Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sitting on my bike eating breakfast, dude walks up. Beautiful bike, who makes the Victoria? Lol
Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
funny for sure..but to be honest some dont realize who Vics really are or where the come from..I tell people all the time who,what where, and how. They all end up saying that is one real nice looking bike.

·
Premium Member
13,728 Posts
People ask me all the time how I like my "Polaris". Sometimes I correct them. If I know them and I get the feeling they are trying to get my goat; I'll come back with something equally sarcastic like 'not bad for a snowmobile'. It lets them know they failed and we can still be friends. ;)

In a sea of HD's my "Polaris" still stands out. :D

I wonder if they will call the new Indian a Polaris too. Should be interesting to see.

·
Registered
51 Posts
In a sea of HD's my "Polaris" still stands out. :D

I wonder if they will call the new Indian a Polaris too. Should be interesting to see.
I believe they are moving a way from calling their motorcycles Polaris since the 2013 badge does not have Polaris in it.

·
Premium Member
13,728 Posts
I believe they are moving a way from calling their motorcycles Polaris since the 2013 badge does not have Polaris in it.
Yes. I believe you are right. I was thinking more about what others call them.

I never did like how they included the name Polaris in the logo. I changed mine right away or removed them.

I think in first 14 years they wanted to let people know the Victory brand was backed by a known, reliable, and established brand. Now they want the Victory and Indian brands to be autonomous. Works for me. ;)

I also hope the reason the Kingpin was retired was because they are going to use something somewhat similar in a new Indian model. Maybe a Scout. If this is true; it will make the Kingpin a highly desirable model I think since it would then be both the forefather and little brother to the (Polaris) Scout since technically Indian has been around since 1901. Using the 111 Indian motor in something as light and nimble as a Kingpin/Scout would really be something I think.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
We ran into some Goldwing riders yesterday. They left Phoenix several days ago and are heading to Boston. They rode all day the day before and got a room at a hotel. There were some Harleys in the parking lot when they went to sleep. In the morning when they got up the Harleys were gone and the two Goldwings were pushed over in the parking lot.

Nobody, ever, pulled some bullsh!t like that because of misplaced pride in the Victory brand or jealousy over a better bike from Japan.... Reason #57 why I don't own HD. I don't want to be lumped in with azzholes like that. There's a big difference between light-hearted ribbing/just not knowing and downright vandalism.

"Victory, huh. Are those from Canada? Is that a Bombardier engine?" or "I heard the engine was made by S&S" or "They're owned by a Chinese company, right?"......
I have been told "Riding a Victory is only slightly less embarrassing than being seen on a Japanese Harley copy".

Funny, I don't have to talk smack, since my bike is more than capable of doing all the talking and I am more than capable of riding it... Talk is cheap, get your keys.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
That is just about as low as you can go, pushing over another mans motorcycle just because you don't like it. I don't know many guys with goldwings but the few I do know are serious riders who will ride all day no matter the weather. I do know alot of HD riders and 95% of them are weekend warriors who just want to be seen on their bike, rarely ride to far from home, and will not let their bikes see a drop of rain. I have never run into that kind of harrasment and hope I never do from a**holes like that. I usually ride solo or with the wife but I go on a couple of trips with some friends each year and all 8 or so of us all ride different makes and/or models and styles of motorcycles and each of us appreciate the others choice of bike.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Just the thoughts of finding my bike on its side would be very upsetting. So I bet the Gold Wing owners were pissed.

I was talking to a girl on a 1200 sportster at the coffee shop and she walked over to my bike and said wow very nice what is it. I said Victory the other American Motorcycle. I think she didn't know what I was talking about.

It seems the Harley owners around here that know what a Victory is will wave ..... That is if they don't hate the brand!!,!

Rob

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I also hope the reason the Kingpin was retired was because they are going to use something somewhat similar in a new Indian model. Maybe a Scout. If this is true; it will make the Kingpin a highly desirable model I think since it would then be both the forefather and little brother to the (Polaris) Scout since technically Indian has been around since 1901. Using the 111 Indian motor in something as light and nimble as a Kingpin/Scout would really be something I think.
I highly doubt that they would not put the 111 in a scout "equivalent". The WHOLE POINT to the scout was/will be as a bike that is lighter and easier to ride for a beginning rider. However, I can envision your premise for the Kingpin re-use and could see it's potential as a scout frame but any engine they threw in it would HAVE (in my mind) to be significantly smaller (say a 1100 or 1200 at MOST) in order to accomplish that "starter bike" motif. Would you still be as enamored with the KP if it's status was "demoted" in that same process?

