Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my 2012 Victory Hammer 8-Ball this spring and I love the bike. Its pretty quick, handles well and looks amazing....however, I may be moving and if I do I cant take it with me. The other thing is as of late I have almost been involved in a few accidents and no, none of them were because of my doing.

I am actually scared anymore to ride around where I live due to the gas well trucks and these guys just dont look at all and worse yet......they dont care.

We have had multiple motorcycle accidents resulting in the loss of lives.

Just seems like maybe I should get rid of it.

Thoughts? I have put almost 2k miles on the bike and it has performed amazingly well.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
I just got my 2012 Victory Hammer 8-Ball this spring and I love the bike. Its pretty quick, handles well and looks amazing....however, I may be moving and if I do I cant take it with me. The other thing is as of late I have almost been involved in a few accidents and no, none of them were because of my doing.

I am actually scared anymore to ride around where I live due to the gas well trucks and these guys just dont look at all and worse yet......they dont care.

We have had multiple motorcycle accidents resulting in the loss of lives.

Just seems like maybe I should get rid of it.

Thoughts? I have put almost 2k miles on the bike and it has performed amazingly well.
Why ride in fear? Sell it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont like to ride in fear. Last week I was in a 55 mph zone and I was passing a car doing 40. A truck pulls out of the middle of a field, not a driveway, not a road, a field......a grassy field.....he misses me by incheas and forces the other car off the road. I had to pull over I was so shaken up. If I would have lazily been passing he would have hit me sure as I am typing this.

I dont want to ride in fear but this area is seemingly getting worse and worse and more dangerous with the gas well workers. They just dont care and they dont look out for bikes at all. Some I am sure some do but the general consensus is they dont.

Any idea what to ask for it?

The bike is like new and the only add on is the factory tach.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
...Any idea what to ask for it?...
You can get an idea for value from KBB. ;)

If you end up donating, keep me in mind. I can give it a good home, and ride it once in a while. dance 1

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha......Not sure I wuold donate it. :ltr: But if I do its yours.....lol

I hate paying for something I cant take with me if I move and hate paying for something that just sits in the garage.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Haha......Not sure I wuold donate it. :ltr: But if I do its yours.....lol
Sweet!

I hate paying for something I cant take with me if I move and hate paying for something that just sits in the garage.
Yeah, if you don't ride it, sell it. It is safer not to own a bike anyways. The problem with most of us is that we're too deep into our riding addiction to give it up. I too would give up riding if my heart would let me, but it doesn't. I itch to ride whenever the bike sits for a day or two, so my addiction is in a very advanced state. If you can easily walk away from riding, do it, never look back, and get yourself involved with a safer hobby.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have been riding for years and HATED not having a bike. I walk by my bike every day and smile and even sometimes just sit on it and make engine sounds and lean it from side to side like a little kid. lol

Its not easy for me to give it up. If I move I have to (its a good possibility) and the danger in the area where I live now is getting worse by the day.

I have my Corvette to scratch my itch for speed. lol

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have to agree, better off not riding if you feel it isnt safe. If you go out with the feeling you are about to get hammered any second, it can become a self fulfilling prophecy.

I took a ride 2 nights ago before/instead of dinner. I almost high sided when some idiot cut me off around a curve and then slammed on the brakes when he saw traffic. Thank god the center of gravity is low on the highball. I got home and didnt realize how close someone else had gotten to me till I returned home notice my rear left signal missing. I always thought they stuck out too far. I guess i was right.

Anyway.. it does make you think and consider you're own mortality. I tell myself " its not I never knew it was dangerous before I started riding. If i can only control 50% of the situation..Be better, be smarter, be swifter, be more accurate and the rest is out of my hands..." The odds arent exactly in our favor... but While i was out.. Just for that hour.. I took pic when I stopped.
[/IMG]

Crossroads is right, once you're in.. its hard to get out sometimes. Somehow looking at the picture, i know I'll be in my garage tonight trying to fashion some kind of replacement blinker from my box of old aftermarket parts so i can ride once the rain lets up in NYC... because that pic just wouldn't look right to me without my bike in it..

Good luck with your decision. I know its not an easy one.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Our company shop in in an industrial area off a heavily traveled four lane road. There are many semi's and like you say, they don't seem to give two sh!t$ about oncoming traffic. Almost an attitude of "whatcha gonna do, hit me?"
No matter how many wheels it has or what size it is, there are @$$clowns everywhere.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
I think it is okay to have some fear when riding because I think it helps you keep focused, that maybe that fear helps you make better judgement and keep you aware of the situations around you, then if you were riding carefree. I think I drive with a little fear each time I ride. But if you are driving scared all the time, worrying about getting in an accidient, than you probably will, and you should get out. As a rider you hate seeing others in motorcycle accidents ( I put it out of my mind as quick as possible) but it did hit home recently, I just found out a friend from high school was heading to Sturgis and lost control of his bike somehow ( finding out information each day). He is in pretty bad shape, looks like he is going to be paralized from the waste down and he is in for a long recovery. It does make you think is it worth it? For some it is and for some it isn't. Only you can make that choice and it seems that you already have. Good luck. thumb up

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
...Last week I was in a 55 mph zone and I was passing a car doing 40. A truck pulls out of the middle of a field, not a driveway, not a road, a field......a grassy field.....he misses me by incheas and forces the other car off the road. I had to pull over I was so shaken up.
By all means, sell the bike if you don't fell comfortable and I am not saying that what the truck did was right but I HAVE to ask...

How did you not SEE a truck coming from a FIELD? I've ridden in a lot of places and a field is pretty obvious to see a truck or tractor sitting there getting ready to come into the traffic. How could you POSSIBLY have missed seeing it on the side of the road? Did you simply not see the side of the road...for some reason?

·
Registered
154 Posts
By all means, sell the bike if you don't fell comfortable and I am not saying that what the truck did was right but I HAVE to ask...

How did you not SEE a truck coming from a FIELD? I've ridden in a lot of places and a field is pretty obvious to see a truck or tractor sitting there getting ready to come into the traffic. How could you POSSIBLY have missed seeing it on the side of the road? Did you simply not see the side of the road...for some reason?
I will say this (not knowing the exact circumstances), I hate when on country roads I see a vehicle on the side of the road on a field facing the road. Often times it's near a house, sometimes not. I try to look as much as possible to see if there is a driver from as far away as I can.

Sometimes you can't tell because you have other things to look at (the road, or oncoming vehicle), but there is only so much you can do. That's what it comes down to.

Doing all you can do, and accepting that there is only so much you can do.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

It was just dark and he had no lights on.

I was passing a car in a 55 mph zone, there are houses and small fields on each side. I have driven this road for the past 15 years. As it is a slightly residential road the car had its low beams on and I had my low beam on. That coupled with the vehicle not having its lights on and scanning out in front of me I didnt see something that far off the road that was comingat a rate of speed at least 25-30 mph.

That is how I did not SEE the truck. So tell me, how is that "pretty obvious"?

Sorry if I seem touchy on this but I have been in a mental battle with this for quite some time. I have asked myself "Why didnt I look way to the left while I was passting the car?" The best answer is that I was paying attention to the car I was passing and making sure nothing was coming in the oncomming lane.

If I would have been following the car I would be dead right now.

I will say this (not knowing the exact circumstances), I hate when on country roads I see a vehicle on the side of the road on a field facing the road. Often times it's near a house, sometimes not. I try to look as much as possible to see if there is a driver from as far away as I can.

Sometimes you can't tell because you have other things to look at (the road, or oncoming vehicle), but there is only so much you can do. That's what it comes down to.

Doing all you can do, and accepting that there is only so much you can do.
This is true and its what I keep coming back to.

There is only so much you can do.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
We are all going to die. Personally I am not going to worry about the potential accident, the crazy at the movie theater or a plane crash. I would rather base my life on how well I lived not how I avoided danger. Every dy someone dies stepping off a curb, car accident, etc. calendar in the universe with your date and time.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
It was just dark and he had no lights on.

I was passing a car in a 55 mph zone, there are houses and small fields on each side. I have driven this road for the past 15 years. As it is a slightly residential road the car had its low beams on and I had my low beam on. That coupled with the vehicle not having its lights on and scanning out in front of me I didnt see something that far off the road that was comingat a rate of speed at least 25-30 mph. That is how I did not SEE the truck. So tell me, how is that "pretty obvious"?

Sorry if I seem touchy on this but I have been in a mental battle with this for quite some time. I have asked myself "Why didnt I look way to the left while I was passting the car?" The best answer is that I was paying attention to the car I was passing and making sure nothing was coming in the oncomming lane.

If I would have been following the car I would be dead right now.
First of all, we are all VERY happy that you were able to recognize the occurrences in time and to take corrective action. The additional time of day details and conditions help color the setting more accurately than your original outline did. No need to second guess yourself. The REAL thing you might want to wonder about is "HOW" were you able to avoid it? WHAT made you do X, Y or Z. Was there some divine intervention that helped you recognize the danger in time? Don't "tie yourself up" on what you may have 'felt' you did wrong, focus on understanding what went right and how you might be able to SEE those types of things as the occur again in the future. Foreshadowing events occur all the time. However, many don't recognize them. Others may even have missed them completely and sadly, are no longer with us. I am not saying that some "god" saved you. And I am not saying that was not the case either. The reality is that we can only see and react to a certain level of information and we can only do the best with what we have.

As to AZDave who thinks that everything is ALREADY pre-destin... I obviously disagree. I DO think there are things and people that we are "destine" to meet but I also believe that actions we take have the ability to change time or more accurately, change the interaction of the time path.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Fine to disagree. I respect your opinion. My point is simply living in fear is not living. I have crashed in motocross, played high level hockey as a goalie, robbed twice at gunpoint as a young man delivering pizzas. Never stopped doing any of them because of fear. Life is too precious and short not to live it to the fullest

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Whatever you decide TLS; your decision is respected either way.

I don't know if there is a right decision but there must be a right decision for you personally.
I love riding......that is the problem. Even though my back hurts at times I dont let it stop me. :)

I hated not having a bike and now I find myself still loving the bike, loving the ride but hating being scared. I know people say dont ride in fear. Its tough sometimes.

Fine to disagree. I respect your opinion. My point is simply living in fear is not living. I have crashed in motocross, played high level hockey as a goalie, robbed twice at gunpoint as a young man delivering pizzas. Never stopped doing any of them because of fear. Life is too precious and short not to live it to the fullest
We can all take measures to eliminate SOME of the possibilities of danger. Like wearing a condom. You can still get something or make a baby if it fails but for the most part you are ok. :)

First of all, we are all VERY happy that you were able to recognize the occurrences in time and to take corrective action. The additional time of day details and conditions help color the setting more accurately than your original outline did. No need to second guess yourself. The REAL thing you might want to wonder about is "HOW" were you able to avoid it? WHAT made you do X, Y or Z. Was there some divine intervention that helped you recognize the danger in time? Don't "tie yourself up" on what you may have 'felt' you did wrong, focus on understanding what went right and how you might be able to SEE those types of things as the occur again in the future. Foreshadowing events occur all the time. However, many don't recognize them. Others may even have missed them completely and sadly, are no longer with us. I am not saying that some "god" saved you. And I am not saying that was not the case either. The reality is that we can only see and react to a certain level of information and we can only do the best with what we have.

As to AZDave who thinks that everything is ALREADY pre-destin... I obviously disagree. I DO think there are things and people that we are "destine" to meet but I also believe that actions we take have the ability to change time or more accurately, change the interaction of the time path.
Thank you.

I noticed him out of the corner of my eye as I was just ahead of the car I was passing. Nothing I did prevented myself from being hit. Luck of the draw I would say.

·
Premium Member
4,875 Posts
If you were injured in a car accident would you stop driving and riding in cars? If you fell in the shower and broke your arm would you stop taking showers?

Just food for thought...

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

1 - 20 of 27 Posts