Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several times when I have gotten caught in the rain I see a little moisture inside the speedometer glass. We are currently on a 10 day road trip and after riding in and out of rain for most of a day (sometimes hard rain) it took all of the next day to clear out the glass. It also looks like the inside of the glass is getting a film and it's not completely clear any more.

Has anyone disassembled the speedo and tried to seal the unit?

Thanks,
Mark

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
361 Posts
This was an issue on the early bikes & one of the reasons they were replaced. My best suggestion is to park it in the sun and let it bake out. I tried to take a spare Vic speedo apart with the thought of doing a custom painted face and there's no taking 'em apart and putting them back together.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info - albeit not good news. My guess is that the water gets in around the edge of the face where the glass meets the chrome rim. Since you've had one apart, do you think silicone sealer around the rim would do any good?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Some clear silicone couldn't hurt. The way these are built to be tamper proof I pretty much destroyed it and I was careful. I do remember hearing someone replacing the micro-lights inside the display. I still have it in my Vic parts bin-let me take a look and see how the glass seals.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for checking. The next few days of our ride look clear but we may hit rain again before we get home. My main concern is that the glass will etch and become permanently foggy on the inside if it gets wet and dries often enough.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I took a closer look at my old project and you can access from a door in the back to change the bulbs and if you look at my spare speedo on the right you can see the piece of material that covers the holes in the bottom of the case, I remember I trashed the metal bezel taking the front glass off trying to get to the faceplate-it's not meant to be removed and looks to be crimped into place with the gasket between it & the glass- I'd be more worried about the electronics than the glass but there's not a hell of a lot you can do.

·
Registered
21 Posts
V92 tc speedometer 2003

I can't believe I spot this thread after I thrash my speedo trying to get the glass off to put the speedo arm back on. It is not meant to come apart and even with careful prying I broke my glass. I could live with no speedo but the indicator kept vibrating into the tach indicator and that prompted a desperate attempt to fix it.:mad: Oh well...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry to hear that, JimmyJ. I have heard no success stories about taking these speedos apart. Hopefully you can find a replacement somewhere.

Back to the moisture subject that got me started. I have determined that it it's not the glass face that is leaking that leads to fogging under the glass. Humidity gets in from the back of the unit. Air flow around the headlight lens traps moisture inside the headlight bucket. Then the moisture enters thru the back of the speedo as the sun heats the bucket and speedo.

·
Registered
545 Posts
The speedo housing can be accessed thru the back if you have the proper toll and some skill at plastic cutting... I carefully cut thru the case towards the base and was able to disassemble the unit from there and dry it out, reseal, and then weld the plastic back together... MUCH MUCH easier to buy a new unit.

·
Registered
537 Posts
You can blow a hair dryer (not heat gun) into the back after removing the cover. Once it's good and dry, place a packet of dessicant from something you've received in the mail, in the back. Then get the liquid silicone in the syringe and squirt it where the chrome bezel meets the glass. The liquid silicone will find leaks better. After it dries, you can trim any excess silicone off the glass with a razor.

·
Registered
70 Posts
silica gel pack for fogging issue

+I read your initial post as a wet condition inside the speedo glass vs. fogging, mh1. To help with fogging, you might want to try a large silica gel pack in the housing window. If it's a true wet condition though, you have a different issue which probably needs to be addressed at the glass.

http://www.roadkillonline.net/imagedb_images/35_5644.JPG
http://www.roadkillonline.net/imagedb_images/35_5645.JPG

See how to get in there in the "victech instrumentation" image album at www.RoadkillOnline.net.

Ride on.
Roadkill

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just saw the several replies. I think I will try the desiccant pack. Not riding much at the moment but I will put it on my winter project list. Spring and summer are the worst offending times. Thanks for the feedback.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts