Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed my oil last night to Mobil 1, What a difference !!! Smoother shifting and much quieter operation. Anyone else switched to Mobil 1 ? What was your experience?

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Oil! We've got oil!

Woo hoo! Finally an oil thread. dance 1

Btw, what are you using for coolant?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Now Now, be nice!!! ;)

Psst, Ben...I'll let you in on a little secret just between you, me, and cross. Normally I wouldn't say anything but seeing that you're from right up the road from where I was born (Danville, PA) I figure I'd help you out.

Victories are Air and Oil Cooled :D
Yea, I know. I've had a few beers tonight, I edited my post:crzy: But I do like CrossRoads' Avatar. Sorry about the So. Cal. Thing though.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, Now that the comedians have had their say, Does anyone have any experience whth this oil? There aren't a lot of choices for 20w50:confused:

·
Registered
851 Posts
CrossRoad's post was because we have had SEVERAL oil threads including Mobil specifically. That is what the "search" button above is for ;)
I put Mobil Oil in the advanced search page and HERE are the results.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CrossRoad's post was because we have had SEVERAL oil threads including Mobil specifically. That is what the "search" button above is for ;)
I put Mobil Oil in the advanced search page and HERE are the results.
Thanks for the link, Sorry to clog up the Board :cool:

·
Premium Member
13,061 Posts
Thanks for the link, Sorry to clog up the Board :cool:
No worries. Give it a try and let us know what you find. I'm curious too.

I wonder what would happen if someone used 2 parts Mobile 1 V-Twin oil and 3 parts Valvoline V-Twin oil. Both are available at Walmart are correctly rated and, obviously, made for motorcycles with wet clutches.

Btw; lots of people are using Rottella full synth mixed with Rotella dino oil. Some are using the Rotella semi-synth straight up; but I think it only comes in 10-30 wt at Wally World. A bit too low for warm weather climes which is why folks are mixing the synth and dino - to get the correct wt.

·
Registered
124 Posts
For what it's worth. Tried the M1 and it really quieted things down. But the clutch did slip. Now I was hammering it pretty hard, but it never slipped on Vic oil through the same road.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
I've always used Amsoil in my Suzuki's but I heard that It causes clutch slippage in the Vics so I stayed away.
I believe that the threads relating to clutch slippage were in reference to using 100% pure synthetic oil. not just Amsoil. SO you might find out by latter comments to this thread, that you may start seeing clutch slippage usin a pure synthetic oil even though its not Amsoil. I myself use Amsoil in my 2011 X/C since my first 500 mile service and getting ready to change it for the 3rd time with Amsoil. Never suffered any clutch slippage yet nor do I expect to. I put the Bike and the Oil through some extreme conditions going to and from Sturgis loaded, sometimes 2 up, getting HARD on the throttle at times through traffic, and stop and go traffic in a Denver traffic jam for over an hour with temps around 100 degrees, and one day with Temps over 115 degrees going through Western Tx. Both Bike and oil held up excellent. Most of all I developed a higher degree of confidence in the Bike and motor after all I put it through.
Your's is not the first comment about what you noticed with going to straight synthetic, enjoy your Vic. thumb up

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I believe that the threads relating to clutch slippage were in reference to using 100% pure synthetic oil. not just Amsoil. SO you might find out by latter comments to this thread, that you may start seeing clutch slippage usin a pure synthetic oil even though its not Amsoil. I myself use Amsoil in my 2011 X/C since my first 500 mile service and getting ready to change it for the 3rd time with Amsoil. Never suffered any clutch slippage yet nor do I expect to. I put the Bike and the Oil through some extreme conditions going to and from Sturgis loaded, sometimes 2 up, getting HARD on the throttle at times through traffic, and stop and go traffic in a Denver traffic jam for over an hour with temps around 100 degrees, and one day with Temps over 115 degrees going through Western Tx. Both Bike and oil held up excellent. Most of all I developed a higher degree of confidence in the Bike and motor after all I put it through.
Your's is not the first comment about what you noticed with going to straight synthetic, enjoy your Vic. thumb up
I've used car oils in bikes for decades and never had a clutch slip. Used dino, semi-synth, synth, motorcycle, car, they all work fine. Supposedly, auto oil with "friction modifiers" are the culprit, but I've never run across any such thing in any car oil I've used in a bike. Of course there was an 8 year stretch in there that I ran dry clutch Ducs.

MCN did a big test years ago on this and found that chemically, the only major difference between auto and bike specific oil is the level of zinc. According to the article, zinc is a chemical that can be used as the last level of defense in a hot, high revving application. But since we are on slow revving cruisers and likely not revving them full bore as is done with sport bikes on a race track, the extra zinc and double price is probably overkill.

The parts guy at the Vic shop made a stink about not using car oil in the Vics. Not sure if their clutches have actually proven more susceptible to slip or if he is just passing on old wives tales, but that's what he said.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Changed my oil last night to Mobil 1, What a difference !!! Smoother shifting and much quieter operation. Anyone else switched to Mobil 1 ? What was your experience?
BB, you have now completely voided your warranty, your clutch will start slipping soon, and all Amsoil users will depise you.:D:D

Other than that, you will have a great experience.

Btw, did you use Mobil motorcyxle specific or car? If car oil, my 2nd paragraph is retracted.cheers

1 - 15 of 15 Posts