Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Big trip coming up starting on 9/16, was flying into Salt lake city and then driving north to Glacier national park, but it looks like that might be cancelled because of all the fires going on out there. No real rain fall for almost two months I hear and only at the most a 40% chance in the next two weeks for any type of rain between Hungry horse a West Glacier. Our whole trip revolved around taking the Road to the sun road and now it looks like that the part closed it due to the Spraug fire that took out the hiking lodge and now has spread.

Where are my Montana people that can shine some light on this subject or give me some pointed on where else to go up there in that area.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
3 others and I were going to ride Lolo Pass in Idaho and had to come up with a plan B. We were nearby and when talking to locals, they said the fires were so close to the road that it can be closed off at any moment.
What frosts me is the goddam US Forest disService will not approve the 747 Global Super Tanker that holds more water and retardant than 5 of the next size down water bombers do. Not only does it hold more, it spreads, rather than dumps water, like a heavy rainstorm.
I'm thinking this is a deliberate attempt to prolong the fires, because there is a lot of money to be made fighting them. Think caterers, water trucks, porta potties, suppliers, et al.

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
3 others and I were going to ride Lolo Pass in Idaho and had to come up with a plan B. We were nearby and when talking to locals, they said the fires were so close to the road that it can be closed off at any moment.
What frosts me is the goddam US Forest disService will not approve the 747 Global Super Tanker that holds more water and retardant than 5 of the next size down water bombers do. Not only does it hold more, it spreads, rather than dumps water, like a heavy rainstorm.
I'm thinking this is a deliberate attempt to prolong the fires, because there is a lot of money to be made fighting them. Think caterers, water trucks, porta potties, suppliers, et al.
That whole area there is a tinder box, we have friends that live just 20 mins from the Idaho border in Libby Montana and they are all under a fire warning as well, they said in the 35+ years they have lived there they have never seen it this dry for this long. Don't really wanna change our plans if we don't have to but I'm not about to risk anything with a forest fire. Was suppose to be two full days in Glacier then head south to Yellowstone/Jackson for the rest of the week before we flew back out of Salt lake on the next Saturday. Not ever a lot of it on the national news, the local stuff yea but nothing on the national channels.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
If you have to scrub plans for Glacier NP, there is a lot to do and see in Yellowstone. You can not spend too much time there.

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's kinda what I was thinking, last time we was there we had never been, didn't know the area and was a learning session for us. The only other issue is the person that is going with me is getting over a back injury and does not wanna risk injuring it further and I don't wanna be those people that never get more then 100 yards from the parking lot. I love to hike and get into the further out areas but with a older co pilot that's starting to get less and less likely.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
Yellowstone is not the place for those who don't want to do at least some walking. Are you traveling by bike or car? If by car, have a lot of reading materials along for that person. If by bike, what's he doing on a bike with a back that's that delicate?

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
You are a good son to take your mom traveling like that. Take along reading material and you take photos on your walks to see features. When you get back to the car, show your mom the pics you took. Will that work?
The Lake Hotel has a huge and relaxing lobby with live music in the afternoons and an adjacent dinning room. She might want to spend some time-out there while you hike.
Nearby is the Grand Teton Range that can be enjoyed from a car. The town of Jackson might be entertaining to mom too.
If you haven't done it before, Bear Tooth Pass is great to do in a car too. Try to take that in on your way to Yellowstone. Cooke City, just outside the park, is a neat little town to stay the night before going into Yellowstone. No traffic, so you walk to a restaurant down the middle of the highway and the local dogs lie there too.

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
We have been watching all of that stuff that has been happening, smoke would be a problem for anybody. Locals I have been talking to out there say that it might last all the way till the first snowfall so we are changing our plans.
Have they purchased enough carbon credits for it to be allowed to go on that long? :wink Sorry about your trip. Any ideas of where else you might decide to go?

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Instead of going north, we are going to head east from Salt lake city over to Rocky mountains national park in Colorado then head north from there to Cody Wyoming, I can now go check out the Buffalo bill center of the west and the cody firearms museum, life list event for me, not so much for my mom but its a life list for me so she can tough it out, she always drags me out into the woods or marsh to look for birds so she can pay me back by doing this.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There was a full evac order on glacier the other day so even if we did go up that way they closed the whole place. Rocky Mountain national park will be seen for the very first time to a set of fresh eyes.

·
13,177 Posts
Paulie
maybe you could swing by Sprite Lake Ia. and take a tour of the now indian plant. Its only about 15 miles off the interstate and there is a nice little town there with a good hotel

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Paulie
maybe you could swing by Sprite Lake Ia. and take a tour of the now indian plant. Its only about 15 miles off the interstate and there is a nice little town there with a good hotel
I'm not going to be anywhere near that area, day one is Vernal Utah, Day two and three are going to be Grand lake Colorado, and then rest of the week till Friday is going to be Jackson Wyoming, Friday we head back to Salt lake city then fly back home on Saturday.

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mother nature must have it in for me, First it was the fires out in Glacier then we get to Yellowstone and have to deal with a freak winter blast that dropped over 10 inches of snow on that place....

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
Welcome to the west Paulie, where the toughest job is predicting the weather.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts