Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't own a Victory....yet. My current bike is a Triumph Speed Triple 1050. It's an outstanding motorcycle, but I've been thinking of getting into something more comfortable and suited for long rides.
I went to my local Victory dealer a couple days ago since I'm really liking the styling of the Vegas, Hammer, and Kingpin models.
I test rode a couple bikes: a '99 V92C and a '08 Kingpin. I was impressed by both.
I live ~70 miles from Deal's Gap (the Dragon), and I take several weekend trips there each year. Those trips would be the times when I would really miss the Triple. For every day riding I think I would much rather prefer a cruiser.
It was scary to ride those bikes for the first time. I'd never ridden a cruiser before, and they were big and heavy. I also kept trying to put my feet back on pegs from a takeoff (instead of forward on floorboards). They were both impressive rides, and I might just be coming to the dark side.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
As a side note, the Victory demo bus is coming to my local dealer the last 2 days in March, so maybe I'll get to ride a brand new model. Heck, by then I might just have my own Vic.

·
Premium Member
12,992 Posts
As a side note, the Victory demo bus is coming to my local dealer the last 2 days in March, so maybe I'll get to ride a brand new model. Heck, by then I might just have my own Vic.
Don't get one until the Demo truck comes so you can get a $1000 in accessories (if they are still doing that). Last year they took an extra $1000 off if you were a veteran.

Of the models you mentioned; I think you would be happiest with the Kingpin because it kinda straddles the speed cruiser of a Hammer and can also be set up with quick detach stuff to be a fair touring bike in a matter of minutes.

Just fuel for thought...

·
Registered
782 Posts
The Speed Triple is an awesome bike.

With you riding that for a while, and living near the Dragon... are you sure a full on cruiser is going to keep you happy? Perhaps you should take a Vmax out for a ride. You'll get the performance you crave (actually more than the Triple), and it CAN be set-up for comfortable longer rides as well as commuting. There's even a mod for forward highway pegs to stretch out.

Sounds like you might end up regretting your decision fairly soon.

Our Vics kick ass for what they are, but I always keep a sportbike around too, I'd miss it too much. The Vmax is my next purchase.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I'm a fan of the Speed Triple too. Really fun hooligan bike. Plus, I love triples.
I too love their engines, but for the longest time, the suspensions they were providing on their bikes were pretty underwhelming. Looks like they remedied that with the newer "R" models. Full Ohlins at both ends with that cherry of a triple on top. What a tasty treat.

I rented a Sprint several years back for a trip through western Canada. The bike had plenty of ground clearance and I don't recall ever dusting a peg, but when I returned it, it had paint missing off one side of the lower fairing where the mushy front end had allowed it to kiss mother earth in a corner. Fortunately, the guys didn't charge me for it. That plastic crap can get expensive.

I rode several of their models as it was a group ride with everyone on Triumphs and they all suffered the same mushy feel. Then again, I was riding a Duc with an Ohlins shock and top end Showa forks at the time, so maybe I was just spoiled.

st4s_2.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
The Speed Triple R model is priced pretty high, but it looks interesting...

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/triumph/2012-triumph-speed-triple-r-review-91245.html

It’s amazing the difference high-end suspension, better brakes and lighter wheels can make in transforming a motorcycle. Whereas the standard Speed Triple is more than capable to handle the rigorous testing we performed, when judged against the R it suddenly feels soft. Still, that doesn’t detract from its user-friendliness, as all three testers noted how the Speed Triple R is a familiar, comfortable and capable steed.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The Speed Triple is an awesome bike.

With you riding that for a while, and living near the Dragon... are you sure a full on cruiser is going to keep you happy? Perhaps you should take a Vmax out for a ride. You'll get the performance you crave (actually more than the Triple), and it CAN be set-up for comfortable longer rides as well as commuting. There's even a mod for forward highway pegs to stretch out.

Sounds like you might end up regretting your decision fairly soon.

Our Vics kick ass for what they are, but I always keep a sportbike around too, I'd miss it too much. The Vmax is my next purchase.
My solution is to keep both! Or in my case, all three. That's why I buy used. More bang for the buck!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, of course I love the Triple 1050. It is an excellent motorcycle. I was looking at cruisers because I hurt my back in a car accident, and ~100 miles is the most I can do on Speedy without pain and numbness. I'm not sure a cruiser would be much better, but I was willing to try one in order to keep on 2 wheels.
I guess I'm just going to keep it. It's been on Craigslist and Cycletrader for a week now, and hasn't gotten even 1 hit. My medical insurance doesn't cover chiropractic care, so it looks like I'll be saving for visits.
Actually, I'd really like to have multiple bikes, but my garage is already full with a truck, SUV, Speed Triple, 2 lawn mowers, tool boxes, etc.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I don't even have a garage but I like to keep two bikes. My main bike is my XC. I also have an 03 Honda 919 to take short 2 or 3 hour rides around the back roads here in central NY. I like the different rides that I get by having two totally different rides.
Oh, and they are not kidding. Ride one and you'll own one worker for me, 3 times so far.
Jack Trash

·
Premium Member
12,992 Posts
Yes, of course I love the Triple 1050. It is an excellent motorcycle. I was looking at cruisers because I hurt my back in a car accident, and ~100 miles is the most I can do on Speedy without pain and numbness. I'm not sure a cruiser would be much better, but I was willing to try one in order to keep on 2 wheels.
I guess I'm just going to keep it. It's been on Craigslist and Cycletrader for a week now, and hasn't gotten even 1 hit. My medical insurance doesn't cover chiropractic care, so it looks like I'll be saving for visits.
Actually, I'd really like to have multiple bikes, but my garage is already full with a truck, SUV, Speed Triple, 2 lawn mowers, tool boxes, etc.
If you can afford a good used Kingpin at around $6500; there are some good ones around right now. Might even be able to split shipping costs with the current owner. There's a super nice red one with a mild custom paint job on another forum. Just enough to make it look nice without being pretentious. Shoot me a PM if you're interested. There's a Vegas in the same price range with a full bagger set up. Hard trunk, saddlebags, and fairing painted to match.

As someone with a bad back I can relate to what you're saying. It's amazing what a good tall riders backrest can do. Sometimes when the lower back is really acting up I'll use a back belt called Back-A-Line. It might even help with the bike you're riding now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts