Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and a friend left Thursday morning for OK got on the other side of Dunlop TN on hwy 108 and his tire went down the side wall wall just started to separate like a recap tire he had checked tire pressure before we left
He was running a 888 Metz I would recommend anyone that is running the same tire to be checking it before going for a ride

Attachments

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
I have Metzs on my CCT now with 8,000 miles on them and they have been ok but got a set of Avon Cobra's going on Monday. :grin

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Have seen this same thing before on other bikes with Metz. Just bad luck with defective tire. Tell them to get ahold of Metz they should cover the replacement.

Okay should have looked at pics first. That looks like something was rubbing on the sidewall not tread separation. It's too high up.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nothing was rubbing

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If your in the Dunlop TN Chattanooga area and break down this would be the person to call good guy and fair price

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Was the tire pressure to low or good ? Seems a impossible way to split a tire ... Glad your friend is ok

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tire pressure was good it was checked before we left

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have used Metz 880s and 888s on two different bikes and never had any trouble, but about a year ago I decided to go with the Commander II on my 2006 VTX and plan to go with them also after the first of the year on my 2013 Judge. By the tread it looks like there was not many miles on that tire? Never seen anything like that before.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
There was a problem with the Brazil made 888's a few years back but I thought those problems were taken care of. Did the tire have a few years on it?

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I broke down in Gruetli-Laager about 20 years ago coming out of Savage Gulf, I also blew a tire but it was in my company truck on a snowy night in December. Had to change that one myself, no cell phone signal around there then.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No the date on the tire was 8-16 he only had may be a couple thousand miles on it if that

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Where did the bike get towed to for a new tire? I'm sure Metzler will want to examine that one as it's such an unusual failure.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I know several folks over on the RSV sires had tread separation troubles with different Metzlers over the years. Would sling the tread plum off the tire. As for this tire it looks as though it may have been low on pressure for awhile and run on. Like maybe a slow type leak and then eventually it flexs the sidewall to much and it goes flat.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Where did the bike get towed to for a new tire? I'm sure Metzler will want to examine that one as it's such an unusual failure.
Toke it to Crockett in Chattanooga

·
Registered
20 Posts
Man, I love my WhiteWEall Metzler 888's on my 2012 High Ball. When I switched to those from that factory tire from Polaris the corner grabbing experience was HIGHLY noticeable. I would go into a curve lean over, the tire would have this 'grabbing' 'latching' effect into the asphalt, and with a twist of the throttle shoot you out the other side! Yeah, I still drive my cruiser like a crotch rocket sometimes on twistys...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
They do look good on that bike. I personally HATE white wall tires. PIA to keep clean and looking good. I dont even mount the white letter tires with the lettering out because they look terrible in a week or so. Just more work than I like to put in, I would rather ride.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks! my upkeep on the WW's are really minimal. ArmorAll has a spray on degreaser/cleaner, that requires no scrubbing, or extra work, I spray that on before I hand wash the bike once a week, and they come out all nice and white and shiney. But, yer right, WW and raised White letter tires are a PITA sometime to upkeep. I've found the ArmorAll does a great job with minimal effort, and I'm back on the road riding, with that 'Old School for an Old Fool' look!

Thanks for the reply. As you can also see on the bike I bought an old chrome '10' or '09 bucket style headlight had the back end dechromed and then powder-coated the back end with a satin black and left the front bezel chrome, and the H11's plug right into the internal assembly. I picked that up as a used part from MOM's out of Massachusetts, great great place for Victory parts. The short fly screen you see there is really from a Hammer. While the fork clamps for the Hammer were too large for the diameter of the High Ball forks, I was able to pickup a mounting kit from National. The mail seat and pillion are from Mustang, which made one helluva difference from the factory seat Polaris put on the Gunner's and High Balls. Those factory seats were great if you were bar hopping which I don't do and disagree with, but that extra padding helped out immensely for my old boney butt to ride long distances.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts