Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't a what tire to get thread. This is just to bitch about how crappy the stock dunlops are on the steel frames. They just don't make me feel comfortable no matter what kinda condition I ride in. Rain is absolutely scary now with the little mods that I have done. You have to baby around to keep them from slipping. Ma vic there are better tires out there. I'm sure you can get them for close to the same price as you are paying now. Please do us a favor and get us better tires!!!

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
If you are riding on the original tires from when the bike was built, they are probably out of date.

There's a 4 digit code on the sidewall, like 2402, which would be the 24th week of 2002...

I wouldn't keep tires that were older than 4 years... They say 6 years is the limit for cars, but not for me. The tire is the only thing between my ass and the asphalt.

·
Registered
318 Posts
This isn't a what tire to get thread. This is just to bitch about how crappy the stock dunlops are on the steel frames. They just don't make me feel comfortable no matter what kinda condition I ride in. Rain is absolutely scary now with the little mods that I have done. You have to baby around to keep them from slipping. Ma vic there are better tires out there. I'm sure you can get them for close to the same price as you are paying now. Please do us a favor and get us better tires!!!
Amen, amen and amen. They scare the crap out of me as well and when it rains every curve no matter how slight is a life threatening event. I have never had that with any of my other bikes but admittedly I haven't had the motor that I have now with the power to turn that back tire like this one. Even on dry surfaces you simply can not give it much throttle on a turn especially after a stop or you are going to get that sick feeling in your stomach as you feel that rear tire loose traction and get squirrelly. I have had many bikes including a 50 Ci Suzuki that had Dunlops and it never handled as poorly in the rain. My BMX K bike with it's skinny tires had oh so much more traction. So, I am counting the miles and the minutes before I put on the Avons and I am hoping for a lot more traction particularly in the rain.

·
Registered
318 Posts
If you are riding on the original tires from when the bike was built, they are probably out of date.

There's a 4 digit code on the sidewall, like 2402, which would be the 24th week of 2002...

I wouldn't keep tires that were older than 4 years... They say 6 years is the limit for cars, but not for me. The tire is the only thing between my ass and the asphalt.
Another good point and I will candidly admit that I bought this bike last year with only 1700 miles on it and it is a 2006 and I have now a little over 8000 miles so while the tires looked good with tread they may be harder than the tires on the Flintstones car and that might be a serious part of the problem.

·
Registered
35 Posts
A lot of people don't like the stock Dunlops, including myself. I wonder how much of the uneasiness on these tires is caused by the wheels being slightly out of alignment.
I have always liked Dunlops on my other bikes. I would prefer to have more of a heavy duty touring tire tread instead of the sportbike like tread that is on the E3s.

I keep meaning to play around with my adjustments, just haven't got around to it yet.

·
Registered
537 Posts
i dunno, i have the recommended dunlops on my hammer and ride in pretty much anything but torential downpours. the only places that it gets sketchy is on the tar snakes in the wet which seems to plague most of central NY. otherwise they seem to handle pretty well on the highway in the rain... i wanted to see how the metzelers do as far longevity and traction but there is still at least half the tread left on the dunlops so i maybe at the start of next season I will replace them...
I typically am not a big fan of dunlops to start but these don't seem too bad...

·
Registered
156 Posts
I got 5000 each on two rear Metz and 10,000 on front

I am now trying Dulops cruise max to see if i can get a few more miles
They seem fine so far just a little harder ride.
I can not afford tires every 5000 miles.
i dunno, i have the recommended dunlops on my hammer and ride in pretty much anything but torential downpours. the only places that it gets sketchy is on the tar snakes in the wet which seems to plague most of central NY. otherwise they seem to handle pretty well on the highway in the rain... i wanted to see how the metzelers do as far longevity and traction but there is still at least half the tread left on the dunlops so i maybe at the start of next season I will replace them...
I typically am not a big fan of dunlops to start but these don't seem too bad...

·
Registered
129 Posts
I don't mind the stock tires, not that I am to aggressive. As far as the road snakes, I don't think you'll find a tire good as when those snakes heat up, there like grease spots.

I would be interested in what tires people like that have swithced from stock?

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
I tried a set of these E3's on my GOldwing. Hated them. Yes, tar snakes are bad with any tire, but it seemed much worse with the E3s. I went back to the stock Bridgestones and they were better.

When it's time for me to change tires on my XCT, I'll likely go back to a Bridgestone for the front and go darkside for the rear.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I just changed my Dunlop E3 for a E3MT. Had 15,440 miles on it and probably another 2-3000 in it, but leaving on a ride next week and didn't want to worry about it

·
Registered
784 Posts
I just changed my Dunlop E3 for a E3MT. Had 15,440 miles on it and probably another 2-3000 in it, but leaving on a ride next week and didn't want to worry about it
How are the MT's in the wet? I'm debating them or the Cobra 80H. Both have factory load rates. So input is very much needed.

E3's are a bit ill handling in the wet, otherwise are fine. Stones are a great tire. I ran a front on the Wing and darksided the rear for a while. If I could find someone to put a DS tire on the XCT it would have one.

If you go to anything out there right now other than the E3 in either form or the cobra, be wary they have over 150 pounds less of a load rating. Ever wonder why wings destroy tires?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts