Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got bored sittin' round the house...headed out for a 4-5 day weekend ride. Ohio , Ind, S/W Michigan....went to the Studebaker museum in South Bend,Ind....I recommend it !

Got snubbed by two HD's & a BMW....one HD on the road, one in a restaurant parking lot !! And a BMW in a motel lobby !...he watched me park & get off the motorcycle , looked right at me , I nodded ..he ignored............I don't get it ????

Funny thing is ....I have two BMW's at home in garage....:p

·
Registered
682 Posts
The same thing happened to me the other day. 2 guys at the gas station, one on a cbr the other on a bmw. Cbr guy said hey and we talked for a minute. Bmw guy completely ignored me

·
Registered
632 Posts
Yea, I get the same treatment, I get off my bike walk in the front door and my Wife ignorer's me...:ltr:

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I wasn't even ON my bike and I got snubbed by a BMW rider. You see he was standing next to a 2011 Ness Vision. I said "nice bike". To which he replied "thanks". He then threw a cover over some type of BMW that was on the other side of him and I said... "Oh, I thought yours was the Vision" and ... that's when the fight started...:ltr:

·
Registered
12,318 Posts
Why even let it bother you? There are jerks everywhere. Ever think that maybe they are jealous? Me, I have bigger fish to fry. Fuggedaboutit.

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
you want to here a good one I got snubbed by a dude on an 1800VTX at the parts store....

But If your babe is hotter than the other dudes babe, he's going to snub ya..and look at her when you aint lookin..cheers

·
Registered
90 Posts
you want to here a good one I got snubbed by a dude on an 1800VTX at the parts store....

But If your babe is hotter than the other dudes babe, he's going to snub ya..and look at her when you aint lookin..cheers
So THAT'S the reason the Harley guys hate us...

I never knew.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I get snubbed by BMW guys when Im riding my BMW......and almost taken out by drunk Harley riders on poker runs.....they usually dont have licenses.

......dont even get my started on those American hating rice riders.....come on who doesnt love 'Merica.

What I learned along time ago.....I ride my bike for me.

Screw everyone else.

I wave....they dont.

They do....I dont.

It happens.

·
Registered
781 Posts
LOL it all averages out, man. Been snubbed, ignored etc. It seemed like a LOT at first- but I was actively looking for the reactions. Still happens some. I also have been chased down in traffic many times by imports and Harley's alike just so they could get a closer look.

Like it or not- our memories tend to be selective. Now I take the "snub" attitude as a badge of honor.

oh and yes I have definitely seen the "snubber's" girlfriend unable to take her eyes off the bike (I assume :p )while the idiot on the front did his best to pretend I wasn't there.. That's the best. :ltr:

·
Registered
781 Posts
The awkward moments come with rider events that involve HD dealerships. I tend to avoid if I'm solo, but have been on a couple with my Rider Club. Once I drew a crowd. Amazingly- lots of wow, lots of what size is the engine, and surprisingly few broken record cliche's in the form of questions they did NOT really want answered. This last one- no one got within 20 feet of it, lol.. not a word. (Bayside HD in Portsmouth) I think they literally were afraid it would bite.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I think what folks need to understand is that it's not a matter of somebody "snubbing" you, it's a matter of ignorance. Ignorance of how things used to be done in the old days, true if you were on a Jap bike and met a Harley they'd blow you off but if either one of you were on the side of the road the other would pull over to make sure you didn't need help. The Harley rider pulled over because he new that it was only a matter of time before his bike crapped out on the road so yours be it Jap, German or British must be the same. We acknowledged each other because there were so few of us out there and we were all interested in the same thing, RIDING!!

Today most motorcycles are "Fashion Statements" including Victory. In the 60's and 70's bikes were "A way of life". Since having a bike now is an expression of how big you think your penis is we feel challenged when we see someone who's might be shall we say "bigger." Some of us are more secure in our manhood that others but keep in mind that the vast majority of riders out there never had to sit on the side of the road and try to figure out where they left that damn master link or break down a tire while it was still on the bike to get the tube out and patch it. Times have changed and the meaning of the biker lifestyle has changed drastically. Some of us remember it while others never lived through the experience and others still will do their best to fake their way through it.

I personally have found most HD riders to be quite curious about the Cross Country and surprised that it doesn't look a thing like the Vision.

·
Premium Member
13,702 Posts
Sometimes I think people are just in their own little world and don't sense when a stranger says or waves hello. It just doesn't register. I must admit to getting into that zone a time or three myself.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I'm just gonna throw this out there. Yes some riders are snobs who think they are better than everybody. But in some cases if you are travelling long distances, you might just be tired and want to avoid any lenghty "blah, blah, what do you ride where are u from" conversations. The easiest way to avoid that conversation is not to acknoledge the other rider, which in the end comes accross as snobby. I love to stop and chat with people, but I have been snubbed at and also been dead tired myself, so I try to give them the benefit of the doubt and dont make anything of their reaction. After all, for a lot of riders, travel is a personal journey for personal reasons, who knows whats going on in their head. I pay no attention to it.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I have about gotten to the point where I do not wave at anybody on a bike anymore. It just get tiring around here in the summer because every body is on a bike when it is a warm weekend. When I am riding in January it is a different story because I am usually the only one riding the twisties around here at 40 degrees and when I see another rider I do wave because I know he/she truly loves riding their bike and not out for a "look at me" 73 degree perfect weather ride.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I'm just gonna throw this out there. Yes some riders are snobs who think they are better than everybody.
It could be some of that, but I have to admit I am bad at small talk. I did compliment a young man on a shiny new Yamaha the other day. He said it was his first bike and that he only had it a couple months and already and 2600 miles on it and loved to ride it. It gave me a bit of joy.

OTOH, I don't particularly like it when people compliment my bike. I didn't design it. Makes no sense to compliment me. And I don't like feeling obligated to compliment others just because they are on a bike, especially if I don't particularly care for it. I don't run around complimenting everyone driving a car either and I drive one of those on occasion myself.

Generally, if I see another person on a bike I'll start off with "nice day for a ride" or something to that effect.

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OH, it doesn't worry me / etc. That wasn't my point @ all.

Photo Joe,..hit the point, [and said it very well]...that being the lack of camaraderie . Those in our [hobby] ? [transportation choice] ?, [lifestyle] ?....whatever it is ?? Used to stick together, understand each other, share the passion, & so on. That's gone, and it's sad.

And yes I have been at it awhile 49 years..I have seen the change , will never understand it ? I'll get off my soapbox now :rolleyes: sorry if it sounded like a rant.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
OH, it doesn't worry me / etc. That wasn't my point @ all.

Photo Joe,..hit the point, [and said it very well]...that being the lack of camaraderie . Those in our [hobby] ? [transportation choice] ?, [lifestyle] ?....whatever it is ?? Used to stick together, understand each other, share the passion, & so on. That's gone, and it's sad.

And yes I have been at it awhile 49 years..I have seen the change , will never understand it ? I'll get off my soapbox now :rolleyes: sorry if it sounded like a rant.
I'll soon be 56. Only been riding 3.5 years and have met more bike guys and made more friends than over the course of my life. This has been the best hobby(if what is called) I've ever taken up.

Maybe it's a location thing. These guys don't seem to care what you got... they are like me and just want to ride and hang... oh! and eat! :D

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have about gotten to the point where I do not wave at anybody on a bike anymore. It just get tiring around here in the summer because every body is on a bike when it is a warm weekend. When I am riding in January it is a different story because I am usually the only one riding the twisties around here at 40 degrees and when I see another rider I do wave because I know he/she truly loves riding their bike and not out for a "look at me" 73 degree perfect weather ride.
I have noticed that there's a much higher percentage of "wavers" thumb up when I'm riding in the wintertime.

I think maybe there's more unspoken roadway comradery among year-round riders, as opposed to the weekend warriors who only roll their Dyna-Wida-Glida out of the garage twice a year when it's 86', low humidity, soft breeze, mostly sunny, 0% chance of rain, etcetc. :p They wouldn't know to wave anyway.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts