Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
those of you running memory foam, how much do you have in your seat? did you replace the stock stuff all together, cut some out and add to it? ive trimmed my seat foam down snd now want to add some memory foam to it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes i want the profile lower then stock, right now on a little longer trip i can start to feel the lumps in the seat pan. just not sure if straight memory foam is the way to go or if i want regular as a base. thanks

·
Registered
76 Posts
When I tried straight Memory foam I found that as it warms up it gets softer until there is no support at all. I got foam from an OLD upholsterer, I do not know what it was she just said she used it in tractor seats (country lady). It was the best foam I ever sat on.... but I sold that bike and the seat went with it.

·
Registered
848 Posts
those of you running memory foam, how much do you have in your seat? did you replace the stock stuff all together, cut some out and add to it? ive trimmed my seat foam down snd now want to add some memory foam to it.

Rebuilt mine,
1) cut out all the old foam
2) replaced with 1 inch layers of Laminar foam Med firm bottom and Medium next.
3) topped it off with 1.5 inches of Memory Foam.

http://www.sunmatecushions.com/pages/motorcycle-seat-retrofitting-with-impact-absorbing-foam-applications

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cool, when you added the memory foam how did you shape it? or is it not really needed? with the regular foam i can use a grinder to shape but i am not thinking that will work on memory?

·
Registered
827 Posts
I had my seat redone by Ed's Moto in Albany, Oregon. He takes the old stuff off and builds from the ground up with 3 different densities of memory foam. The sides are the most dense to hold the butt cheeks in the right places.
It can be had as nails if I'm out camping in the cool mornings. But it soften quickly whit the butt on it.

·
Registered
263 Posts
dtmill, i have done a few seats on my harleys, lowered, changed etc. and what i found was whatever you do, add a thin layer of firm foam on the top before stretching cover back on, it cleans up any edges. from my experience, i think i would stay away from memory foam on a do it yourself basis, due to the cushion compressing and the cover not compressing fully, you might get bunching or a baggy seat complex... just my two cents.

·
Registered
848 Posts
cool, when you added the memory foam how did you shape it? or is it not really needed? with the regular foam i can use a grinder to shape but i am not thinking that will work on memory?

Shaped the memory foam with an electric carving knife

Cheers

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
gotcha, thanks guys, i have a couple local places i can check to get some foam, i dont want to have to put to much more in it, so depending on what i can get for thicknesses of foam i may take more out then add some back in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts