Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mom mistakenly ran her microwave for 30 minutes with nothing in it. She thought she was running the kitchen timer :( It now will not work and shows no evidence of life. No light. No display. No nothing. She said when she got back to it, the entire device was pretty hot. The circuit breaker was not tripped but just in case, she switched the breaker off and on with no change. So a question for any appliance knowledgeable folks out there. Any ideas of what might have broken and how to repair it? It is a built in device above the stove with vent fan and lights so it will be pretty expensive to replace. She lives nearby and I'm pretty handy and could attempt a repair if I knew what to do. Thanks for any advice you can offer.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
Once dried out wet boots in a microwave.
Worked great no shrinkage.
Second time I did it the oven **** itself.
Theyre cheap to buy mate get yr mom a new one for xmas and use the old one for target practice Elvis style:devil

·
Registered
347 Posts
Second time I did it the oven **** itself.

That made me laugh out loud!

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Most microwaves now-a-days have a thermal fuse inside that has to be replaced.
Take it apart and look for something attached to the side of the oven part.
Usually a disk shaped item with 2 wires coming from it.
Meter it to see if it is open. Take the 2 wires off of it and touch them together and the display should come back on.
Don't run it without this fuse. Get a new one.
And yes, be careful of capacitors and such... they are still charged.
Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I"m gonna say this again.. there is some SERIOUSLY high voltage inside of a microwave in those capacitors... it can and WILL knock you on your ass or kill you if you don't know what you're doing. Generally most things I'd say 'go watch a youtube vid and go for it' but stuff with really high voltage caps in them are dangerous. If you don't have some experience working with electronics or electricity in general... I'd say 'just say Merry Xmas mom!' and get her a new one.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I appreciate the info, advice and warnings. I will take care not to touch any capacitor prongs. I won't get to this for about a week and it will be powered down during that time so hopefully some of the capacitors will drain down during that time.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
Thanks. I appreciate the info, advice and warnings. I will take care not to touch any capacitor prongs. I won't get to this for about a week and it will be powered down during that time so hopefully some of the capacitors will drain down during that time.

G'day,

Vinish
Make sure your life insurance is paid up before opening it up...then at least if you do come to grief your mom can buy a new microwave.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hehehe. Perhaps good advice for others but at my age and situation, I neither have nor need any life insurance. Well, I guess that is not totally true. I have something like a 1X salary life insurance provided gratis by my employer but nothing else. I have no one relying on my income so no need for any life insurance. Selling my bikes after my death will easily pay for my funeral.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Hehehe. Perhaps good advice for others but at my age and situation, I neither have nor need any life insurance. Well, I guess that is not totally true. I have something like a 1X salary life insurance provided gratis by my employer but nothing else. I have no one relying on my income so no need for any life insurance. Selling my bikes after my death will easily pay for my funeral.

G'day,

Vinish
You sound like me! Nobody relying on me anymore!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
You sound like me! Nobody relying on me anymore!
Same here. No kids, no family, just the wife, and I plan on taking her with me when I go. :angel

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
Same here. No kids, no family, just the wife, and I plan on taking her with me when I go. :angel
Maybe you could do a video on "death by microwave".....:angel

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Maybe you could do a video on "death by microwave".....:angel
That is so wrong on many levels but my dark and twisted sense of humor couldn't help but to laugh

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
That is so wrong on many levels but my dark and twisted sense of humor couldn't help but to laugh

We must have very similar senses of humour then mate.....its been one of those days here.

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
I hope it gets better for you!

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
Getting better already.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Perhaps I can be a Darwin award winner. If that comes to pass, unfortunately, I already have progeny so my clearly stupid genes have been passed on.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I can announce complete success in my efforts to fix my Mom's microwave. For those of you just tuning in, she ran it for 30 minutes with nothing in the oven because she thought she was running the timer. I took it apart, experimented, and read a bit online about microwave repair. This model of large over the range/under the cupboard type microwave has at least five high temperature cutoff (TCO) devices in the wiring. These are in various places inside the case. All of these are supposed to automatically reset themselves. That is, when they detect a temperature over their limit, they stop transmitting current through them. Once they cool back down below some setpoint, they resume allowing the flow of current. One of these TCO devices responds to temperatures inside the cooking cavity itself and if it gets too hot, this TCO is well known to self-destruct such that it will not resume transmitting current when it cools down. I checked that all of the TCO devices were working and, sure enough, the one above the cooking cavity was broken.

I was able to buy a new TCO with the exact part number of the original. It had a surprisingly high cost at ~$20. I got this in the mail yesterday, installed it today and, voila - the microwave works again.

I even read online in a post about replacing this TCO that the poster's mother-in-law ran the microwave for 30 minutes thinking it was the timer. Sounded vaguely familiar :)

Before messing with the TCO devices, I did measure the voltage across the two large capacitors in the microwave and there was no voltage. It must have all dissipated during the ~1 week the oven was broken and unused before I took it to my home for repair.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
I can announce complete success in my efforts to fix my Mom's microwave. For those of you just tuning in, she ran it for 30 minutes with nothing in the oven because she thought she was running the timer. I took it apart, experimented, and read a bit online about microwave repair. This model of large over the range/under the cupboard type microwave has at least five high temperature cutoff (TCO) devices in the wiring. These are in various places inside the case. All of these are supposed to automatically reset themselves. That is, when they detect a temperature over their limit, they stop transmitting current through them. Once they cool back down below some setpoint, they resume allowing the flow of current. One of these TCO devices responds to temperatures inside the cooking cavity itself and if it gets too hot, this TCO is well known to self-destruct such that it will not resume transmitting current when it cools down. I checked that all of the TCO devices were working and, sure enough, the one above the cooking cavity was broken.

I was able to buy a new TCO with the exact part number of the original. It had a surprisingly high cost at ~$20. I got this in the mail yesterday, installed it today and, voila - the microwave works again.

I even read online in a post about replacing this TCO that the poster's mother-in-law ran the microwave for 30 minutes thinking it was the timer. Sounded vaguely familiar :)

Before messing with the TCO devices, I did measure the voltage across the two large capacitors in the microwave and there was no voltage. It must have all dissipated during the ~1 week the oven was broken and unused before I took it to my home for repair.

G'day,

Vinish
Glad you got it fixed!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts