Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,990 Posts
I get paid to drive off road and have been for over 20 years. At my job we keep the trucks in 2wd for as long as possible and make fun of the guys who have to go to 4wd right when they leave the pavement. A 2wd truck with a locker/LS with the right tires can go 99% of the places a 4wd can go. I am not talking about rock climbing in Utah or finding the biggest mud hole you can sink a vehicle in but normal woods road stuff that the majority of the "off roading" public will face.
My 2007 Ford Ranger with 4:10 gears and Trak-Loc (limited slip) is like a mountain goat, going anywhere. You're right.

·
Premium Member
13,326 Posts
Pain,
You need to ditch those new Chinese bikes and go for some vintage Japanese 2-strokes! Been having a blast on mine since I got it fixed up a few years ago.
View attachment 251135
I grew up on 2-stroke Yamaha dirt bikes. Good fun. Had a 250 4-stroke street legal enduro in Hawaii before I bought my first street bike; a 79' 650 Yamaha. Pic taken in San Diego.

I heard a rumor that Chinese bike exhausts has the coronavirus in it. (KIDDING!)

·
Premium Member
13,326 Posts
I get paid to drive off road and have been for over 20 years. At my job we keep the trucks in 2wd for as long as possible and make fun of the guys who have to go to 4wd right when they leave the pavement. A 2wd truck with a locker/LS with the right tires can go 99% of the places a 4wd can go. I am not talking about rock climbing in Utah or finding the biggest mud hole you can sink a vehicle in but normal woods road stuff that the majority of the "off roading" public will face.
I haven't really put my 98' 2wd 4Runner to the test but it sure plows through mud and sand that has a hardpan under it that isn't too deep. I'm sure the All Terrain tires help. I should try to put it through a tougher test I guess.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
My 2007 Ford Ranger with 4:10 gears and Trak-Loc (limited slip) is like a mountain goat, going anywhere. You're right.
My brother has an '03 FX4 Level 2 Ranger with the same setup with the 4.0 V6. That thing is a beast!

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I heard a rumor that Chinese bike exhausts has the coronavirus in it. (KIDDING!)
I've had a surgical mask over the exhaust end since the bike arrived ..... ;)

·
Premium Member
6,155 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
At my job we keep the trucks in 2wd for as long as possible and make fun of the guys who have to go to 4wd right when they leave the pavement. A 2wd truck with a locker/LS with the right tires can go 99% of the places a 4wd can go. I am not talking about rock climbing in Utah or finding the biggest mud hole you can sink a vehicle in but normal woods road stuff that the majority of the "off roading" public will face.
For a lot of people using 4WD, it's great way to get bogged a long way from help. Then again, if you get 2 diagonally opposite wheels off the ground, nothing is going to help. This was my driveway in 2011? after we got 750 mm of rain in a day and a half, half of it in 2 hours. There was so much damage locally, there was a 3 month waiting list to get a dozing contractor. I could have unbolted the front stabiliser bar to get more front axle drop, but I have an old SAME 4WD tractor for times like this. This day I was about 100 mm off the right line. The Sporty romped up and down it every day for the 3 months,without me dropping it into the ruts.

Attachments

·
Registered
156 Posts
For a lot of people using 4WD, it's great way to get bogged a long way from help. Then again, if you get 2 diagonally opposite wheels off the ground, nothing is going to help. This was my driveway in 2011? after we got 750 mm of rain in a day and a half, half of it in 2 hours. There was so much damage locally, there was a 3 month waiting list to get a dozing contractor. I could have unbolted the front stabiliser bar to get more front axle drop, but I have an old SAME 4WD tractor for times like this. This day I was about 100 mm off the right line. The Sporty romped up and down it every day for the 3 months,without me dropping it into the ruts.
OK, I'll keep trying to add the pic.

·
Premium Member
13,326 Posts
OK, I'll keep trying to add the pic.
Usually a .jpg, .png, or .bmp file posts better but the .pdf is viewable; at least on my system.

They say one should never go 4 wheelin' alone but what about those like yourself that just get stuck out in the boonies because that's where you live and why you have a 4wd to start with?

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
For a lot of people using 4WD, it's great way to get bogged a long way from help. Then again, if you get 2 diagonally opposite wheels off the ground, nothing is going to help.
That is why my company trucks and all the personal trucks I have ever owned has had some kind of locker or limited slip in the back. As much off roading as I do it is rare that I get one wheel from each axle off the ground but it happens and at least with something kicking in both tires in the back you have a chance. The best Locker/LS is a whole debate on its own. I am a chevy guy but their Gov Lock (a mix between LS and a mechanical locker) is a mixed bag. The last two work trucks I have had contained an electronic locker which is about the best IMO. Hardly ever had those trucks in 4wd, just left them in 2wd and activated the locker. I've put Detroit lockers in a couple of 2wd trucks I had when I was younger with decent results.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
They say one should never go 4 wheelin' alone but what about those like yourself that just get stuck out in the boonies because that's where you live and why you have a 4wd to start with?
I am alone most of the time but I learned many years ago that if it looks really bad then just park the truck and walk. I also learned when I was younger and dumber is to not ford a creek if rain is being forecast, even if it is 100 miles away. Crossed creeks that were ankle deep just to come back a few hours later to be waist deep from a storm 4 counties away.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Usually a .jpg, .png, or .bmp file posts better but the .pdf is viewable; at least on my system.

Thanks BBob, I'm glad it can be seen. When I try to open it, it just links me back to the image in my files and opens it from there.
One thing you learn here is never go out without a good pair of boots in the vehicle, in case you have to walk home.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I am alone most of the time but I learned many years ago that if it looks really bad then just park the truck and walk. I also learned when I was younger and dumber is to not ford a creek if rain is being forecast, even if it is 100 miles away. Crossed creeks that were ankle deep just to come back a few hours later to be waist deep from a storm 4 counties away.
My daughter ran small group tours for the The Imaginative Traveller for about 8 years, in places from Cambodia to Morocco and West Africa. One gig involved 8 day trips in Mongolia using GAZ 66 trucks out on the steppes. Once she had the group camp in a dry river valley to get down away from a strong dusty wind, remembered my advice about never camping down in a watercourse, climbed to the highest spot locally to check the weather, all clear. The camp got washed out at 3am by flashflooding from a storm that had happened over the horizon out of sight at least a day before. No clients drowned or trucks lost, but a couple of tents lost with their gear in them.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts