Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to know how many times you can run a 116 cold before you start hurting it.

Backstory to question...
Alright, 3 weeks ago today i totaled my 2010 Skull bike. Coming back from lunch on the highway, running the cruise control and doing about 65ish in the left lane. I was about 2 cars behind an F150 and i dont remember too much detail until the bad parts. I remember the truck jerking over to the right lane so hard he almost lost control, and there was a car in the left lane (not sure if he had just pulled out or was camping) running somewhere between 25 and 30 mph. I grabbed the brakes and tried to shed some speed but it was obvious i wasn't going to make it. The back end locked up and was fishtailing on me, so i just tried to point it towards the median. She high sided me and i landed on my head. Cracked my helmet, shattered my collarbone into 5 pieces, dislocated my shoulder, and took out about 4/5 ribs on the handlebars before i left the saddle. Then my beautiful girl hit her side (i was upside down but i watched it happen) and decided she wanted to be with me. She chased me into the ditch (luckily she missed me).

Im recovering and not looking for a pity party but the bike is totaled and I'm looking at a few different ones to replace her. I'm asking because one of the bikes is a 116ci with 37k on her. i dont think thats too many miles, just wondering because its at a dealer, so im sure they dont warm it up properly before they take it out for "test rides". Is it worth all that id save on getting the 116 vs the potential damage that may have already been done to it by salesmen that dont know how/care to properly warm up an engine. this question is mostly to Half Crazy but anybody else that KNOWS feel free to jump in.

Reactions: adamnorthup

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Hope you recover soon , Brother . Good luck .

Reactions: HowardGNelson

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
Well... 37,000 miles wouldn't bother me, but I would hesitate to buy a big bore if I didn't know the history of it.

Who built it? Who tuned it? Who owned it? How was it ridden/treated? Have they let people test ride it? Did they warm it up?

It doesn't matter what the engine, you should be warming it up anyway. Your stock 106 can be all scorched up from running it hard when cold.

·
13,262 Posts
so how much are they asking. You could buy a different one and build your own power plant

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
Prayers inbound for your total and quick restoration.

·
Premium Member
5,075 Posts
Here's to a quick recovery.

·
Premium Member
6,229 Posts
sorry to hear about your accident, hope you will have full recovery, and keep us updated in your choices ?

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
@HowardGNelson Glad to read you're on the mend and here to make a decision on new ride ..... :wink
Personally I'd steer around somebody else's heavily engine modified bike.

·
Premium Member
8,992 Posts
Glad to hear you survived the smash, wishing you a speedy recovery.
Any used machine is a gamble of sorts, I'd say a thorough inspection including a compression test should show up the general condition.
Could be a bargain or a bomb, if the price is right I'd be taking it for a ride.
Probably cammed up as well, surely there's some history on it.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
its a 2012 xct, and its in South Carolina, so i would think KevinX did the build but who knows.
heres a link to the bike.
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour? Motorcycles Greer South Carolina VIC3480
thing is i wont be able to GO get it for about 3 months, so if i get anything now i will just have to have it shipped to me and pray its in good shape when it gets here. i've never done it but i have a buddy thats gotten 2 like that and both times came out smelling like a rose.
i found a smoking deal on a stock 14 tour with 16k miles so im kinda thinking about that one too, but then theres an AFG one in Houston (stock) for cheap. i got to keep a bunch of stuff off of my old one (JTD, ATS, Filter, D&Ds and a few other things) so a stock bike wouldn't stay stock long. great thing was i had the cobra fuel tuner so my insurance paid out almost 700 on that thing (i was about to buy a PC-V). i may just wait till i heal up to get one so i can just fly there, and ride it back. thanks for the advice HC (and everyone else) and appreciate the prayers and well wishes.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Buying a Used 116ci Vic

First off.... I hope you heal and recover well and quickly...

Having been in a couple of tumbles myself, I know the pain and healing that goes along with the itch to get back in the saddle...

As far as the 116 goes with 37K miles...

In my humble opinion, I'd probably pass on it...

Here's my thinking... I have a 2014 15th Anniversary Edition Cross Country Tour that I had Kyle up in R.I. of KMC Powersports do the work on to take it from stock to the monster it is now (Lloyd's Big Bore 116ci kit with diamond cut heads, Lloyd's timing wheel, air filter, and HP cams, Power Commander 5 which gets me 130HP / 130 ft/lbs TQ). One of the things he absolutely stressed to me, that to preserve the life of the engine, was to warm that baby up before getting on it. The different metals involved (aluminum and steel) have different temperature characteristics as far as expansion goes. The engine must be running for a while so that everything is adequately warmed up, or you will do damage, whether its scorched cylinders or burnt rings or valves... damage will occur.

As you have no idea of not only how the dealership used it and allowed it to be used for demo rides, but as well as how the original owner used/abused it, I think the gamble is not worth the risk.

My opinion is to buy a new (to you) mill, and build it out so that you are the only rider...

Just my $.02

Good luck with your healing and hope you are back in the saddle as soon as you want to be...

Joe

Attachments

·
Registered
166 Posts
Wow, you're very lucky to still be with us! Wishing you a speedy recovery and many more rides once you are feeling better.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts