Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anyone has any feedback about using two different brand tires on their Vic. I have the OEM replacement dunlop 250 rear and was going to try a bridgestone on the front as the oem dunlop front had cupping issues. I don't expect it to be a problem but thought I'd askcheers

·
Registered
545 Posts
Mismatched tires aren't that big of an issue for most riders... that said there are instances when the front tire is specifically designed to be run in tandem with the rear tire and vice versa. If you do a lot of touring and ride in all types of weather it is a good idea to match up the front and rear... if you are a weekend rider or around town on nice weather days it doesn't really matter what tires you have.

·
Registered
396 Posts
should be no problem,
i replaced the front tire on my j-pot (oem dunlop)
with a metzler while running a dunlop on the rear
until i scrape up enough money to buy a metzler
for the rear.
by the way thats a good looking bike you got there!
(2007 was a great year for victory).thumb up

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
Aside from high speed wobbles, you will be alright.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Aside from high speed wobbles, you will be alright.
I would think if properly balanced you wouldn't get high speed wobble unless it's literally the worst tire ever manufactured.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
I would think if properly balanced you wouldn't get high speed wobble unless it's literally the worst tire ever manufactured.
Different tires have different rubber compound, which changes its grip characteristics at different temperatures. You could have a front tire that grips more at certain speeds/temperatures, and less at others, while the rear tire would do the same but the grip would change at different speed/temp. So you could have a perfectly balanced ride until you hit a certain speed. All this gets even more apparent if you mix radials and bias tires.

However, as HandyHoward said:
... if you are a weekend rider or around town on nice weather days it doesn't really matter what tires you have.
I can't help but agree with that statement. Therefore, your results will vary.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Different tires have different rubber compound, which changes its grip characteristics at different temperatures. You could have a front tire that grips more at certain speeds/temperatures, and less at others, while the rear tire would do the same but the grip would change at different speed/temp. So you could have a perfectly balanced ride until you hit a certain speed. All this gets even more apparent if you mix radials and bias tires.
You better talk to Vics engineers if you believe this to be true as they mix bias with radials straight out of the factory as does HD.

Personally, I've never mixed a bias with a radial, but I've mixed radials many tens of times and it has never caused any problems for me.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
You better talk to Vics engineers if you believe this to be true as they mix bias with radials straight out of the factory as does HD.

Personally, I've never mixed a bias with a radial, but I've mixed radials many tens of times and it has never caused any problems for me.
Which Victory models come with bias and radial tires?

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Which Victory models come with bias and radial tires?
Hardball
Front:
130/70 B18 Dunlop 491 Elite II with Red Tire Strip
Rear:
180/60 R16 Dunlop Elite 3 with Red Tire Strip

Jackpot
Front:
90/90 21 Dunlop Elite 3
http://www.motosport.com/cruiser/DUNLOP-ELITE-3-BIAS-TOURING-FRONT-TIRE-909021

Rear:
250/40R18 Dunlop Elite 3
http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/dunlop-elite-3-radial-25040r18-rear-custom-tire/part/DUN-408099

There may be others, but those came to mind.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
Hardball
Front:
130/70 B18 Dunlop 491 Elite II with Red Tire Strip
Rear:
180/60 R16 Dunlop Elite 3 with Red Tire Strip

Jackpot
Front:
90/90 21 Dunlop Elite 3
http://www.motosport.com/cruiser/DUNLOP-ELITE-3-BIAS-TOURING-FRONT-TIRE-909021

Rear:
250/40R18 Dunlop Elite 3
http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/dunlop-elite-3-radial-25040r18-rear-custom-tire/part/DUN-408099

There may be others, but those came to mind.
Just because someone's selling them, it doesn't mean they come like that from the factory. And the Hardball is a well documented typo in the specs Victory released.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Just because someone's selling them
I linked sellers so that you could verify the type of tires they were. Those are the tires listed on the Vic website.

, it doesn't mean they come like that from the factory. And the Hardball is a well documented typo in the specs Victory released.
What is the typo? They listed the same tires for both LE and Hardball. A double typo?

You can look at the pictures for the bikes yourself. The front most definitely has an old school bias ply tread (ala Kingpin) and the rear is just like the E3 on our XRs.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
...You can look at the pictures for the bikes yourself. The front most definitely has an old school bias ply tread and the rear is just like the E3 on our XRs.
Then maybe they've designed the HB and LE for low speed cruising only. :ltr:

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Then maybe they've designed the HB and LE for low speed cruising only. :ltr:
I've made the same assessment myself. I'm not sure I'd feel confident pushing them.

From what I've read, radials run cooler and can run stickier rubber without it degrading as fast. According to the accounts I've read, bias plys normally last a long time so the rubber must not be great on them.
I took a friends PC800 out once to help him diagnose a front end problem and when I hit the front brake the front bias ply skidded and scared the bejesus out of me. I could brake far harder on any of my radial shod bikes without inducing such behavior.

Supposedly, it's worse to put a radial on the front and a bias on the rear, but to me that doesn't make sense. A bike is far easier to control with the rear spinning that the front slipping. It seems to me you could plow a bias ply front right off the side of a mountain when it's being pushed by a sticky radial rear.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the input/comments cheers

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm going to go against the grain here. I find the cost of a tire to be a non issue when it comes to proper performance and safety of my bike. I ride hard and run through tires quicker than most so I have never and will not mix tires. $200 is a small price to pay for a piece of mind. Not that there is not a lot of experience and good information here but I would defer to a tire expert on this one. A few years back I talked to a tire engineer from Michelin who could not emphasize enough on how much this increases you odds of having a problem.

Now that being said, if you are a boulevard cruiser I doubt you would encounter any issues.

·
Registered
61 Posts
should be no problem,
i replaced the front tire on my j-pot (oem dunlop)
with a metzler while running a dunlop on the rear
until i scrape up enough money to buy a metzler
for the rear.
by the way thats a good looking bike you got there!
(2007 was a great year for victory).thumb up
I did the same thing for 1000 miles, didn't have any issues. Just got the Metzeler on the rear (to match the Metz on the front).... and whoa, what a difference. don't wait- get the new tire- it handles SO much better. completely different bike now. that's not because of matched tires... it's just because the Metz 260 has a more cupped profile.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I remember a past post where kevinx had stated that under no circumstances should you run a radial front and bias rear tires. I noted it in my manual and took his word on it. It was also mentioned that the dunlop D408 tire was a good fit for front tire.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I remember a past post where kevinx had stated that under no circumstances should you run a radial front and bias rear tires. I noted it in my manual and took his word on it. It was also mentioned that the dunlop D408 tire was a good fit for front tire.
Do you recall his reasoning?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Ya know saddlebag I don't recall his reasoning but I am sure it centered on handling. I hope he could chime in on this but I just recall the post and I noted it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm fixing to have to buy new tires for my TC it's proving difficult to match a 130/90-16 front with a 160/80-16 rear. I don't ride many curvy roads here where I live so I only wear out the middle of the tire.

I was thinking I could save some change going with Shinko's, I'm not planning on riding the dragon in the next 10,000 miles so I'm thinking they will serve. The only problem is they have the front in a sires and the rear in another so looks like I'll have to run miss matched front and rear unless someone on the forum stops me from making a mistake. Any one have experience with mixing shinko series tires? Thanks for any advice.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts