Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
So today I am out and I am riding next to this guy for just a bit and he is texting and driving. I am next to him at the red light and I mention to him how stupid and dangerous it is. This is a guy in his 40s, so I stay away and I'll be damned he slams his brakes on at the next red light almost nailed the car in front that decided not to go through the yellow. I told him to stop texting and learn how to drive which he then informed me I am number one in his book. Or at least I think that is the finger he was holding up. Unfortunately we cannot save the stupid, only pray that we can save ourselves from the stupid.

Happy 4th to all. Be safe.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I ride the interstates quite a bit, see it all the time, I've kicked several cars over the years that drifted into my lane while the driver was texting or distracted with whatever, only had one so far wanna get even

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
2 close calls in 2 years form stupid TEXTERS!. Both while stopped at red lights. There's nothing that makes you pucker faster than sitting at the light and hearing brakes squeal from behind. Both times, women holding cell phones in their hands and then looking embarrassed when I turn around and glare at them.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
my phone can do 2 things. make calls and take calls.no
texting here. if you want to reach me--call. of course it
is hardly ever on. they can call the wifes phone, which also doesnt text.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my phone can do 2 things. make calls and take calls.no
texting here. if you want to reach me--call.
Ditto. Mine actually has the capability to text, but I have the feature disabled. And as much as I ramble on here with my fingers, it's probably obvious I'm not anti-text. But it seems to me that stabbing out "how r u lol" would get a little old after a while.

·
Premium Member
2,408 Posts
I put a sig line on my work email: "Put down the phone and drive your car before you kill someone." I get compliments on it and no one has complained.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I put a sig line on my work email: "Put down the phone and drive your car before you kill someone." I get compliments on it and no one has complained.

I like that, I think I'll add it to my work mail as well.

Hope ya don't mind a little plagiarism.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
When I can, I show phone drivers this, caused by one of THEM...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Seems like more drivers concentrating on their phone, radio, or rear view mirror than driving now days. Comes down to a lack of respect and responsibility of operating a motor vehicle regardless of number of wheels. The rules are there but people choose not to. Follow them. I seen a handout the other day given to contractors with their one day pass and the first line said "all drivers are required to stop at red traffic signals and stop signs". Seriously? I'm thinking there must be a problem if this is line 1 on a hand out and it ain't the peculiar rules of the base.

Distractions are distractions. That's the bottom line. Virginia's no text law went to primary Monday so now you can get pulled over for texting, fb and twitter updates BUT stoll use the phone for calls, adress book, GPS, and even taking pictures of yourself driving for updating Facebook when you get to a red light because you can still text and Fb there. Lol

I'm all for the intent of the thread but think the problem is way bigger and try to make my point heard when I can. Good post and I'm adding that signature line to my emails too.

Safe ridin all

Tim

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
The problem is a Pavlovian one--an addiction to having to respond immediately to messages on one's phone. When there is a lull, some will even resort to sending out a "trolling" msg, just to evoke responses. There already are clinics dealing with cellphone addiction.
My phone is a "Stachoo" phone--it rings, I go, "Stachoo?" talk and hang up. and that's all.:)

·
Registered
511 Posts
The solution is simple and could be done overnight with a simple software upgrade to any phone no matter the brand as all phones are controlled by their software.

Since all phones have GPS these days all that has to be done is to have the phone disable the ability to text and use the phone feature when it sees a speed of more than 5 MPH. The software could be programmed to only allow the dialing of 911 calls any other phone call would not work.

To those who cry about they can't live without their phone or what if they are on a bus or train to bad so sad. Learn how to talk to people again.

Studies have shown that phone use and texting are both as bad as being DUI. States that have passed laws against texting have not worked either as crashes continue and have shown to increase because now the texting is done down on their lap so they are looking down taking even more attention away from their driving. Their driving was bad enough when they held the phones up to text now they have to conceal the phone so as to try and not get caught texting.

I could care less if you or anyone else can't make business phone calls or text while driving or riding in a car, train ect.

Funny how for decades we got along fine without texting and cell phones but now we have a group of people who think they can't do business without them.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
So today I am out and I am riding next to this guy for just a bit and he is texting and driving. I am next to him at the red light and I mention to him how stupid and dangerous it is. This is a guy in his 40s, so I stay away and I'll be damned he slams his brakes on at the next red light almost nailed the car in front that decided not to go through the yellow. I told him to stop texting and learn how to drive which he then informed me I am number one in his book. Or at least I think that is the finger he was holding up. Unfortunately we cannot save the stupid, only pray that we can save ourselves from the stupid.

Happy 4th to all. Be safe.

You can teach it to them but you can't learn it for them. You also can't help the un-willing. You'll just frustrate yourself and they'll resent you.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I ride the interstates quite a bit, see it all the time, I've kicked several cars over the years that drifted into my lane while the driver was texting or distracted with whatever, only had one so far wanna get even

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I don't think I'd kick a car that drifted toward me if creating more space and blowing the horn was an option. Startling a distracted driver at that close of a range could have some serious negative consequences. I spend as little time as possible beside and in the blind spot of motorists. I doubt very seriously I would ever be in a position where a texter could drift into me. I'll likely know they are distracted before I get to them or before the get to me. When traffic conditions allow, I build a reactionary bubble around myself. I move through blind spots as quickly as reasonably possible and don't hang out beside other motorists. That seems preferable to kicking a car that I shouldn't have been beside anyway.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts