Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 5'4" and probably shrinking. Maybe I need to spend some time in one of those hangy upside down things while holding an anvil.
My brake pedal is about a block away, and the bars need to come closer.

I decided against strapping a Jack Russell to the bottom of each shoe, and went with a boot from Leatherup with a much thicker re-soleable sole.
I ordered a set of 2 inch Rox pivoting handlbar risers.
I found a brake pedal that should give about another inch.
I looked all over, and no one seems to make a shorter lever, and I'm not ready to start cutting things up, so I went with this: Victory brake pedal-kit Vision Cross Roads Cross Country Magnum
$20 cheaper than his website, but the same guy.

I thought about putting on some lowering bones, but just about everything I read warns against it, and it looks like a helluva lotta work.

I think the stock seat is thin enough, so I don't want to go carving out foam.
The bike has Dunlop 491's. There's about half life left on them, but maybe a shorter tire might help? I haven't researched that yet. These are getting towards their end. They're 5 years old.

Am I missing anything other than requesting the roads be raised?

·
Registered
12,249 Posts
Have a saddle customizer move you forward, it worked for me.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure if they make them for the crosses, but my bike had a 1.5" pull back kit for the foot controls on my Vegas (I've never seen the reduced reach kits online).
This is the mod for the handlebars. I almost spent twice as much at J&P. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003CJN7VA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
You reaaaally gotta watch those J&P guys. Some prices are great, and others are jacked up so high, it's ridiculous!
I bought a motorcycle trailer chock from Harbor fright for $39. They have the same exact one at J&P for $169. :eek: :eek: :eek:
:eek :eek :eek

·
Premium Member
13,322 Posts
I have that same brake pedal on my XC. It won't help at all with reach but it will give you more real estate to press on. If you turned it sideways it would give you a half inch or so but look silly IMHO. I like it though and at that price may get one for my KP as well.

There are use bike part places all over the country; including Phoenix. If you can find a good used brake arm; we could machine it down to fit. If you look at my KP before it was wrecked by a friend and repainted everyone else can see how far out there the brake pedal is and how repositioning it back 2-3" would easily solve this dilemma.

Or you could grow your right leg a few inches; whichever you find easier.

I did a quick look online for used brake levers and found one that's a little bent (kinda like me :D). It could be straighted with a press then machined to bring the peg back toward you. Since you use your legs to push on the rear brake lever you will still have plenty of leverage. You probably wouldn't even notice the difference. You probably know a dozen people in your area to do the machining if you didn't want to come to my place to do it. I could even sand blast it for you so you could paint it since it has some scratches but the price is about a fifth of new. Or you could keep looking and find one in better condition.

HERE is another one not bent but used. Probably a better deal.

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have that same brake pedal on my XC. It won't help at all with reach but it will give you more real estate to press on. If you turned it sideways it would give you a half inch or so but look silly IMHO. I like it though and at that price may get one for my KP as well.

There are use bike part places all over the country; including Phoenix. If you can find a good used brake arm; we could machine it down to fit. If you look at my KP before it was wrecked by a friend and repainted everyone else can see how far out there the brake pedal is and how repositioning it back 2-3" would easily solve this dilemma.

Or you could grow your right leg a few inches; whichever you find easier.

I did a quick look online for used brake levers and found one that's a little bent (kinda like me :D). It could be straighted with a press then machined to bring the peg back toward you. Since you use your legs to push on the rear brake lever you will still have plenty of leverage. You probably wouldn't even notice the difference. You probably know a dozen people in your area to do the machining if you didn't want to come to my place to do it. I could even sand blast it for you so you could paint it since it has some scratches but the price is about a fifth of new. Or you could keep looking and find one in better condition.

HERE is another one not bent but used. Probably a better deal.
I think I'm going to try the pedal and a new pair of boots.
If that doesn't get me there, I'll fill in the backside relief on the brake arm with some JB weld or something, cut the end off, clean it up, then drill and tap a new hole.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
those risers don't say how far back they will move the bars.
Mr Johnny,
You mount these into your current riser.
You can stand them straight up and get two inches higher, or lay them over, and get two inches closer.

·
Registered
12,249 Posts
I rode a XC with 2" pullback bars and it was more difficult to mount and dismount. The bars were in my way. That's why I had my seat modded to move me forward. That got me closer to the bars and foot controls. You do know the foot controls are movable fore and aft?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I rode a XC with 2" pullback bars and it was more difficult to mount and dismount. The bars were in my way. That's why I had my seat modded to move me forward. That got me closer to the bars and foot controls. You do know the foot controls are movable fore and aft?
I certainly didn't notice anything movable about them on my Kingpin.
Maybe I better look again.

ETA: You show me where they're movable, and I'll send you ten pounds of unobtainium.

·
Registered
12,249 Posts
I certainly didn't notice anything movable about them on my Kingpin.
Maybe I better look again.
Oops...they're movable on Cross bikes.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oops...they're movable on Cross bikes.
Alrighty then, now that we got that one taken care of, what else ya got?:grin

·
Registered
12,249 Posts
Alrighty then, now that we got that one taken care of, what else ya got?:grin
Am I right that you have a Cross bike or no? If you do, so do I and that's all I got; pulling the foot controls back and having the saddle pushing me up. If you require a lower seat to ground height, there are lowering links out there and they are very easy to install if you know which end of the screwdriver is the handle. There are YouTube vids for virtually every installation on our Vics. There are also super low saddles and I know someone in Phoenix who has one for sale, if she still has it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Am I right that you have a Cross bike or no? If you do, so do I and that's all I got; pulling the foot controls back and having the saddle pushing me up. If you require a lower seat to ground height, there are lowering links out there and they are very easy to install if you know which end of the screwdriver is the handle. There are YouTube vids for virtually every installation on our Vics. There are also super low saddles and I know someone in Phoenix who has one for sale, if she still has it.
No Ric, I have a Kingpin, that's why I posted this in the kingpin forum.
Personally, I cant really imagine how a seat could get much lower or thinner than the stock one on this and still remain comfy, but I suppose anything is possible.

As I stated in the OP, I don't think I want to use lowering links/bones. There's just too many things to modify, or have go wrong once they're on. On top of that, I read that the pipes need to come off, and there might be some modding and grinding on the belt cover, and a few more things that result in less than desirable consequences.

You can change out the links with a screw driver? I haz to get me one, I only gots hammer.:devil

I looked at my desired tire, the Metzeler 888 which has an aspect ratio of 90. Then I saw the 880's, which have an AR of 80, which might almost give a person an inch of lowering.

It would still affect lean angle, and speed bump clearing, but it wouldn't chew up wiring, the fender, the belt, or the tire itself.

ETA: I'm not really trying to be jerk here, I just get really tired of going to a forum looking for an end table, and having to dig through sofas and TV's and other **** that people throw at me.
I try to be as concise as I can in the opening post of my threads. Sometimes it seems no one reads them.

·
Premium Member
13,322 Posts
Your frustration is understandable. What you can do to help eliminate some of that is to simply put the model and year of your bike in your sig line like everyone else does. It's just habit to look there to see what's being talked about.

By the way; what does ETA mean? You have obviously spent a lot of time on forums and know your way around them but of course they all function just a little different.

We want to help you; help us help you.

I'm reminded of a woman who popped up about a year ago with a total attitude. Real bossy; I'm sure you know the type. The bossier she got the more she wasn't helped. Thankfully she soon sold the bike and got some other brand so she left and never came back. I felt bad for her husband. He must have been a real cuck.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Your frustration is understandable. What you can do to help eliminate some of that is to simply put the model and year of your bike in your sig line like everyone else does. It's just habit to look there to see what's being talked about.

By the way; what does ETA mean? You have obviously spent a lot of time on forums and know your way around them but of course they all function just a little different.

We want to help you; help us help you.

I'm reminded of a woman who popped up about a year ago with a total attitude. Real bossy; I'm sure you know the type. The bossier she got the more she wasn't helped. Thankfully she soon sold the bike and got some other brand so she left and never came back. I felt bad for her husband. He must have been a real cuck.
Sorry Bob. ETA=Edited To Add.
I'll fix me a up Signature. I just hadn't gotten that far yet. I'm off!

·
Registered
12,249 Posts
Sorry about not knowing you had a Hammer. I didn't look closely at which sub forum. Just got back from a week in the saddle and am late for this party. A signature with that info would have helped tho.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry about not knowing you had a Hammer. I didn't look closely at which sub forum. Just got back from a week in the saddle and am late for this party. A signature with that info would have helped tho.
Youz a funny Guy!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts