Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting together with @broggyr for one of our "Maintenance Days" tomorrow. I'm loading my XC up on the truck and heading to Broggyr's, we are tearing into the front ends, for a fork oil change, head bearings and I'm replacing the front tire with another Cobra :)
My the cosmetic work is pretty much done(all I have left is to stripe the fuel tank) So, after tomorrow the bike will be ready to roll out into the 2019 ride season :D thumb up
I think I'll record some of our antics this time...

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
In addition to that, I'll be swapping out my shifter ratchet with the new version. I have to re-tension my belt, probably another turn or two on the adjusters. Other than that, it's almost ride ready!

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have to re-tension my belt, probably another turn or two on the adjusters.
Now that you mention it, I also have to do this... and re-grease the rear suspension pin while I'm back there.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Turns out I didn't need to do as much work as thought...Once the front tire was off, Broggy and I agreed there was plenty of tread with no cupping so, it was too early for a change and my belt tension was in spec. The biggie was that there was absolutely no play or hitching in the steering head, so I decided to leave the bearings for another year. We both needed a fork oil change and seal cleaning. Broggs also needed new primary seals and the updated shift-shaft installed...the work got done and the bikes are ready.

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
My legs still feel like rubber >.<

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts

·
Registered
12,162 Posts
I loved that video - that looked like fun for you two. As it should be. When you are still doing this (or think you can) and you are 82, your whole body will feel like rubber and you can't wait the the acetaminophen to do its work. But I don't let that slow me down and neither should it you guys.
More Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid videos please.

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
I loved that video - that looked like fun for you two. As it should be. When you are still doing this (or think you can) and you are 82, your whole body will feel like rubber and you can't wait the the acetaminophen to do its work. But I don't let that slow me down and neither should it you guys.
More Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid videos please.
My arms were screaming the next day as were my legs. Still felt the legs this morning. It was definitely a Tylenol PM night. And, 82? I'm just over the HALFWAY point... :eek

·
Registered
146 Posts
Pain ... you are brave (or foolish, I haven't decided which yet) for running your bike up into the bed of your truck on those ramps by yourself!

I load my bike up onto my work platform by myself, but I have a 'dab' plank beside the ramp just in case it's needed! :grin

Looks like you guys had a blast!

Dusty

·
Registered
602 Posts
Pain ... you are brave (or foolish, I haven't decided which yet) for running your bike up into the bed of your truck on those ramps by yourself!

I load my bike up onto my work platform by myself, but I have a 'dab' plank beside the ramp just in case it's needed! :grin

Dusty
Kewl lift Dusty....I like it!!

Almost time to get a ride in up here? 54 on thurs they're sayin' we'll see...

Ride Safe,

Rob

·
Registered
146 Posts
Kewl lift Dusty....I like it!!

Almost time to get a ride in up here? 54 on thurs they're sayin' we'll see...

Ride Safe,

Rob
NEVER trust weather forecasts, especially at this time of year up here!!!
Much like the Boy Who Cried Wolf, if you know what I mean! LOL
I can wait. Not like I don't ride much anyways when riding season finally does get here !! :devil

Besides, I'm renovating my shop right now, so all my time is spent out there doing that while we suffer through our typical weather

Dusty

·
Registered
602 Posts
NEVER trust weather forecasts, especially at this time of year up here!!!
Much like the Boy Who Cried Wolf, if you know what I mean! LOL
I can wait. Not like I don't ride much anyways when riding season finally does get here !! :devil

Besides, I'm renovating my shop right now, so all my time is spent out there doing that while we suffer through our typical weather

Dusty
LOL i wasn't trusting them was being optimistic!!....LOL that's my story and I'm sticking with it 8)

Your shop looks awesome I will have to holler at you next time I head down your way and stop in for a guided tour....8)

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Dusty
I have a triple ramp setup for loading the Vic....I've been on & off that truck many, many times using it and have had no problems. The only reason I balked on the first attempt was because without the fairing in my view of the forward portion of the bike was fucked up and I wasn't 100% sure I was lined up where I wanted to be.

Here's of the ramp setup I use(the middle ramp has a 1500lbs rating and the side ramps are rated to 600lbs each):

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts

Dusty
My Husky tool chest is very similar to yours :)

·
12,984 Posts
Pain
you need a 2x4 under ramp so you don't bottom out getting into the truck.
To bad your so far away I would bring my bike in for service to you 2

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Hmm thought there was some complicated process to the forks. Looks like you just drained and filled.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hmm thought there was some complicated process to the forks. Looks like you just drained and filled.
There was more to it than I recorded and we also cleaned the seals....But a simple fork oil change doesn't have to be that difficult. The two keys are; 1. pump and re-drain a couple times to get as much of the old oil out as possible. 2. Measure all the old oil that drains out(16oz per fork out of mine) and replace that amount with new oil. If you want to make adjustments then you can raise or lower the level with an inexpensive kit from anywhere(Amazon..) or play with the oil weight. Stock is a 5w but I went up to 10w a long time ago.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts