Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Ness Jackpot and tried to start the bike today after riding last weekend and it will barely idle and will not take any acceleration. It pops and backfires and then stalls. I checked the plugs and they are dry black carbon covered. Replaced plugs with no improvement. I filled the tank during my ride and then rode 70 miles with no problems. Could I have gotten bad gas or something else? There has not been any problems with the bike before this.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Hi jhughes,

That sound like trouble..:mad:.. better you empty the fuel tank as it could be that there is some 'water" or "dirt" like you say? then try again, thumb up

But if there is a Victory shop near by why not stop at them?? thumb up

·
Registered
129 Posts
It does sound as if it is fuel delivery issues.

The battery terminals and voltage across the 40 amp Ckt breaker is always worth checking. Many people replace the 40 amp Circuit breaker with a BUSS automotive design, made with a metal case, seems better, stronger. Follow the positive lead from the battery to find it. Sort of in behind the battery on my 04 Kingpin.

I hope it is only the filters, but check delivery pressure and flow as well.
If I had a bad pump, I would ship it to Rylan at the Vic Shop for rebuild. It would be worth the gamble that it was rebuildable, especially if the motor still runs. And I figured you would mention if you did not hear the fuel pump prime any more.

·
13,188 Posts
#1 how old is your battery. If it new with in the last 3 years battery could be good.
#2 If battery cables are tight then there good.

You said you pulled the plugs and there dry. You have bad fuel pump.

Call Rylan at the Vic shop he can rebuild it. He can even tell you how to check the pump. You should have 50psi

[email protected]

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can hear the fuel pump prime when I engage the ignition. I will check the electrical connections, fuel filter and replace the gas as a possible cause.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I found that fuel pressure video informative but do you also have the ability to repair a fuel pump for the 106/6 engine? In the video it looks like you are strictly ready to rebuild the 100 ci engine fuel pumps and not the more modern ones.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Rylan for the video. Question, if the spark plugs are dry carbon covered how does that relate to a fuel pump not operating properly? Could not enough gas carbon foul the plugs?

·
13,188 Posts
If you crank the motor over it should put fuel in the cylinder and if it doesn't fire the plugs should get wet. If they don't get wet there not get fuel.

Rylan can rebuild most all pumps except the vision 08 its a bastard year

·
Registered
403 Posts
I found that fuel pressure video informative but do you also have the ability to repair a fuel pump for the 106/6 engine? In the video it looks like you are strictly ready to rebuild the 100 ci engine fuel pumps and not the more modern ones.
I offer rebuilding for 2002-2008 model year bikes (except 2008 Vision) because they are so problematic. As soon as I get a flood of interest in the 2009+ stuff then I'll look into it, but so far they are holding up well from what I can see.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Thanks Rylan for the video. Question, if the spark plugs are dry carbon covered how does that relate to a fuel pump not operating properly? Could not enough gas carbon foul the plugs?
If your plugs are black carbon covered the bike is way too rich. If tan, they are good. if white it is lean. There are several variables, but it sounds as you have other problems brewing. It could have been the fuel pump stoking it heavy when getting ready to go out, but worth looking in to when you get it back together. http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-j0zzs4Ml8NE/TgNu2KPVUAI/AAAAAAAACt8/Z--jY0NwoDs/s1600/Spark+Plug+Reading.jpg
Good luck on the fuel pump.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
My 07 vegas with stage one always showed black plugs, my 12 xc was the same till i put the pcv on and leaned it out.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
13,188 Posts
Most if not all the photos you find on the net of spark plugs are from back in the day when there was lead in the gas. If you pull spark plugs on your car you'll see there very light in color cause of the **** gas.
If you have black spark plugs it could be cause your leaving the chock on to long or even doing some riding with the chock on.
Don't pay any attention to the color of the threads on the spark plug thats not the importune part.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Rylan rebuilt the fuel pump and it is now putting out 50 lbs. but the original problem is still there. It will not start and will only pop when turning over. I pulled the plugs and they are now wet with gas. I checked for spark and both cyliners are getting fire. Suggestions ???

·
Registered
129 Posts
If it were my bike, I would probably replace the 40 amp circuit breaker with a BUSS model from NAPA. This has caused many problems on many bikes, so I would not consider it wasted money and effort even if it did not fix this problem.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts