Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got stuck in traffic that came to a dead stop and didn't move for about 15 minutes. The air temperature that day was 33 celcius (91.4 F) with high humidity. By the time I got my Vision moving the temperature on the oil temp. dipstick was approaching the 300 F. mark.

I found a posting on an H.D. technical forum that says the OEM oil sold by H.D. dealers is good to 300 F. before it starts breaking down. Does anyone know if the same can be said for the Vic OEM oil?

In a situation like that is it better to shut the motor down or leave it running?

Ultra Cool has an oil cooler with a built-in electric cooling fan available for the H.D.'s. Maybe this is something that would help to reduce the BBQ'ed right leg effect on the Vic Visions.

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
I'm not flaming you.

Ok...first get out of the HD mindset and thinking our bikes are like HD's. I'm not knocking HD its just these bikes are not HD's. These are oil and air cooled, single overhead camshaft with 4 valves per cylinder, self-adjusting cam chains and hydraulic lifters. They can sit in traffic with NO overheating problems.

Second, get rid of that dipstick. Those things cause more stress than then they are worth. I have been stuck in traffic on 110 degree days and no stress. You want to know why? I don't have a temp dipstick!! LOL :ltr:thumb up

As long as you do your regular maintenance you are good to go and nothing to worry about. cheers

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maximum Oil Temp.

I'm not flaming you.

Ok...first get out of the HD mindset and thinking our bikes are like HD's. I'm not knocking HD its just these bikes are not HD's. These are oil and air cooled, single overhead camshaft with 4 valves per cylinder, self-adjusting cam chains and hydraulic lifters. They can sit in traffic with NO overheating problems.

Second, get rid of that dipstick. Those things cause more stress than then they are worth. I have been stuck in traffic on 110 degree days and no stress. You want to know why? I don't have a temp dipstick!! LOL :ltr:thumb up

As long as you do your regular maintenance you are good to go and nothing to worry about. cheers
Thanks for the input Diamond. I know there are distinct differences in the design of the Victory engine versus those used in the H.D.'s. But I also know that any engine of any design with any type of cooling system will overheat given the right set of circumstances, and unless your running the super synthetic racing oil that is used by the F1 racers (supposedly good for temps to 400 F.), from what I have read elsewhere most oils will start to break down when the operating temp. gets up above 260 F. If the temp. reading on the Vic. stick is wildly inaccurate then maybe there isn't anything to worry about, but after sitting there at idle for 15 minutes on that 90+ F. day the heat radiating from the engine was so hot I was contemplating getting off the bike to save my right leg. I guess if I find myself in that situation again I will simply pull to the side of the road and turn the key off until traffic starts moving again.

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
Maybe you should have your bike checked. In the 4 years I've been an owner and customizer of Victory motorcycle I have never ever heard of any Victory over heating. Many owners ride in parades as Patriot Guards etc AND this is in California and Nevada all on Victory oil!

Like I said get rid of the stress stick...LOL and take your bike to the dealer to be sure it is not running lean although the way the Visions are closed loop so they are supposed to be ok. Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I recently got stuck in traffic that came to a dead stop and didn't move for about 15 minutes. The air temperature that day was 33 celcius (91.4 F) with high humidity. By the time I got my Vision moving the temperature on the oil temp. dipstick was approaching the 300 F. mark.

I found a posting on an H.D. technical forum that says the OEM oil sold by H.D. dealers is good to 300 F. before it starts breaking down. Does anyone know if the same can be said for the Vic OEM oil?

In a situation like that is it better to shut the motor down or leave it running?

Ultra Cool has an oil cooler with a built-in electric cooling fan available for the H.D.'s. Maybe this is something that would help to reduce the BBQ'ed right leg effect on the Vic Visions.
Each to their own but if your sitting in traffic for 15 min running with a air cooled engine its your money your bike do as you wish but your not doing your self or your motorcycle any kinda favors. Those cylinders are designed to have air flowing over them to take the heat off of the cylinder if you fail to do this they will over heat and break down the engine oil which leads to who knows what internally. If you would read further on the H.D. Bullshit propaganda they admit that you w ill destroy your air cooled engine within a 1/2 hr. I run a victory kingpin anything over about 3 min except for 1st startups, I shut my bike down. No insult intended but you sound like you need some basic motorcycle mechanics knowledge

·
Registered
5 Posts
Maybe you should have your bike checked. In the 4 years I've been an owner and customizer of Victory motorcycle I have never ever heard of any Victory over heating. Many owners ride in parades as Patriot Guards etc AND this is in California and Nevada all on Victory oil!

Like I said get rid of the stress stick...LOL and take your bike to the dealer to be sure it is not running lean although the way the Visions are closed loop so they are supposed to be ok. Better safe than sorry.
I agree with you ive never heard of victory motorcycles over heating either, but just to let 1 sit and idle for log periods of time is not matter how you some it up does is not good. I have done research on victory motorcycle oil and it is as good as they come, only 1 other oil i found had the same additives as victory. If i remember this correct the optimum temp oil for a victory is 220 degree, I believe could be wrong thou

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would never let it idle for so long, I always turn it off. Even if it dont overheat it can not be good for an aircooled engine and oil does not like heat.

·
Premium Member
4,407 Posts
This post was in 2010. Put my thoughts on the original post. He would be fine, any doubts change the oil.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts