Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One thing I can't figure is the metric fasteners, nuts bolts threads on an American bike.
Just this morning it was suggested to me that Victory's are chinese, also Canada has been suggested.
Anyone here throw any light on the metric threads and heads?

·
Registered
185 Posts
G'day.

C'mon get a grip...the whole world is metric apart form the USA..

regardless if American bike or not..they are progressive and up with the times..

We talk in litres not gallons..
Kilograms not ounces..
Kilometres not miles....

I we talk about our privates..they are still in inches...:D:D

regards,

Derek

·
Registered
158 Posts
LOL and believe it or not it is so much ezier to ask for a size 8 or 10 or even a 12,14,20 so on and so on.

No 1/8th's , 1/4's blah blah, LOL

good excuse to buy some new tools also. Thats always fun right?:rolleyes:thumb up

·
Premium Member
8,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
By law. Same reason Harley's V-Rod is metric. The older HD names are grandfathered in.
v-Rod engine is Porsche designed and engineered.
Porsche as you would know is German/metric

So the rest of the Harley range are metric too are they?

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
No, the rest of the HD's are SAE for now. About any other vehicle made in the USA uses metric bolts.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I think around 1978 is when most stuff in the US began to work it's way metric in the vehicle world. Every modern car is metric.

Right about Harley. I just finished another stator (#1 reason HD's come to my shop) in a twin-cam Ultra Classic. It was SAE.

·
Premium Member
8,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think around 1978 is when most stuff in the US began to work it's way metric in the vehicle world. Every modern car is metric.

Right about Harley. I just finished another stator (#1 reason HD's come to my shop) in a twin-cam Ultra Classic. It was SAE.
Really?...we are talking 100% American made, not badge engineered Japanese, Chinese, and Korean cars with GM and Ford names.

Metric measurements allow closer tolerances I would think.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Metric measurements allow closer tolerances I would think.
I wish SAE would go the way of the Dodo, but I don't understand this line of thinking. Either type can be made longer or shorter, more or less threads, cheap or high strength etc.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I agree, metric allows for an easier more accurate measurement. The thing with the 2 Polaris machines that I have owned is it is a combination of metric and SAE, just jumble f*cked through out making it a pain sometimes. Metric all the way!

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
The US supposedly converted to metric quite some time ago in order to "make US built cars more attractive as exports". HD, as is usual, took the route of using the loopholes for existing machinery and stayed behind the rest of the world. It was tradition to use inches and die hard HD owners would never want to admit to riding a "metric" bike, their word for trash.

·
Registered
12,249 Posts
What happened to Whitworth? One day I woke up and had no use for my Whitworth wrenches. Buggers!

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
You could have been in my dilema. I bought a nice used Triumph and found I only had some of the wrenches I needed. The rest were no longer available as Triumph was in the change over process when I bought that bike.

·
Registered
12,249 Posts
You could have been in my dilema. I bought a nice used Triumph and found I only had some of the wrenches I needed. The rest were no longer available as Triumph was in the change over process when I bought that bike.
Your dream bike turned into a nightmare, eh? I'm smitten on that Bonny T100 in white with gold trim. A "vintage" bike that comes with a warranty and parts backup. What a deal. Good thing there's no room in the garage for it. Do ask me why.:(

·
13,048 Posts
There are or is easier to get metric bolts then SAE as far as the motor world goes. Most of all parts on our bikes come from the car world.
Harley uses more metric bolts then you think and back in 79 when they went to dual disc is when Harley started using metric bolts. For the most part they use SAE bolts that are really metric.

·
Premium Member
1,181 Posts
The US supposedly converted to metric quite some time ago in order to "make US built cars more attractive as exports". HD, as is usual, took the route of using the loopholes for existing machinery and stayed behind the rest of the world. It was tradition to use inches and die hard HD owners would never want to admit to riding a "metric" bike, their word for trash.
No it was to allow parts to be imported from other countries, World wide ordering of cheap parts. To pit American workers against sweat shops with no overhead. To break down the wages. And it has come but the prices of parts not wages are going back up.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Metric is the standard unit of measure throughout the world with the exceptions of Myanmar, Liberia and US of A. When it comes to nuts and bolts, neither is better or worse, just different. One millimeter or one mile or 1/32 of an inch is just a number. Conversion of one system to another is a problem of the mind for us "more experienced" people who went through school and a few years working using the imperial or standard system. My grandkids have no idea what I'm talking about when I mention feet or yards.

Where metric is much easier is in the more complex usages of the real world. First off, everything whether it be size, volume, length, whatever, it's in the power of ten. Imperial/standard has no such base. 12 inches, 3 feet, 5280 feet, two pints, 4 quarts, etc. Another place metric shines (easier) is in length calculations. 1/2" + 3/4" + 1'4 5/8" + 5/16" + 2'7 1/2" or 12 + 19 + 422 + 10 + 800.

Yes, conversion has been hard for us good-ole-boys and in Canada we were dragged kicking and screaming into the future. That's OK though, we'll manage. Some long established standards have had to be left in their old bases such as time (60 seconds, 7 days, 24 hours, etc), measurement of an arc, nautical miles. Can you imagine trying to come up with a world wide standard base for 365 1/4 days? Those standards that remain will never change. It really doesn't matter for some things though. Leave Kentucky windage, football and HD in the past where they are more comfortable without change.

·
Registered
12,249 Posts
No it was to allow parts to be imported from other countries, World wide ordering of cheap parts. To pit American workers against sweat shops with no overhead. To break down the wages. And it has come but the prices of parts not wages are going back up.
Spoken like a true UAW fat cat. "Hey Honey, withdraw that offer on our third mansion, those damn VW guys voted not to organize.":ltr:

·
Registered
545 Posts
There are or is easier to get metric bolts then SAE as far as the motor world goes. Most of all parts on our bikes come from the car world.

Harley uses more metric bolts then you think and back in 79 when they went to dual disc is when Harley started using metric bolts. For the most part they use SAE bolts that are really metric.

And to make it even more interesting. They use metric threads with SAE heads so as not to cause unrest with the herd. That information came from a 30+ years Harley rider and mechanic.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
262 Posts
To me it doesn't matter. I would rather use metric. I own 3 Chrysler products all American made and they are 100 percent metric. I rarely ever use sae tools anymore. I mean really what does it matter if you need to use a 1/2 socket or a 13mm.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 42 Posts