Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks and 2K miles ago I switched from Vic oil to Mobile 1 10W 40 full synthetic and while I've not experienced any clutch slippage, the bike is running hotter than it ever has. I've ridden in as hot or hotter weather prior to the change. I've experimented with the lower fairing opening. I'm now even feeling heat from under the seat whereas before it was just engine heat on the lower legs. Previously when under way, very little heat was noticeable but such is no longer the case. I almost went with Rotella but thought I'd give this stuff a try. It won't be going in again at the next change.

·
Premium Member
13,006 Posts
This is because pure synthetic doesn't dissipate heat the way regular dino oil does. I'm fairly sure this is why Victory recommends a blend. That way there is the benefits of both types.

It's also why Harley, with their hot running motors, don't recommend pure synth although lots of people run it. Probably fine in the cooler months. Not so much during the Summer.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
This is because pure synthetic doesn't dissipate heat the way regular dino oil does. I'm fairly sure this is why Victory recommends a blend. That way there is the benefits of both types.

It's also why Harley, with their hot running motors, don't recommend pure synth although lots of people run it. Probably fine in the cooler months. Not so much during the Summer.
Thank you BBob, that is good information !

·
12,972 Posts
Did you run Mobil 1 for motorcycles or did you use Mobil 1 that is for cars?

You can search the net and find that Syn oil will give your motor less heat and longer life it doesn't break down like normal oil.

With out measuring device you can't tell if the bike is running hotter by the seat of your pants. Keep in mind the temp of the days has a lot to do with what heat your feeling.

All so your sitting on a engine that parodies heat what do you expect from it? cold air

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you run Mobil 1 for motorcycles or did you use Mobil 1 that is for cars?

You can search the net and find that Syn oil will give your motor less heat and longer life it doesn't break down like normal oil.

With out measuring device you can't tell if the bike is running hotter by the seat of your pants. Keep in mind the temp of the days has a lot to do with what heat your feeling.

All so your sitting on a engine that parodies heat what do you expect from it? cold air
The oil I used is a motorcycle oil. By the seat of my pants is exactly how I will determine if my bike is running hotter. We are not talking about power. My complaint isn't that the 106 c.i. engine under me produces heat (that's expected), it's that the amount of heat being produced (felt) has increased with the oil I'm currently using. At 76 degrees this morning, I felt more heat than I used to at temps a good 10 degrees warmer. This past weekend while riding in mid 80's I felt more heat than in the past when it was in the mid 90's. Sitting still and getting the amount of heat I am would be one thing but to continue to feel the same amount when at highway speeds is something new. And I have tried the fairing flaps in several positions with no positive effect.

Maybe going back to a synthetic blend will be better, I'll find out eventually.

·
Registered
470 Posts

·
12,972 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Oil selection is more of an art than a science. :) Each machine is different as are riders and envrionments. Now, I don't have a Victory yet, but on the ST that I ride, there are many that swear synthetic is the devil. I've been using it for years (car blends at that) with no problems. However, I tend to put faith into people's observations. I'd say if you're feeling more heat, than that sythetic for you in your envrionment IS running hotter. However, it may be different for different machines (even with the same bike) in different places with different riders.

Many people swear by Rotella. It's pretty cheap out here being in a farm community and I may give it a whirl. Of course switching oils I've heard can cause problems too. So, maybe I'd be causing more problems than anything else.

Thinking outside the box, if your engine is warmer do you think the 10w40 is actually carrying more heat out of your engine or not transferring enough?

It's probably my only trepidation still left on Victory is the lack of liquid cooling. (I'm pro water cooling :) ). My wife's XL was quite toasty during the summer.

·
Registered
511 Posts

Are you sure about synthetic not dissipating heat better than dino oil does?

http://www.aircooled.net/synthetic-vw-oil/

"Since synthetic oil has better heat transfer qualities than dino oil, your internal engine temperatures will be lower. Things like bearings, especially, will not operate at as high of a temperature as a result. The wider range of temperatures that synthetic oil can withstand is well suited for the air-cooled VW engine. With head temperatures normally between 300-350 degrees, synthetic will not breakdown while lubricating the valve train components at the heads. The better lubricating properties of synthetic in general will lead to a longer engine life as well."

http://www.post610.org/truth_about_motorcycle_oils.htm

"The synthetic basestocks that synthetic oils are manufactured from have much higher flash points than

petroleum oils typically do. In layman's terms, the flash point of an oil is the point at which it begins to

vaporize. The higher this flash point, the better the oil will hold up in high temperature environments.

In addition, because synthetic oils are made up of particles of uniform size, they have less "internal

friction" than petroleum oils (which are made up of particles varying greatly in size). This lowers the

temperature of the oil, thus improving the cooling qualities of the oil. Of course, the end result is cooler

engine temperatures.

Secondarily, synthetic oils do not cause the "blanket effect" that petroleum oils do. Because petroleum

oils are made up of particles of varying sizes, the smaller particles tend to flow freely through the center

of the oil galleries within your engine while the larger sized particles will be pushed to the "outside" of

the oil stream - next to engine components. These large particles, for the most part, remain there and

do not distribute heat from engine components back to the oil.

The uniform particles within a synthetic oil will all flow just as easily through oil galleries. Larger

particles are not present to "blanket" engine component surfaces. Therefore, heat is distributed into the

oil and carried away.

The end result is that a good quality synthetic oil can lower engine temperatures by as much as 20 to

50 degrees F. That can significantly extend the life of critical engine components. In addition, less

stress is put on the oil, which extends its useful life as well."

·
Registered
608 Posts
A few weeks and 2K miles ago I switched from Vic oil to Mobile 1 10W 40 full synthetic and while I've not experienced any clutch slippage, the bike is running hotter than it ever has. I've ridden in as hot or hotter weather prior to the change. I've experimented with the lower fairing opening. I'm now even feeling heat from under the seat whereas before it was just engine heat on the lower legs. Previously when under way, very little heat was noticeable but such is no longer the case. I almost went with Rotella but thought I'd give this stuff a try. It won't be going in again at the next change.
I have the victory oil temp gauge and I swear there is a difference in temp between different oils , Lucas , Ams ,Vic, the gauge says no difference.
What I can tell you is that on my XCT opening the lower vents causes the motor to run much hotter as much as 30 deg. It also blows very hot air on your legs when you open the lowers.

·
Premium Member
13,006 Posts
Are you sure about synthetic not dissipating heat better than dino oil does?

http://www.aircooled.net/synthetic-vw-oil/

"Since synthetic oil has better heat transfer qualities than dino oil, your internal engine temperatures will be lower. Things like bearings, especially, will not operate at as high of a temperature as a result. The wider range of temperatures that synthetic oil can withstand is well suited for the air-cooled VW engine. With head temperatures normally between 300-350 degrees, synthetic will not breakdown while lubricating the valve train components at the heads. The better lubricating properties of synthetic in general will lead to a longer engine life as well."

http://www.post610.org/truth_about_motorcycle_oils.htm

"The synthetic basestocks that synthetic oils are manufactured from have much higher flash points than

petroleum oils typically do. In layman's terms, the flash point of an oil is the point at which it begins to

vaporize. The higher this flash point, the better the oil will hold up in high temperature environments.

In addition, because synthetic oils are made up of particles of uniform size, they have less "internal

friction" than petroleum oils (which are made up of particles varying greatly in size). This lowers the

temperature of the oil, thus improving the cooling qualities of the oil. Of course, the end result is cooler

engine temperatures.

Secondarily, synthetic oils do not cause the "blanket effect" that petroleum oils do. Because petroleum

oils are made up of particles of varying sizes, the smaller particles tend to flow freely through the center

of the oil galleries within your engine while the larger sized particles will be pushed to the "outside" of

the oil stream - next to engine components. These large particles, for the most part, remain there and

do not distribute heat from engine components back to the oil.

The uniform particles within a synthetic oil will all flow just as easily through oil galleries. Larger

particles are not present to "blanket" engine component surfaces. Therefore, heat is distributed into the

oil and carried away.

The end result is that a good quality synthetic oil can lower engine temperatures by as much as 20 to

50 degrees F. That can significantly extend the life of critical engine components. In addition, less

stress is put on the oil, which extends its useful life as well."
Much of that article reads like an Amsoil ad. Not knocking Amsoil. I like it just fine. I'm just cynical when it comes to opinions that read like the info came from an oil maker.

It's my understanding dino oil transfers heat better but synth oil can withstand higher heat. Hence the blend for air-cooled motorcycles.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Much of that article reads like an Amsoil ad. Not knocking Amsoil. I like it just fine. I'm just cynical when it comes to opinions that read like the info came from an oil maker.

It's my understanding dino oil transfers heat better but synth oil can withstand higher heat. Hence the blend for air-cooled motorcycles.
Which one? they are both two different links and neither one is from Amsoil.

Where did you get this understanding that dino oil transfers heat better then synthetic oil? Please tell me you have more than KevinX said so.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Yup. Syn3 is a blend.
http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/syn3-full-synthetic-motorcycle-lubricant---sae-20w51-pa-12-62600005--1

Harley says it is a full synthetic. According to the spec sheets it is at least 60% full synthetic with that being group 4 synthetic. There are some additives that require petroleum base stock in order for them to mix with the synthetic oil so pretty must all synthetic oil has some petroleum base stock in it for this purpose.

The question is what grade petroleum base stock is used. Redline you can bet used only group 3 base stocks which qualify as synthetic. I suspect Amzoil and Mobil 1 as well.

Clearly Victory did not go with group three base stocks in their oil or they would have labeled it full synthetic as the courts have ruled. So that means Victory branded oil is at best 30% group 3 or group 4 with 70% being no better than group 2 base stocks.

Why would anyone pay synthetic prices for group 2 oil? Victory group 2 synthetic blend oil is way over priced.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I have the victory oil temp gauge and I swear there is a difference in temp between different oils , Lucas , Ams ,Vic, the gauge says no difference.
What I can tell you is that on my XCT opening the lower vents causes the motor to run much hotter as much as 30 deg. It also blows very hot air on your legs when you open the lowers.
How you adjust the lower vents does make a huge difference in how much heat you feel. Open them all the way and you get a blast of hot air all ride long. Open them only two to three inches and you get a nice warm breeze instead.

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
Flash point....

Mobil 1 oil will not burn. I held a propane lighter to a puddle of Mobil 1 for several minutes. It did eventually bubble a little, but no flame at all. You could put out a fire with it.

Just sayin'

Most of what ya hear about synthetics is myth. You can't compare the primary and trans oil change intervals on a Harley with the all-in-one-hole reservoir on a Victory either. Even if a manufacturer said I could run the oil for 20K miles... I wouldn't. Oil is cheaper than pistons and bearings...

·
Registered
608 Posts
How you adjust the lower vents does make a huge difference in how much heat you feel. Open them all the way and you get a blast of hot air all ride long. Open them only two to three inches and you get a nice warm breeze instead.
I noticed that also. I think the engine runs hotter with the lowers open because when they are closed it must force more air through the oil cooler. And when there open its easier for the air flow to come around the motor pulling heat from the motor fins more than through the cooler.

Also I agree just what are we paying for with Vic oil. How much is really synthetic. What base oil stock are they using. If they can't put that info on the label I am skeptical of what is in the bottle.

That being said I have run Vic, Ams,Lucas oil and the only oil that made a HUGE difference in the tranny was Ams 20-50 . But around hear they want 20.00 a quart ouch.... I can get a discount from a local dealer but then pay a big shipping cost .... Can't win....

·
Premium Member
13,006 Posts
Which one? they are both two different links and neither one is from Amsoil.

Where did you get this understanding that dino oil transfers heat better then synthetic oil? Please tell me you have more than KevinX said so.
Yes. As a matter of fact Kevin did say so and I have a lot of respect for his knowledge but I really haven't seen anything to convince me otherwise.

A better way to say this is the Victory engine transfers heat better with a dino/synth blend when it is tuned and running well.

This yahoo answers link explains it best out of what I could find right now. I really don't have time to go into another oil debate. If we disagree; so be it.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120205200134AA2v1sm

1 - 20 of 51 Posts