower seat doesn't work, I intend to try one of those wings/lips attached to the top edge of the shield. Memphis Shades, Laminar Lip, or MRA all make a version. The wing is adjustable to angle air further upward.

·
Registered
399 Posts
From sitting on it I am 98% sure that it is lower. Since I feel lower in relation to the dash.

I will say that having sat on the super low seat for a minute I think that may actually be the more comfortable seat.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is interesting to me you thought the super low was more comfortable. The Magnum seat at most may have a 0.6" drop since the total seat height drop on the Magnum bike is only 0.6". The super low seat I assume loses more foam to achieve the 1" drop. I would have assumed more foam = more comfort. Maybe the foam density on the magnum is different than the super low, independent of how much foam is present?

I need to visit my local dealer and see if he has either seat for me to try.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found a thread that may provide an answer

http://www.victoryforums.com/34-victory-cross-country-cross-roads/134913-cross-country-vs-magnum-lowered.html

One individual says he asked a Victory person, and they said the seat is the same thickness as the normal seat. This implies the 0.6" seat height drop is from the roughly 1" suspension drop.

Looking at ground clearance for the CC and Magnum, the CC has 5.8" ground clearance, the Magnum has 5.3". That would mostly account for the 0.6" seat height reduction they quote between the two.

Based on that information, it would appear the Magnum seat is fairly similar to oem, maybe at most 0.1-0.2" lower. I guess I will be looking at a super low seat then to get the full 1" lower height :)

·
Registered
399 Posts
That is interesting to me you thought the super low was more comfortable. The Magnum seat at most may have a 0.6" drop since the total seat height drop on the Magnum bike is only 0.6". The super low seat I assume loses more foam to achieve the 1" drop. I would have assumed more foam = more comfort. Maybe the foam density on the magnum is different than the super low, independent of how much foam is present?

I need to visit my local dealer and see if he has either seat for me to try.
I think it had to do with how my hips aligned to the back of the seat. Seemed a bit more back friendly.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I replaced my stock Magnum seat with a Corbin. Where I was more than flat-footed with the Magnum seat, the Corbin is higher (flat-footed - just not as flat-footed, if that makes sense). I had a Cross Country before this bike and I'd ride on the balls of my feet when I stopped. I'd say the stock Magnum seat, even with the lowering, is less thick than a Cross.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The stock seat has great lumbar support....too bad it's not more comfortable for the passenger. The Minister of Finance will NOT ride without a comfortable backrest!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have both the stock and magnum seat for my XC.

The magnum seat does sit you lower. I would guesstimate 1/2". I love the looks of it but my daughter and wife do not like it for 2up.

I can almost flat foot my bike with Mag seat but I am on my tippy toes with XC seat. My bike also has a 1" lower link. I am one of them funny shaped guys with long torso short legs (good for wrestling).

I get lower back pains with both seats on long rides. It does seem a bit worse with the Mag seat. I don't think its my seat though. I think I need longer bars so I don't have a bend in my lower back.

I think I might send my stock seat to get worked on this winter and sell my magnum seat :( or even try a mustang seat.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Just replaced my stock cc seat with the magnum. Deffinely lower than stock. My old windshield was perfect height now I look through the curve. 1/2 3/4 inch lower but is way better for me. Thinner in the tank curve & how it rolls down on the sides. Tried a mustang way wider in that area & rubbed on the bags too. Wasn't for me

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
I just ordered an adjustable link for the XC. I found, with the bike loaded down with camping gear and general stuff, I had to pump up the shocks quite a bit which raised the back end. I'm hoping I can use my Ultimate seat on long rides and loaded for bear by adjusting the back end lower for those trips. I may even find I like it for daily use although the KP is what I use daily. I have been known to use the XC for food shopping trips when the trunk is on. It keeps me from buying too much. ;)

Victory Cross Country Hardball Vision Magnum Adjustable lowering Link | eBay

I also found with the shock pumped up to accommodate the extra weight; the bike leaned way over on the kick stand which when loaded up can be a bit of an effort to stand it up. I found myself wondering if I had bent the kick stand with all the extra weight. I don't think I did but it did have me wondering.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just replaced my stock cc seat with the magnum. Deffinely lower than stock. My old windshield was perfect height now I look through the curve. 1/2 3/4 inch lower but is way better for me. Thinner in the tank curve & how it rolls down on the sides. Tried a mustang way wider in that area & rubbed on the bags too. Wasn't for me
Thanks for the feedback on the mustang. I really didn't want one of them tractor seats. :smile Ill keep my search going.

·
13,177 Posts
cmc1891

you don't say where you live. Maybe you can find a bike and sit on it and see if changes your sitting height

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I live in Peoria, IL. I tried calling the dealers in Peoria, Springfield, Champaign, and the Quad Cities... no one had the super low seat in stock or on a bike to try. I figured at least one would have one as an example to show off to folks, but no dice.

I think I am going to go with a Magnum seat. The super low may be a hair lower but with all of you confirming the magnum is at least somewhat lower on a stock CR or CC, I'd trade a little less drop for something more interesting looking.

Thanks for the help everyone!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts