Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This happens from time to time, fresh oil or old. Sometimes my bike wont go into 2nd from 1st. I have about 4600 miles on the bike. I tried doing a search but , hey you know how that goes here lol

Any thoughts ?

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
This happens from time to time, fresh oil or old. Sometimes my bike wont go into 2nd from 1st. I have about 4600 miles on the bike. I tried doing a search but , hey you know how that goes here lol

Any thoughts ?
1.) Adjust clutch cable in the morning, over a cup of coffee (or whenever the bike is cold).
2.) Inspect, clean and lubricate shifter rod joints.
3.) If the above steps do not solve the problem, you might have slightly bent the shift forks.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, when adjusting the clutch. Should the cable housing be firm in place at the lever? I haven't taken a look at the shift linkage. Are the ball and sockets, pop off and grease?

Thanx

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
Adjust clutch cable per owners manual, as follows:

1. Remove the right side cover.
2. Hold cable (1) and loosen the adjuster lock nut (2).
3. Turn cable adjuster (3) while holding cable.
4. Turn the cable adjuster in or out until the clutch lever freeplay (4) is 0.5-1.5mm.
5. Tighten the adjuster lock nut securely while holding cable.
6. Reinstall right side cover.
7. Verify that the safety switch activates so the motorcycle cannot be started in gear with clutch lever released.

kp1.jpg
kp2.jpg

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx, my cable up at the lever is for the lack of better word sloppy. The cable housing moves in and out.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
Thanx, my cable up at the lever is for the lack of better word sloppy. The cable housing moves in and out.
That could be the culprit.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So it shoud be snug in there i guess. Ok guess car to work and play with cable after then. Thanx

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
So it shoud be snug in there i guess. Ok guess car to work and play with cable after then. Thanx
I'm not crazy about this system. There seems to be no way of getting the clutch to engage in the middle of the lever travel without putting a lot of slop in it with the lever disengaged.

New, mine wouldn't engage until near the end of the lever travel and it is very hard to modulate it way out there without hands the size of Michael Jordan's. But you will definitely get the best clutch plate separation with it adjusted out like that.

I've never had a problem getting the bike to go into a gear, but I have had several late model Victories pop out of 2nd, especially when accelerating briskly. This always seems to happen on the bikes with floorboards and I think it's because there just isn't sufficient leverage to pop it up into gear hard enough. When I use the heel shifter, I don't seem to have the problem.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well clutch free play was 6mm the cable housing isnt tight in there

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And i just reread this and think i have it set right enough about 2mm. If im measuring right .

·
Registered
784 Posts
Not a solution, but every bike I have ever had will miss 2nd from 1st from time to time. Usually because I short stroke it, but not always. It is a long throw and clutch or not, a lot of things have to line up. Don't cram it into gear and make sure your shifter is set right for you. If it isn't reproducable and you have your cluth adjusted right, it may just be what it is. Get it checke by a competent wrench if you are that concerned.
Be very carefull not to tighten the cable too much. Good is good enough, it would be worse to have tension in the clutch, it will wear out faster.
Good Luck

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not a solution, but every bike I have ever had will miss 2nd from 1st from time to time. Usually because I short stroke it, but not always. It is a long throw and clutch or not, a lot of things have to line up. Don't cram it into gear and make sure your shifter is set right for you. If it isn't reproducable and you have your cluth adjusted right, it may just be what it is. Get it checke by a competent wrench if you are that concerned.
Be very carefull not to tighten the cable too much. Good is good enough, it would be worse to have tension in the clutch, it will wear out faster.
Good Luck
I hear ya, thats why I stopped at 2mm roughly. It feels strong and solid now. I have admit I shet a pickle when I removed the cable ends to clean and grease and the barrel dropped out of the lever end.

I went onto the shift linkage and the ends I dont think they get grease. The pivot was and is a bitch to grease stupid c-clip, couldnt get it off. But the bolt where the linkage joins to the trans was out of torque. Thought I was going to snap it getting to 9.5ft-lbs.

We'll see how the ride to work tomorrow goes. And come to think of it the misshift was using the heel shift not toe, I might have not giving it a solid shift to start but it happens a couple times.

Oh, the safety switch on the clutch lever is that adjustable? I have to totally bring the lever to the grip to here the click

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

1 - 13 of 13 Posts