Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is an update on my. Michelin Commander II tires....

At almost 4000 miles they show no sign of wear, nothing, no flat spot from running almost all highway....

I never had a tire that didn't start to show that tell tale flat spot in the centre of the tire from so much highway running.

There is some bad news though..........
There is a hum that comes from the front tire when running straight at aprox 30-35 mph. The hum or buzz comes right threw the bars. It's not bad but gets your att.

Also I find the bike (twitchy) as if it wants to go into a speed wobble if you hit a small bump while leaned over at speeds above 60mph.
It will shake its head and really get your attention on a sweeper at speed. Really dislike this. Feels very unstable. The E3s didn't do this at all ever. Even when I pounded the bike over big bumps while at high speed in tight turns... The E3s were very stable.......

Also I was out in the rain and while merging onto the highway the rear broke loose and spun....... Caught me off guard. So I have to say I don't trust them in the rain.....

Not sure if I will buy these again. They really killed the great handling the XCT Had...............

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Appreciate your input .. The Com II's are without question the best tires ever had on my FXR4 and I have tried them all .. Perhaps the style and/or weight of the Cross Bikes makes a difference ..

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Appreciate your input .. The Com II's are without question the best tires ever had on my FXR4 and I have tried them all .. Perhaps the style and/or weight of the Cross Bikes makes a difference ..
They are bias ply versus the radials spec'd for the bikes so experimental deviations should be expected, though a couple of the spoked Cross bikes do use a bias ply front tire.

I got some Bridgestone Radials I'm getting anxious to test out, but not sure I'm gonna get to serious with them until next spring. Cold and sandy roads aren't great test beds...

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
They are bias ply versus the radials spec'd for the bikes so experimental deviations should be expected, though a couple of the spoked Cross bikes do use a bias ply front tire.

I got some Bridgestone Radials I'm getting anxious to test out, but not sure I'm gonna get to serious with them until next spring. Cold and sandy roads aren't great test beds...
Be curious to hear how you do presently have Avon Cobras on my XC and so far (6K) are outshining the OEM Dunlops ..

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I knew there would be a difference between the radials and the bias but I didn't expect the bike to shake its head in the corners on un-even pavement.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
I have a cobra on the rear of mine and stock dunlop on the front, in the rain i have to be careful because the rear sticks and pushes the front around.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a cobra on the rear of mine and stock dunlop on the front, in the rain i have to be careful because the rear sticks and pushes the front around.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
That would be a lot spookier than the back. Having the front wash out is not good....

·
Registered
257 Posts
Here is an update on my. Michelin Commander II tires....

At almost 4000 miles they show no sign of wear, nothing, no flat spot from running almost all highway....

I never had a tire that didn't start to show that tell tale flat spot in the centre of the tire from so much highway running.

There is some bad news though..........
There is a hum that comes from the front tire when running straight at aprox 30-35 mph. The hum or buzz comes right threw the bars. It's not bad but gets your att.

Also I find the bike (twitchy) as if it wants to go into a speed wobble if you hit a small bump while leaned over at speeds above 60mph.
It will shake its head and really get your attention on a sweeper at speed. Really dislike this. Feels very unstable. The E3s didn't do this at all ever. Even when I pounded the bike over big bumps while at high speed in tight turns... The E3s were very stable.......

Also I was out in the rain and while merging onto the highway the rear broke loose and spun....... Caught me off guard. So I have to say I don't trust them in the rain.....

Not sure if I will buy these again. They really killed the great handling the XCT Had...............
I am on my 2nd set of Commander II's on the Vision and haven't seen any of the problems you talk about. Is the air pressure in your shock set correctly? Maybe it is a little too soft.

Breaking the rear tire loose in the rain happens on both the E3 and the Commander tires. I think this is simply a case of less throttle in this circumstance. cheers

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am on my 2nd set of Commander II's on the Vision and haven't seen any of the problems you talk about. Is the air pressure in your shock set correctly? Maybe it is a little too soft.

Breaking the rear tire loose in the rain happens on both the E3 and the Commander tires. I think this is simply a case of less throttle in this circumstance. cheers
Shock s same as always.
You may not be as aggressive in the turns as I am.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I wonder about tire pressure also but I would think a little lower pressure would help what you describe because it would increase tire contact patch a little. My XC developed a tendency to speed wobble also at 70+ when I removed the E3's but since I put a Klockwerks flip windshield on it, it's steady rock way past 80 now. My bike will never see E3's again (hate them) as long as I own it so I'm glad I discovered that.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wonder about tire pressure also but I would think a little lower pressure would help what you describe because it would increase tire contact patch a little. My XC developed a tendency to speed wobble also at 70+ when I removed the E3's but since I put a Klockwerks flip windshield on it, it's steady rock way past 80 now. My bike will never see E3's again (hate them) as long as I own it so I'm glad I discovered that.
I liked the E3s, they lasted a lot longer than I thought they would. They handled very well and stuck like glue.

Your idea to try a lower pressure sounds good. I will try it.

I run a lot of highway and the E3s lasted 12000 miles.
I didn't put e3s back on because they are very expensive around here.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Shock s same as always.
You may not be as aggressive in the turns as I am.
Maybe not, I only hit curves at just below twice the suggested speed 80% of the time. :p

I run 41 PSI front and rear and the shock set fairly stiff. A friend of mine had the issue of bouncing through the curves until he added some more air to the rear shock. Made quite a bit of difference in his performance. Air is cheap so you might give it a try.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Maybe not, I only hit curves at just below twice the suggested speed 80% of the time. :p

I run 41 PSI front and rear and the shock set fairly stiff. A friend of mine had the issue of bouncing through the curves until he added some more air to the rear shock. Made quite a bit of difference in his performance. Air is cheap so you might give it a try.
I will try that..
I am open to any sugestions that will make it better.

On the way home last week a guy on a Harley climbed up my ass as we were heading into a nasty turn on the 4 lane hwy. I decided to see how determained he was to take on a Victory.... I rolled into the throttle untill I hit the stop and tried to hold my line while the front of my bike started its slow head shake. I was only 2 feet from the concrete bairier on that turn.

The Harley guy fell back. but I am not sure if I just over powered him with the 106 or he was un-willing or un-able to lean the bike that far. Or maybe he was smarter than me and decided that concrete devider was a BIG deterent to being a smart ass.... like me..
After the turn I was still 20 over and he rolled on by ... not even a wave from him.....

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
What tires are you running now ? How do you like them?

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
I greatly appreciate this thread. I have 12,600 miles on my oem E3's and they still look very good. I've been running 38psi in the front and 40psi in the back since day one. I'll likely get another set of E3's once these are gone. The new E3 MT (Multi Tread) rear should be an improvement over the standard E3 as well.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I've got the OEM E3's still at 11,000 and I'd say they are worn but doing great, I expect 3-5k more out of them right now. I did get the flat spot ridge on both this season after 4k of highway trips but I've been adjusting the pressures around until I find that happy pressure for me. I'm at 38 front and 40psi rear and that is what I'm going to stick with loaded, the ridges are almost gone and I'm getting very even wear and a great feel on the road. I used to hate these tires in the rain but now I've got no complaints and I think I'm going to stick with them again for the next set. I'd been running ME880's on my last bike and my plan was to go back to them but there was no way I'd get this mileage out of them but I was 100% thrilled with them on the road and in the rain.
I guess it comes down to wallet pain when it is time for new tires.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I greatly appreciate this thread. I have 12,600 miles on my oem E3's and they still look very good. I've been running 38psi in the front and 40psi in the back since day one. I'll likely get another set of E3's once these are gone. The new E3 MT (Multi Tread) rear should be an improvement over the standard E3 as well.
I had no issues with the E3s really. Yeah, they slip on hot tar snakes, just like a bazillion other tires I've owned before. Yeah, they wiggle around a little on lightly wet roads before the oil washes off, just like a bazillion other tires I've owned before. I never found their grip lacking at the lean angles our bikes are capable of acheiving, but if Dunlop wants to offer me a softer shoulder, that's cool. For those who ride twisty roads everyday, it will likely mean reduced tire life, but few are probably so lucky.

Thus far, the place I buy my tires has not put anything in their ads that indicate the buns they're selling are dual compound, so I gotta conclude they're still selling the originals. I chose the Bridgestones this time because they get great reviews from the Gold Wing riders AND they are over $80 cheaper than the E3s. Seemed enticing enough for me to experiment...

·
Premium Member
562 Posts

For the benefit of other forum members, it would be good of you to go ahead and bite the bullet and try them out now and report back to us sooner, rather than later. ;)

I had no issues with the E3s really. Yeah, they slip on hot tar snakes, just like a bazillion other tires I've owned before. Yeah, they wiggle around a little on lightly wet roads before the oil washes off, just like a bazillion other tires I've owned before. I never found their grip lacking at the lean angles our bikes are capable of acheiving, but if Dunlop wants to offer me a softer shoulder, that's cool. For those who ride twisty roads everyday, it will likely mean reduced tire life, but few are probably so lucky.

Thus far, the place I buy my tires has not put anything in their ads that indicate the buns they're selling are dual compound, so I gotta conclude they're still selling the originals. I chose the Bridgestones this time because they get great reviews from the Gold Wing riders AND they are over $80 cheaper than the E3s. Seemed enticing enough for me to experiment...
Will be interested in your review and given the results of your tests, which you would go with on your next required change out. cheers

·
Registered
848 Posts
I liked the E3s, they lasted a lot longer than I thought they would. They handled very well and stuck like glue.

Your idea to try a lower pressure sounds good. I will try it.

I run a lot of highway and the E3s lasted 12000 miles.
I didn't put e3s back on because they are very expensive around here.
Start with the recommended tire pressure, lowering it will nto buy you anything good.

Got 9900 out of the rear OEM tire E3 and 17,000 out of the front.
Put on an Avon Cobra up front and will replace the rear with Avon as well. No tar snake issues with Avon, great traction wet or dry, no noise and they are build for a heavy bike.

Price, You get what you pay for. I find it absolutly crazy why anyone with a expensive Motorcycle would skimp on the most important part, Tires.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts