Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So let me first say that I am no expert, just got some balls to try stuff.
I was speaking with a guy about bag lids and he stated that the ABS plastic is the best in this application since it handles vibrations well. I read somewhere else that fiberglass after a while has issues. So I figured I would use the existing lid and do some plastic parts to make it durable.

I had scratched the lids quote a bit so I was planning to cover the lids with marine vinyl anyway.

I am using Azek for houses. It is PVC plastic. You can buy 5/4" thick pieces in 12" wide sections. I used a router to make the speaker ring.

I then cut a hole in my lid....not for the faint of heart.

I mounted the speaker ring into the hole with some brackets that I made up

I then used JB Weld Plastic Weld putty. You pull this stuff out of the tube and knead it around for a bit until the color is uniform. I used a tube and 1/2 for the first side. It filled in all the gaps and it dried rock hard like clay.

I visited a quilting shop. Turns out I know someone there. She gave me a pattern material and showed me how to make the patterns. I stopped by a boat upholstery shop and grabbed some Marine Vinyl in black carbon fiber look.

Next week I will go back to the quilt shop and they will help me sew the cover so I can glue it down.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Looks good. I did my own also just didnt go that big. Now I did not put anything over the speakers in the back so the whole bag is a speaker baffle. And my 5.25 sound great.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Looks good, very impressive!

Aequitas Veritas 2012 XC, imperial blue, HMD Wicked bars, D&D exhaust, Ness deep cut grips-pegs-mirrors-gas cap, Hot Vic custom seat, Hot Vic 21" front wheel kit, custom flame paint, Vicbagger imperial blue contrast cut speaker grills

·
Registered
234 Posts
Very nicely done indeed and saved yourself a ton of cash. I really like the lid covers you came up with

·
Registered
611 Posts
Wow, that looks surprisingly good. When I realized what you were making at first I expected some craptastic rice burner-esque setup but you've really done a nice job with it. Kudo's for your craftsmanship.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Holy crap- that is awesome Dave!!!'
And they are weather proof?

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very nicely done indeed and saved yourself a ton of cash. I really like the lid covers you came up with
Strange that your message was cut off, but in my email it was saved. I will repost it here, "Very nicely done indeed and saved yourself a ton of cash. I really like the lid covers you came up with...did you make those? I want to cover my black lids and tried the Vic covers, which suck BTW, before i need to buy new top pieces. If you made those covers please do share....and if you did, you could sell a ton of those i'm sure....just saying ;)"

I did make those covers and that is why I did not do an incredible job with the putty. Also the screw heads were covered up even though they were not 100% flush.
I went to a quilting shop and asked for help. Luckily I knew the lady that worked there. They gave me this see through material for pattern making. I did the outside of the bag, the middle, and the inside separately. Meaning where the crease in the lid was. I was told to go an extra 1/2" so they could sew that together. Then you fold that piece back and sew on top of it with the white thread to get what is called a double stitch. That was the easy part. Especially since she sewed it for me.
The pain in the butt is gluing that thing down and making it straight. If you mess up than the glue gets lumpy underneath and you can see that on my lids. I hoping the hot summer sun will straighten it out. I tried gluing the center section down first by going the long way. That way I could line the white stitching along the crease, but than I had an issue gluing the sides. On the second lid I glued cross wise (across left to right) and then rolled that down to front and back, but the lines are not very straight that way. What would have made a big difference is if I had an upholstery glue that would allow you to move it around and then press it into place. With the 3M spray adhesive that I used you spray it onto both sides, let it set up, and then you got one shot to get it right.

I will never sell these. That was too hard. I will gladly walk anyone through the process.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Holy crap- that is awesome Dave!!!'
And they are weather proof?
I do not know. They speaker is supposed to be water proof so the water should not be able to get in there. The cover is marine grade vinyl so that is water proof. The weak link is how I mounted the speakers. It uses 4 screws to hold it down. If the seal is tight enough that I should be good to go. If it is not I will probably use some silicone sealer. I think I just saw Loc-tite advertise a waterproof spray and I could always put that on it. Time will tell.

·
Registered
234 Posts
How do they sound? Thanks for the lengthy reply. Too bad someone doesn't make these covers as they surely would sell like hotcakes. Seems to be a real PITA to do so, i will skip making them. Really wish someone would make a nice set for these hard bags...may have to go to a custom canvas shop or like.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They sound awesome. There is such a great bass response. I need to do more to the dash to get the same effect. I hit 100 the other day and I could still hear the stereo very well. Cruising at 75 was very clear

·
Registered
234 Posts
In re reading your post...i thought i have skilled coworkers that could easily help me do the speaker mod and save me a ton of cash as i do want bag speakers...

My only hesitation is because of the speaker orientation. I am a bit concerned on a rainy day the speakers filling up with water...not that i ride much in the rain, just a what if.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The only hard to making these is gluing the cover to the lid. You can easily have someone make the cover.

All speaker lids are mounted this way. I have no idea if the water would pool. I thought about making a cover like a rain seat cover for the lid for that situation, but I assume the water will blow out as I ride. They make marine speakers that would survive better and like I stated earlier you could silicone them in. Nothing ventured, nothing gained

·
Registered
426 Posts
you could also plum in a drain in the front and run you a piece of 1/4" flex tubing down the inside. i saw one setup that had that

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Lid Covers

I saw where oeople were talking about lid covers. I was going to get Shorefire Design to make some for my Road Glide. I have asked about Victory and they do make covers for us too. Search for them on Facebook or Instagram. They will do any design you want. Just throwing imfo out there for yall. I'm not affiliated with them. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Looks kick ass!!! Forgot that!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts