Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
I am watching and Australian TV series, McLeod's Daughters. It is a group of women running a horse, cattle and sheep ranch. modern day. It's a good series with good acting and I have a couple of questions. They have a rifle that they use at times. I is a very small caliber rifle, with what looks like a 5 round magazine. When they load the magazine the rounds look like a 32 caliber pistol round at the largest. Second question, on their small 4 wheel drive trucks they call them a Ute? Just curious, it's a great modern day Western by American standards with extremely beautiful women.

They had to shoot a feral hog that was causing problems, we have a big problem with feral hogs in Texas. Your ranch life in Australia is pretty much the same as ours.

Premium Member
I happen to know Bridie fairly well, she would have to be one of the beautiful women you speak of馃檪
And she is a genuinely beautiful person in real life too, more than just skin deep and acting.
I live in a very beautiful country of stark contrasts
I have friends who legally own firearms too.
I choose not to.

Registered
Appear to be kind of a modern day and smaller version of an El Camino.

Premium Member
Appear to be kind of a modern day and smaller version of an El Camino.
Aussies made the first 'utes' eg utility vehicles , when they cut down '34 Fords and added trays to the back to cart hay and farm stuff, on weekly/ monthly trips into town.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #5
Aussies made the first 'utes' eg utility vehicles , when they cut down '34 Fords and added trays to the back to cart hay and farm stuff, on weekly/ monthly trips into town.
I figured it meant utility vehicles.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #6
I happen to know Bridie fairly well, she would have to be one of the beautiful women you speak of馃檪
And she is a genuinely beautiful person in real life too, more than just skin deep and acting.
If you see Bridie tell her that she has fans in the U.S.A. along with the other actresses' in their series McLeod's Daughters. I have found that Australia has very entertaining TV shows and movies.

Premium Member
I'd love to tour Australia but I doubt I ever get the opportunity. One can dream about it though...

I'm glad I did get to spend 5 days in Perth back in 1980 though. Beautiful town, women, and beaches. The gents were friendly too. Everything was very clean. I respect that. Too many trashy people in America with no respect for the land or themselves.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #8

Premium Member

Registered
My wife and I recently started started watching Mr. In Between which is an Aussie series and we love it. Although my wife needs subtitles turned on! :smile

Registered
My wife and I recently started started watching Mr. In Between which is an Aussie series and we love it. Although my wife needs subtitles turned on! :smile
I have been watching it also and on one occasion had to google the show script to understand what was being said. Even though I like the show, I probably will not watch it much longer due to the difficulty in understanding the spoken words.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #12
I have been watching it also and on one occasion had to google the show script to understand what was being said. Even though I like the show, I probably will not watch it much longer due to the difficulty in understanding the spoken words.
I have never watched Mr. But I have no problems understanding the Aussie's in McLeod's Daughters. My wife is hooked on the series and watches it more than me. We have watched several Aussie TV series and pretty much catch what they mean with their slang. But you know you go from the Texas rural areas to New York or even California, it can be hard to understand them.LOL

Registered
In Mr. Inbetween, there is lots of very quiet dialogue, lots of colloquialisms, and lots of short sentences so there is lack of context to help you know what they are saying. Coupling this with the Aussie accent and slang coupled with cultural references that I do not understand and it makes it very hard for me to follow the dialogue.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds like the whole concept they are using could make it hard for anyone to understand, follow it. I'll have to see if I can find it and see for myself. Doesn't sound like I would care for it. There is a lot of British TV/moves like that. Kind of like some ones mind just wondering on.

Registered
I have also struggled with understanding the dialogue in some of the British movies by Guy Ritchie. Many of his action movies feature extensive staccato dialogue by characters with very strong cockney accents. I love movies with creative dialogue such as most of those from Quentin Tarantino and Guy Ritchie's movies are like that but I struggle with understanding what they are saying. Yes, I understand that the boxer character played by Brad Pitt in the Guy Ritchie movie Snatch was not meant to be understandable. I thought this was very funny. I objected to the lack of understanding of the dialogue by characters I was supposed to be able to understand :)

Registered
I am watching and Australian TV series, McLeod's Daughters. It is a group of women running a horse, cattle and sheep ranch. modern day. It's a good series with good acting and I have a couple of questions. They have a rifle that they use at times. I is a very small caliber rifle, with what looks like a 5 round magazine. When they load the magazine the rounds look like a 32 caliber pistol round at the largest. Second question, on their small 4 wheel drive trucks they call them a Ute? Just curious, it's a great modern day Western by American standards with extremely beautiful women.

They had to shoot a feral hog that was causing problems, we have a big problem with feral hogs in Texas. Your ranch life in Australia is pretty much the same as ours.
Hi NAB, in Oz utes started as carbodies with a tray back on it, integrated to the bodywork. Drive it round the farm during the week, to church on Sunday was one of the original Ford slogans. An el Camino is the same idea. It's not applied so rigorously these days, and now applied to pick ups generally. Google WB Holden ute images for the epitome of the style.
You've noticed that Oz film and media take a lot of liberties with how they show firearms. Let's face it, no one is going to shoot feral pigs with a .22 or something firing .32 pistol rounds. Not if they want to survive the experience.
We have them at Obi Obi from time to time, I use an old full wood Lee Enfield,which for many years was a pretty standard on farm rifle.
I haven't watched the show, but we don't get broadcast TV here, so I lived for over 40 years without it. My lovely wife arranged for free to air satellite TV several years ago (federal govt subsidy to get it, they want people watching TV), I watch it occasionally but haven't turned it on yet.
I tend to log in here instead. Although if another TV show called Mystery Road turns up, have a watch. (I'm not 100% consistent).

Premium Member
Hi NAB, in Oz utes started as carbodies with a tray back on it, integrated to the bodywork. Drive it round the farm during the week, to church on Sunday was one of the original Ford slogans. An el Camino is the same idea. It's not applied so rigorously these days, and now applied to pick ups generally. Google WB Holden ute images for the epitome of the style.
You've noticed that Oz film and media take a lot of liberties with how they show firearms. Let's face it, no one is going to shoot feral pigs with a .22 or something firing .32 pistol rounds. Not if they want to survive the experience.
We have them at Obi Obi from time to time, I use an old full wood Lee Enfield,which for many years was a pretty standard on farm rifle.
I haven't watched the show, but we don't get broadcast TV here, so I lived for over 40 years without it. My lovely wife arranged for free to air satellite TV several years ago (federal govt subsidy to get it, they want people watching TV), I watch it occasionally but haven't turned it on yet.
I tend to log in here instead. Although if another TV show called Mystery Road turns up, have a watch. (I'm not 100% consistent).
second on Mystery Road the movie, my other mate Aussie actor Tony Barry appears in it as the white cop.

Registered
second on Mystery Road the movie, my other mate Aussie actor Tony Barry appears in it as the white cop.
This illustrates the difference between where Motorbikerx lives on the Gold Coast, and where I live in the hills behind the Sunshine Coast about 220 kms north; he has glamorous movie actors as friends, and I have feral pigs turn up at my front door

Registered
Perhaps feral pigs are preferable to glamorous movie actors :)

Registered
Mmm, dunno. They filmed a low budget movie called Boar down the valley a bit, near Kandanga............

1 - 20 of 25 Posts