Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Welcome to the west Paulie, where the toughest job is predicting the weather.
I just said the same thing in the other post. It has been a very odd year out here for weather. We have all but skipped fall in my area.

·
Registered
426 Posts
There was a full evac order on glacier the other day so even if we did go up that way they closed the whole place. Rocky Mountain national park will be seen for the very first time to a set of fresh eyes.

Any clue how the air quality is affecting the SD region? Was thinking of riding there next week and hoped to go to Montana by Little Big Horn and Devils Tower areas. I heard people from Upper Michigan say they have issues with some of it blowing across.

Last I see is from a few weeks back.

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Any clue how the air quality is affecting the SD region? Was thinking of riding there next week and hoped to go to Montana by Little Big Horn and Devils Tower areas. I heard people from Upper Michigan say they have issues with some of it blowing across.

Last I see is from a few weeks back.
I saw no issues out there, but then again, we only made it as far as old faithful and it was snowing/raining mix. Should have said it was like that in the whole area.

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Story behind this picture......It was just past 6:40 or so in the morning coming out of Grand lake Colorado and was heading though the Arapaho national forest, 15 mins before hand we had almost rear ended a full size bull moose, talk about getting your heart pumping first thing in the morning.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Going to try and make it to Glacier come September 2018, hope its not on fire or snowing again. Same battle plan, fly into Salt lake city and head north till we hit Missoula then carry on to West Glacier, three days there, then book it south to Togwotee for another three days in Yellowstone, and then head back on Sunday.

·
Registered
12,246 Posts
I hope that works out for ya this time Pauie.

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I hope that works out for ya this time Pauie.
Me too. Last time I think we got everything sorted out too early then watched it all fall apart as the D-day got closer, still was a great trip and I had never seen that part of the country before, we went east out of salt lake and ended up in Vernal for the first day then on to Grand Lake Colorado the next day, Rocky mountain national part was in my opinion a hidden gem, lots of stuff and breathtaking views in such a small area. I really wish we had been able to spend the full three days in Yellowstone we had planned on, instead of just four hours. Our last trip in 2015 was a benchmark for what we had hoped for, not a cloud in the sky from Vegas to West Yellowstone the entire time we was out there, temps in the mid 60s-70s. THIS trip around.....highs in the low 30s and snowing from Dubios till we got out of Hoback Wyoming.

·
Registered
12,246 Posts
The east has a lot of nice scenery and gobs of history, but for the spectacular and natural you can't beat the west. Portland is now a crappy place to live on so man levels, but I know of nowhere else that within 1-1/2 hours I can ride/drive to the Pacific Ocean, high desert, volcanoes, mountains, and more. Within minutes, I'm following the mighty Columbia River or the Clackamas River to delightful lunches with snow capped mountain and/or river views. Although I'm located in the center of Portland, in 20 minutes I'm looking at cows. All this makes up for the urban weirdness and what keeps me riding.

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
We thought about The upper northwest but just could not make it happen, if we don't do this trip to Glacier we would just stay home and plan for a Scotland or Ireland trip the following year. Keep trying to get to south Africa but no way we can pull the funds off to do that, nor both of us get enough time off to make it worth while.

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Fly into Spokane Wa and you can be in Glacier in 5 Hours.
We thought about that idea as well, but we could not find any direct flights at that time out of Detroit, problem is that my travel partner is always trying to do stuff on the cheap side of things, like the time out west in 2015 when we flew into vegas and then DROVE to Yellowstone, I will never do that again, I'll spend the extra funds and at least fly into Salt lake city, cuts the drive time more then in half and the view is way better.

I'm trying to get a site off the ground about all my travels/exploits/adventures and I hope to have it up and going soon.

·
Registered
12,246 Posts
Cheap often is not inexpensive.

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Cheap often is not inexpensive.
I wanted to fly into Jackson hole but the other part of the party said no, it was almost 700 bucks round trip for just one of us with one layover in Denver. The plane would barely get to cruise altitude before they would have to come back down again.
It did put us only a hour away from Yellowstone and we was gonna stay at Togwotee mountain lodge, which I highly recommend one of the cabins. The only downside is the cost, they have what you want and they make you pay for it, its not bad but when your in the middle of nowhere and want a beer for dinner its gonna be like 5 bucks a glass. On top of having a basic general store and gas station in the middle of no where your on the front door of shoshone national park and Yellowstone is at the back door. In the winter they do full snowmobile trips into the parks.

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
We stayed in Grand Lake Colorado and found that to be a perfect jump off place for Rocky Mountain national park, we stayed literally at the start of the park, pretty sure you could not get any closer. Starting the day early was the trick, and also being there off season helped a ton. Then normal places where busy at the normal times but we always stayed away from those places, we got over the mountains before breakfast so we stopped in Estes park and had breakfast, then spent till around 2pm just exploring that side of valley. Came back before sundown and had dinner in Grand lake and was out cold by 8pm. Another trick we do is we stay on our time back home, so the two hour difference works out for us. 8am at home means it 6am where we stayed at, we would be up and ready for action while everyone else was out cold from the night before.

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Another place that I thought was a awesome stop off point to recharge was Vernal Utah, that place has so much stuff going on for such a smaller town that we ended up making a trip back to it after getting boned out of Yellowstone.

That place sure has a thing for Dinosaurs, which I too am a fan of, about 30 mins out heading east out of town and you can find Dinosaur national monument, this place has over 150 skeletons in a limestone bed from 149 million years ago. We spent two hours in that area and it was kinda of a surreal experience. Must see and stop for any history buff.

·
Registered
12,246 Posts
Places like that and the SD Badlands, the John Day Fossil Beds in Oregon, Bryce and Zion Canyons and the Columbia River Gorge which was formed by the Missoula Floods are reminders that this is an ever changing planet.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Either this year or the next I am going to get to Glacier national park or just Montana in general, if I have to go alone, so be it.
By car or by bike. Motorcycle is the best. You are pretty far away from the good stuff. Driving or riding will take some time just getting through to where it starts to get fun. I was in the same boat living in Minneapolis for 61 years , until we got smart and moved out west. Traveling alone is sometimes the best.

·
Registered
12,246 Posts
.......until we got smart and moved out west. Traveling alone is sometimes the best.
I was born and raised to age 12 in Chicago, then the family moved to Portland, Oregon. Yup cra-z1, very smart move. Especially for a boy that became a motorcyclist. Very little flat land to have to ride through out here.
Glacier NP and western Montana are well worth a look see. If you have a chance, take in Lolo Pass - Highway 12 through northern Idaho to Washington. One of our premier MC roads.
I can attest to travelling alone being a good thing. It opens you to meeting and talking with more people than when you are with someone. I could fill this page with tales of solo riding.

21 - 40 of 92 Posts