Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed the Kisan front/rear headlight/tail light modulator?? If so, was it worth the install & where did you place the daylight sensor for the headlight?

·
Registered
22 Posts
MeSeaHunt...I've installed both a headlight modulator and a brake lite flasher on my 2010 CR. I used a KRISS (not Kisan) modulator. The Kisan modulator is certainly easy enough to install since it physically mounts right on to the headlight plug itself. The Kriss folks make a big deal about the fact that the Kriss modulator attaches with separate wires so it's not exposed to the heat associated with the headlight itself. The Kriss website has a much better explanation about all this. It's worth reading. The installation is easy and the instructions are accurate. For the record, the Victory CR doesn't like to have a flashing high beam lamp so I wired my modulator to the low beam and its been working fine for 1 year. When I had the modulator connected to the high beam lamp, the high beam indicator in the speedometer also flashed, until it quit flashing altogether. No other operational problems, but my high beam indicator is no more. On the CR, the top comes off the headlight with 4 bolts and VIOLA, you have all the access and wiring exposed for you to work on. There is a wiring bundle that comes right out of the top rear of the headlight and I just ran the daylight sensor through that bundle and let it find daylight up near the top of the handlebars. It works fine. I was going to run the sensor down the fork leg (like I did on previous bikes) but this worked and was a whole lot less work. As far as the brake light flasher is concerned, I used the Signal Dynamics because of good past experiences with their product and the price was terrific. Also, their tech help phone line is tops. Hope this helps you. Watash.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Watash, very good info/input, thank you thumb up

·
Registered
91 Posts
Has anyone installed the Kisan front/rear headlight/tail light modulator?? If so, was it worth the install & where did you place the daylight sensor for the headlight?
I have the Kisan that mounts inside the headlight bucket and chose it after researching all the major ones out there - all have pros & cons but I felt this was the best bet for me. If you click on the "search" tab in the brown tool bar above and enter "Famscoot", you'll find a similar thread with some good responses from others who have installed modulators. I threaded the sensor wire up through the throttle and front brake cables and secured it with a small black zip tie. It works like it should and you hardly notice it is there; it doesn't effect the throttle or brake in any way.

Good luck with your search!

thumb up

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dute, did you attach it to the high or low beam? as others have said the Victory does not mesh well w/the high beam side?? Thanks

·
Registered
91 Posts
Dute, did you attach it to the high or low beam? as others have said the Victory does not mesh well w/the high beam side?? Thanks
I attached to the high beam as per the manufacturer's instructions and have had no problem/issue with it impacting anything else.

:cool:

·
Registered
22 Posts

MeSeaHunt,

I just finished installing a dual headlight modulator on my 2011 Vision. I had originally ordered a Kisan (since I've used them on all of my other bikes) but the unit that plugs into the back of each bulb was too wide in diameter for the rubber boots that fit on the back of each headlight assembly.

So I sent it back (waiting on a refund) and I ordered and received a D115H4 duel modulator from them.

http://www.comagination.com/modBulb.htm

Installed with no issues (other than great effort to get the damned OEM electrical plugs off of each H4 bulb initially) and I ran the sensor halfway up front brake line on the handlebar and zip tied it off.

Works very well. Highly recommend headlight modulators. They should be standard equipment on a motorcycle these days....

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
thanks willtill, I will order it tomm, thanks for the info thumb up

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@ willtill, so have you installed the NEW dual plug modulator yet? if yes how is it working and anything special to look for or that you discovered during your install?? Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
The only thing remarkable was the difficulty in getting the OEM electrical connector(s) to release off the back of the H4 bulbs. And the space is limited behind the headlight assembly. Prepare for skinned fingers and hands if you have big meat hooks.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The only thing remarkable was the difficulty in getting the OEM electrical connector(s) to release off the back of the H4 bulbs. And the space is limited behind the headlight assembly. Prepare for skinned fingers and hands if you have big meat hooks.

does your hi beam indicator on the panel flash on & off when the modulator is running??

·
Registered
22 Posts
does your hi beam indicator on the panel flash on & off when the modulator is running??

Negative. Not on my Vision. I HAVE seen the blue hi beam indicator itself; modulate ever so slightly on other bikes... like my VTX 1300 I used to have. I do think that was due to the draw of the Hi beam itself on the electrical system of the bike...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

so are your low & high beam coming on at the same time OR are they alternating flashes?? wac

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so why order the dual plug modulator :confused: that would tell me that there is a plug for each? which in turn would alternate between bulbs, or is it being used as a burn-out back-up?? because you can use your low beam as your flash unit bulb, which some folks do as I guess they have their own reasons??? Seems if in your case you are ONLY using the high beam a single plug would suffice.... wac

·
Registered
22 Posts
so why order the dual plug modulator :confused: that would tell me that there is a plug for each? which in turn would alternate between bulbs, or is it being used as a burn-out back-up?? because you can use your low beam as your flash unit bulb, which some folks do as I guess they have their own reasons??? Seems if in your case you are ONLY using the high beam a single plug would suffice.... wac
Ummm... because the Vision has TWO H4 bulbs. So it NEEDS two plugs.

I'm not trying to be "smart" but... are you smoking dope? I just told you what the Headlight Modulators modulate. It's the high beam.

Please do some research on Kisan and Comagination manufacturers of the Headlight Modulators. They can probably explain it better for you.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ummm... because the Vision has TWO H4 bulbs. So it NEEDS two plugs.

I'm not trying to be "smart" but... are you smoking dope? I just told you what the Headlight Modulators modulate. It's the high beam.

as for the "dope" comment, not yet but I hope to be doing so "daily" in about 5 more years!! thumb up
now its my turn to say "i'm not trying to be a smartie", I have no idea of your bike experience but as I mentioned earlier, YOU CAN hook a modulator to your low beam side, and believe it or not it will function just the same, yes it is brighter on the high beam side and I also agree that, that is the side it SHOULD go to, but as I said earlier those folks have their reason for doing it the opposite way?? Most of these modulators only hook to a single bulb due to it is only ONE bulb that does the high beam work, due to most are a "combo" bulb. As in the case of the Victory, I'm guessing that both will flash together rather than the typical "alternate" pattern, AKA wig-wag. Hence the dual plug. Thanks for your input and ride safe.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts