Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced mirror vibration on the Vision Tour, either right or left mirror, and how did you fix it? So far I took off the front aluminum fairing panel and tightened the nuts from behind however the problem still persists. The problem is so bad it is hard to see what is coming up from behind. This is on a bike with less than 1k miles on it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Has anyone experienced mirror vibration on the Vision Tour, either right or left mirror, and how did you fix it? So far I took off the front aluminum fairing panel and tightened the nuts from behind however the problem still persists. The problem is so bad it is hard to see what is coming up from behind. This is on a bike with less than 1k miles on it.
I did not tried this myself.... i did find this in an other Forum,,for a vibration problem...

Not that it ruined my day riding, but the right mirror on my Vision would vibrate really bad 2000-3000 RPM, right at cruising speeds, smooth freeways and regular 2-laners. Now, I've had a chopper and both mirrors and handlebars vibrated to beat hell, with no possible fixes because of so much frame and engine vibration.

But I had an idea I used to employ to resolve vibration issues when I was an automobile manufacturer's technical rep, and I tried it on the mirror vibration problem on my Vision and it worked!

Vibration is harmonic, influenced by mass/density and frequency. Your goal, change one of the variables. The only option is to change the density.

I stopped by my local custom wheel dealer and mooched a strip of adhesive wheel balancing weight 3oz.

I cut in into 3 pieces, 1oz each. Removed the mirror, stuck the weights on the back of the mirror and reinstalled it.

I took it for a ride. No vibration at any speed. No interference in the mirror adjustment cause there's plenty of room behind the mirror.

The left mirror has never vibrated, but if it did, I am confident this would work there also. Give it a try if yours is vibrating. No harm, eh?

P.S.

Mirrors are accessed from behind. First lift off the brushed aluminum inspection panel (V shaped above the headlight) and pull it toward your face. Dont pull far, becuase the antenna is attached to the back of it.

Then you'll see the mirrors ara attached from behind. One by a screw 6mm Allen and the other is lower 10mm hex head bolt. When you remove them, don't let the mirror fall. I take out the 10mm first then use a 6mm allen to remove the mirror while holding it. At first, getting to the 10mm seems hard, but once you do it a few times, it's easy.

Hope this Helps

·
Registered
8 Posts
thanks for the technical on removing the front panel .. i'm a new owner and my left mirror shakes, rattles and rolls thru the first 3 gears so bad you can see anything. The dealer wanted 2 days to fix it. I ain't given up my machine for two days when I got a forum to discover! Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a '08 vision, no issues with the mirrors however, my wife has a'10 vision and the right mirror would not adjust down enough for her to see behind her. I removed the mirror and found it was catching on a little plastic casting bump, after cleaning it off and getting the mirror to move the full range of adjustment it seemed a little loose and it shakes at crusing speed. So long story short, having it replaced by the dealer under warrantee. I don't know how a dealer can say give up your bike for 2 days.....my dealer said they would order the mirror and have it in a couple of days, just swing by and we'll swap it out for you 5-10 minute job.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I thought the stock mirrors gave a great view - of my hands and shoulders. They are too far away and not very adjustable. I took them off and installed handlebar mounted mirrors. 'Much better look and function.

What a beautiful bike!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Shaking mirrors

Thank you about the bike.

But you should seriously, consider putting mirrors on the handlebars. They are a lot more functional there and aren't subject to the fairing's vibrations.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Old thread but I am experiencing this on my left Mirror on my 13. I I am getting the Stage 1 exhaust added next week so when I go to the dealer I will see what they say, but if that they can't fix it I have a avenue to try.

·
13,318 Posts
I didn't read what every one said.
I tuck some foam the kind thats used in packing. You know you squeeze it and it pops back to its shape. I put some behind each mirror and no move vibration.
But the way there is a silver allen bolt on top that holds mirror in place to.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I didn't read what every one said.
I tuck some foam the kind thats used in packing. You know you squeeze it and it pops back to its shape. I put some behind each mirror and no move vibration.
But the way there is a silver allen bolt on top that holds mirror in place to.
Yea that is what I did I had some packing foam in my garage. That worked great. I thought my right mirror was fine, but after using the foam on my left and stopping the vibration and seeing how clear it is now. I now see I will need to throw some behind the right.

·
Registered
8 Posts
mirror vibration.

Yeah.. I had the very same thing going on when I first purchased my 09 vision. My dealer seemed to fix the problem fairly easily. I've had the mirrors off when I upgraded the front speakers. I think it's just a matter of really cranking down on the adjustment screws. Have not noticed any vibration again.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
So I told the dealer and they called their Tech rep. His response was it's a V-Twin it vibrates. :rolleyes:

I explained to them that I had read on the forums that some had fixed the problem by just tightening the mirrors. I told them this when I dropped it off. Since the Victory rep told them there was nothing to be done that is exactly what they did. I then had the manager come out showed him my fix of sticking foam behind them and he took pictures and said he would show the pics to his Vic rep and get back to me, I am waiting with bated breath.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Mirrors are fixed-

Soon as I left the dealership, my right mirror was rock solid, but the left mirror was just a vibrating blur...and they would not move.

Here's what I did:
Remove the top windshield panel-it's held by two rubber grommets above each mirror area (2 on each side), disconnect the antenna wire, and pull it up from the metal tabs on bottom.

The mirror assembly is held with an allen head bolt on top and a metric head bolt in the rear. Here was my problem-the metric head tapered bolt is too long, even if I got it tight-it still was not enough.

I removed the mirror assembly and sprayed some Teflon wax lube on the mirror ball (it only moves right/left). The mirrors seemed frozen to the ball until the lube worked in.

I placed a lock washer between 2 flat washers on the metric head bolt when I replaced the mirror assembly (or you could use smaller bolts).

On today's ride, both mirrors are solid and able to adjust. I'm no mechanic, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once.:D

·
Registered
539 Posts
I was finally able to take apart the front fairing and tighten up the mirrors and it fixed the problem. The mirror still vibrates a bit and I may take it apart again at a later date and try to shore it up a bit more. I am happy for now, however, no more foam sticking out from my mirror.

Kind of pissed my dealership didn't just do as I asked and tighten it. I mean it took all of 10 minutes.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I thought the stock mirrors gave a great view - of my hands and shoulders. They are too far away and not very adjustable. I took them off and installed handlebar mounted mirrors. 'Much better look and function.

I am experimenting with a rear view camera system to see directly behind me.

Take a gander...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j566Yydc8_M
Tried looking at your link and it says it is no longer available. Sure would like to see what you have done.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.