·
Registered
12,329 Posts
When I meet up with an H-D rider, I open first with, I see you're riding the OTHER American bike. Disarms them pronto.

·
Premium Member
1,182 Posts
I had some HD guys ask me where did you get your wheels on that Harley. I said what Harley? Is that not a Harley? I told them it was a Victory made by Polaris. Then they wanted to argue that it was a Harley. I just laughed and walked away..:ltr:

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I rode XR to the grocery story yesterday to pick up a few items. Came out and there was 3 guys with their HD shirts on looking over my bike. They were cool guys who were very interested in the bike and the Victory brand. A few years ago I was on a trip down in GA when some idiots started making fun of two guys in my groups bikes (goldwing and 1100 shadow) and was they kept saying they need to buy an American made bike. My buddies just pointed to the stickers on their bikes showing they were made here. I know that does not make them true American bikes and they don't make them here now but it shows you how much people actually know about motorcycles they are trying to bash.

·
Registered
123 Posts
My hubby and I took a ride to the ocean yesterday. Two Harley guys came up to my Hubbys Indian and talked for a half an hour about how great it is. My Hubby kept referring to my bike (maybe he didn't want me to get jealous haha) but the Harley guys wouldn't even look at it. How come there is such prejudice
when they are both made by the same company?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I once went on a benefit poker run for a young boy with cancer. I was riding with 3 of my friends, two of which ride Warriors and the other a Shadow, and the HD behind us refused to be seen 'riding' with us. He would ride directly behind whomever was in back, rather than staggered, and would trail way behind. We would mess with him and switch sides while he was really far behind, so when he caught up at a turn he'd be staggered, he would instantly switch sides when he saw it.

That guy was not worth our time and was way less of a man, let alone a rider than anybody I would want to be associated with.

I also find that riding around town there's a surprisingly large number of HD riders that absolutely will not wave because I wear a full face helmet. But those very same guys will gawk at my bike on bike nights, then act like they are betrayed when I'm shooting the breeze with them and then defend my buddies ZX-10R that's always parked right next to me.

·
Premium Member
13,728 Posts
I highly doubt that they would not put the 111 in a scout "equivalent". The WHOLE POINT to the scout was/will be as a bike that is lighter and easier to ride for a beginning rider. However, I can envision your premise for the Kingpin re-use and could see it's potential as a scout frame but any engine they threw in it would HAVE (in my mind) to be significantly smaller (say a 1100 or 1200 at MOST) in order to accomplish that "starter bike" motif. Would you still be as enamored with the KP if it's status was "demoted" in that same process?
Interesting question. I'm not that vested in the idea that I would be offended or anything. More of a thought since Victory has been opposed to selling another smaller motored bike. I see Indian following the same line of thought by using the one motor with some changes to compression and cams in all their models.

Plus, after spending the last 2 years developing a new motor, I don't see them rushing to develop a new, smaller, version anything soon. Could be wrong though. I frequently am when it comes to predicting what motor companies end up doing.

To me, maybe 'cause I have a few miles, years, and bikes under my belt; the lighter line of Vic's are light enough to be a starter bike for many. Not all of course. Some will need to start on a little Honda Rebel to build their confidence and see if it's for then at all. For most though; I think a cautious person could start out on a Vegas class bike. Then when they get used to it they would not have to upgrade; they would already be on a great bike for just about anything they want to do. Some folks tour on the lighter bikes so it can definitely be done.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Living in Iowa... I LOVE when people question me on my Highball... because once I tell them Spirit Lake IOWA, the look in their eye is priceless.

I always finish my tales with "I dont know about you but I love newer engine technology and the embrasing of it. And when I know I'm supporting other IOWANS and their families by buying a product made here... well I just feel happier knowing I'm helping other Iowans and I get a great product along with it."

Again... being born and living in Iowa for MOST of my life it takes a differnt effect on others from our farm state. Which is why I think the Victory dealers in Iowa tend to be some of the best dealerships.

·
Registered
12,329 Posts
Brand loyalty is a form of blindness.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Brand loyalty is a form of blindness.
Thats true but you need to understand customer purchasing, as there are two types, and people switch between those two types with different products they are purchasing.

Read this...

Good Company
by Tim Miles.

Good book if you are in business for yourself or just understanding how people by things in this century.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts