Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes laugh if you want I sure am! I am new to the big touring motorcycles and I melted my dress slacks on the way in to work this morning. Now there is khaki colored crap on my heat shield on the right side, about where your calf would be near when your feet are down at a stop light. I tried that "goo b gone" stuff but it seems that has no effect. Does anyone know what would take it off the chrome? Thanks!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
13,003 Posts
Easy off oven spray is the best. Make sure you cover all paint before spraying cause it will eat it.
Or if all fails go order a new shield.

Nickels steel wool and Penny's will scratch the chrome

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The penny worked, I used it after I just got off after a long ride, the gunk that was on there was soft, but it was so hot that it heated the penny. Thank you for the great responses guys!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Nice tip, Paul...guess your "two cents worth" was quite valuable, eh? :)

I must admit that I never heard of this...so, do you just rub the penny on the stained area...kind of "scrubbing" off the material?...and does it work for other stains...like boot marks?

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Nice tip, Paul...guess your "two cents worth" was quite valuable, eh? :)

I must admit that I never heard of this...so, do you just rub the penny on the stained area...kind of "scrubbing" off the material?...and does it work for other stains...like boot marks?
Hi Lowflight,
It seems all I do is scrape off boot marks from where I put down the kickstand or touch the pipes with my heel while riding.

If there is a lot on the pipe, I just kind of pick at it with the penny, then for the rest I just rub back and forth quickly until it is all gone, then wipe the dust off with a dry rag.

I do all this on a cold pipe. I should make a video of this to add to my motorcycle collection.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Lowflight - stuff happens man. Burned a few articles myself! The way I look at - Can't melt stuff if you aren't riding.

Paul - thanks for the penny tip. I got a "pile o' rain-suit" on my pipe from a wet ride back from Atlanta and just went out and picked at it with a penny. Coming off great.

Got to love this place!

Wheels

·
Registered
93 Posts
This happened to me kinda. I let my dad borrow my bike and he melted his nylon riding pants to the pipe. Here's what I recommend, Never use oven cleaner! It's messy, and tough to control overspray, it will damage rims and paint. Don't use it. I found that a piece of oak hardwood sharpened into a scraper used on a hot pipe after a ride worked like a charm. I'm sure you could use any kind of hardwood, take care not to burn yourself.
Cheers

1 - 15 of 15 Posts