Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
MBW Rear turn signals \ dark or light smoke?

Hi, I am looking to get the MBW Rear turn signals for my 2008 Hammer, dark blue. These are the hidden rear turn signals that hide on the edge of the fender. They make these for other models too. I am trying to find out more information on if I should go with dark smoke or light smoke. I have a dark blue bike and think the dark smoke would probably look better, but led brightness and visibility is a concern.

Does anyone have the dark smoke or light smoke and what is your opinion on them with the visibility of the blinking lights.

If someone has a dark blue bike, which do you think looks better of those two?

Please let me know.

·
Premium Member
1,590 Posts
trying again
I used to have the dark smoke on my Jackpot....daytime was a big issue. Everyone behind me would wait for hand signals instead. Night time....no problem.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used to have the dark smoke on my Jackpot....daytime was a big issue. Everyone behind me would wait for hand signals instead. Night time....no problem.
Thanks, I will try out the light smoke then. Would be nice to see more options for the rear fender on a Hammer. I like something that fills under the rear fender. At the rear suspension stock height I think these MBW leds make the bike look like an offroad dirt bike. I like dirt bikes, but not that look on a Victory. I recently lowered my bike 1.5" and I think these MBW leds will look good now. The Hammer looks so much better lowered in the rear.

I tried a couple different turn signals mounted in the stock rear turn signal mounting holes and while they do look better, not a clean look.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Hi, I am looking to get the MBW Rear turn signals for my 2008 Hammer, dark blue. These are the hidden rear turn signals that hide on the edge of the fender. They make these for other models too. I am trying to find out more information on if I should go with dark smoke or light smoke. I have a dark blue bike and think the dark smoke would probably look better, but led brightness and visibility is a concern.

Does anyone have the dark smoke or light smoke and what is your opinion on them with the visibility of the blinking lights.

If someone has a dark blue bike, which do you think looks better of those two?

Please let me know.
Depends on your bike color I guess, I made some custom wrap arounds...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went with the light smoke and in the daytime they look more like a grey brown color and stick out in a not so nice looking way. Nothing else on the bike matches the light smoke. I am trying to get Victoryonly.com to respond back so I can exchange them to red/red which I think would look better.

Rant... They are slow to respond back so far. I will post feedback on their customer service and dispute with paypal if needed.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
I wanted to put dark smoke red on the back of my Hammer but my local dealer advised me against it. He said the red Led's are much harder to see in the daylight and dark smoke lenses make it worse. I have Amber Light smokes on my bike now and visibility is very good

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Great, so the red leds are harder to see also. Would be nice if MBW posted videos of their leds in the daylight.

Maybe somone that actually has red rear leds can respond and let us know.

The more I look at the light smoke on my bike the more the look better. They are highly visable for sure.

BTW, Victoryonly was slow to respond but they got back to me. Seems like they are swamped with emails.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Memphis2K has the red/red , maybe he can update how well they work in the daytime.
A lot brighter than my taillight, clearly visible. The more LEDs u have, the brighter. I did worry about the darker colors, but for a black bike, I wanted some contrast. Don't care for yellow or amber blinkers, Less colors other than red/black/chrome is perfect for my color palette.

Since I bought the "replacement parts" and made my own custom blinkers, I tested it out and would do everything again.

http://www.chromeglow.com/catalog.asp?prodid=645673&showprevnext=1

MN also seems to be picky on the law, but saving having tinted blinkers is breaking it, just one thing for someone to wine about.

I did find some tinted lens cover for my front blinkers. That looks good. Blinkers are one of those things... I hate the people who don't use them, but its not something you NEED to use, I just bop around but love showing off the blinkers at the same time.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
I have the dark smoked on my High Ball. If your bike is a dark color I would go with the dark. I also went with orange LED's as most people are familiar with orange turn signals. I think they're bright and work much better than the factory ones.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have the red MBW on my hammer and seeing them in day light is not a problem at all. the problem is and i dont know if alot of peeps no this but i was having coffee and a cop pulled in come over to me and asked if that was my bike and i said yes.He said in the first place the led wrap around light is illegal but i am not giving u a ticket just letting you know that another cop may pull you over and give a ticket.He also told me that the color has to be either amber or on the back can be red.Cant be red on the front but the back can be red.I asked why they are illegal i said there is no problem seeing them in fact you can see them better than the stock signals he said they are not DOT.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Not sure about other states, but it is illegal in California.

Modification of Vehicle Equipment
26101. (a) A person shall not sell or offer for sale for use upon or as part of the equipment of a vehicle any device that is intended to modify the original design or performance of any lighting equipment, safety glazing material, or other device, unless the modifying device meets the provisions of Section 26104.

(b) A person shall not use upon a vehicle, and a person shall not drive a vehicle upon a highway that has installed a device that is intended to modify the original design or performance of a lighting, safety glazing material, or other device, unless the modifying device complies with Section 26104.

(c) This section does not apply to a taillamp or stop lamp in use on or prior to December 1, 1935, or to lamps installed on authorized emergency vehicles.

Amended Sec. 45, Ch. 491, Stats. 2010. Effective January 1, 2011.
Short version; it is illegal to change any factory lighting unless it is certified to be DOT compliant. It usually has to be a very bored PD or SO officer to cite you, but CHP loves to ding people for equipment violations. Now that several departments are transitioning to "revenue generation mode", I would not be surprised to see an increase in frivolous citations just to get money.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Well i am in Canada and in the province i am in they started vehicle checkstops checking motorcycle and other vehicles for illegal modifications.Big push on checking decibals levels on pipes

·
Registered
33 Posts
There has been around here too. A little ways north of San Diego in Temecula they have been popping guys for excessive noise.

I suspect it will only get worse as time goes on; otherwise I would have sprung for the Hacker Zoomies.
They look cool, but it's not worth the hassle of a ticket.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts