Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind does this forum like?

I know, I know. Pretty lame effort at making a funny.:|

But seriously, I am not a fan of the stock mirrors on my XC. The stem is a little short, and the tear-drop style does not provide much coverage. Although I do kind of like the style of them. So, now that I've completely contradicted myself, I will re-state the question...

What style do you prefer? What brand did you go with? Did you stick with the stock ones? What's with all these questions? :grin

Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
I'll start this by saying I adjust mirrors (on bike or cage) to "look" down the adjacent lane to facilitate rapid evasive maneuvers. I move my head a bit to see directly behind me. That has saved my fat many times. Consequently, I find the stock mirrors quite adequate. That's worked for me for over 65 years of riding/driving.
Some complain the left mirror is lower than the right. A free remedy is to run out the threads (there are a lot of 'em in the female hole) so to raise the mirror stem. Voila! Higher left mirror.

·
Registered
193 Posts
What kind does this forum like?

I know, I know. Pretty lame effort at making a funny.:|

But seriously, I am not a fan of the stock mirrors on my XC. The stem is a little short, and the tear-drop style does not provide much coverage. Although I do kind of like the style of them. So, now that I've completely contradicted myself, I will re-state the question...

What style do you prefer? What brand did you go with? Did you stick with the stock ones? What's with all these questions? :grin

Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks
My issue with the stock mirrors was that they were so low that when I wore thicker gloves, I would constantly hit them. Victory has another mirror that has a longer stem which worked great for me.

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts
cant speak about the XC XCT mirrors , but Im ok with my stock Vegas mirrors.
Mirrors are for seeing behind and alongside me

EDIT...Only beef is they go rusty quickly

·
Super Moderator
6,375 Posts

·
13,185 Posts
JP Cycle has all kinds of mirrors. Keep in mind you want metric mirrors cause of the threads or get Ness adapters and any of them will fit.

When I had my HD every time I sat on it I would have to adjust the mirrors for whatever reason. On the vision I have never touched the mirrors after the first time I put them in place

·
Registered
279 Posts
motorbikerx
My mirrors started to rust also, I cleaned, polished and then sprayed them with clear coat. No more rust since.

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts
motorbikerx
My mirrors started to rust also, I cleaned, polished and then sprayed them with clear coat. No more rust since.
Ill give that a try though theyre pretty far gone.
Mainly the stalk and nut ,not the actual mirror backing.....which incidentally look identical to the mirrors on a mates 750 Honda Shadow

·
Registered
279 Posts
Yea, that is what was rusting on my bike. both stems and retaining nuts. Cleaned the rust and some chrome then buffed it out.

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts
Yea, that is what was rusting on my bike. both stems and retaining nuts. Cleaned the rust and some chrome then buffed it out.
another job to put on the list....I was thinking of black heat shrink but thatd not suit this bike

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll start this by saying I adjust mirrors (on bike or cage) to "look" down the adjacent lane to facilitate rapid evasive maneuvers. I move my head a bit to see directly behind me. That has saved my fat many times. Consequently, I find the stock mirrors quite adequate. That's worked for me for over 65 years of riding/driving.
Some complain the left mirror is lower than the right. A free remedy is to run out the threads (there are a lot of 'em in the female hole) so to raise the mirror stem. Voila! Higher left mirror.
Thanks, RICZ. I have adjusted mine somewhat similar to what you describe, and yet I still do not have that great of a view behind me. I will play around with the threads and also rotating the clutch/mirror bracket to see if I can get a little more out of them.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My issue with the stock mirrors was that they were so low that when I wore thicker gloves, I would constantly hit them. Victory has another mirror that has a longer stem which worked great for me.
Thanks, bnhender. I don't have that problem, but I would definitely like to get longer stems.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cant speak about the XC XCT mirrors , but Im ok with my stock Vegas mirrors.
Mirrors are for seeing behind and alongside me

EDIT...Only beef is they go rusty quickly
Thanks, Motorbikerx. I can see alongside me pretty good, but even after adjusting them as much I can, I can't get decent blindside coverage.

Plus, I don't think I ever seen mirrors get rusty.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
JP Cycle has all kinds of mirrors. Keep in mind you want metric mirrors cause of the threads or get Ness adapters and any of them will fit.

When I had my HD every time I sat on it I would have to adjust the mirrors for whatever reason. On the vision I have never touched the mirrors after the first time I put them in place
Thanks, VisionJohnny.I'll check JP Cycles. Mine stay put, so I rarely have to adjust them.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
motorbikerx
You know, that's not a bad idea. I can see method that being useful on several things on the scoot.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Taller mirrors.

Got some off of a old Triumph Tiger (2005?). Put them on when my XR was new in 2011. Lucked out got them from a friend---free. They are black,which I like and the stem is taller. Also the mirror itself is a good size and shaped good. Gave him my old Victory mirrors which were new then. I did not like the stock ones because they were to close to my hands. Been happy with the Triumph mirrors. I would recommend them. NOT fancy, very functional.

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
Thanks, RICZ. I have adjusted mine somewhat similar to what you describe, and yet I still do not have that great of a view behind me. I will play around with the threads and also rotating the clutch/mirror bracket to see if I can get a little more out of them.
To look behind, I simply move my head. I consider the need to execute a rapid evasive maneuver more important than seeing what is directly behind. Like I said, to do that, I simply move my head a bit. Not hard to do--really.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts