Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

41 - 60 of 92 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
If I had the time and funds I would take three weeks and drive out there, but cant afford to do that at this time, my website I am working on has been taking up most of my free time and I hope it takes off like I have seen others take off.

My ultimate dream would to be able to move out there, some place close to Yellowstone or in that general area. I have a ton of experience doing a lot of things and not just power sports related things like motorcycles and ATV's. Writing,photography,home repair,courier services,decent cook,tracker,trying to think about what else at the moment, I spent a lot of time around a lot of people and learned from them.

·
13,038 Posts
A few guys from back here went to Yellowstone on a snowmobile trip. They had to have a guide and could only go in certain places. They said it was one of the best trips they ever did. It snowed the day before they got there and the trees were cover with the snow. He said the animals were all over the place.

·
Registered
12,246 Posts
Not a bad idea Paulie. Here are some suggested titles; Fifty Shades of Motorcycle Parts / Confessions of a Motorcycle Parts Counterman...sub title...If you knew it might not fit your bike, why did you buy it? I'm sure others can chime in with more titles.

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Not a bad idea Paulie. Here are some suggested titles; Fifty Shades of Motorcycle Parts / Confessions of a Motorcycle Parts Counterman...sub title...If you knew it might not fit your bike, why did you buy it? I'm sure others can chime in with more titles.
You have no idea the stories I have in my head......the nightmares that have happened over the years.....I have watched the decline of our society from my spot at the old counter, till I moved off the counter and got behind a wall and started to do the online returns for EBAY and Amazon.

The one thing that just erks me to no end is the one person that calls in or stops in and they are leaving on a trip in two days.....come on....really?!?!?!?...you had to have know this was coming up for at least a week before hand...you don't get to sit there and yell at me or another one of the parts gents when we say we have to order it in and all of a sudden WE ruined your trip....I went back and fourth with a guy once because I finally had enough of hearing him sigh and say things under his breath, FYI for a 1996 Honda 300EX and he needed bushings and bearings for the front A-arms and some other weird stuff hat no one is going to keep on the shelf, he complained about everything from start to finish....price of the parts, even after I found a aftermarket that was cheaper then Honda parts time it was going to take, one day at the most for the aftermarket kit and not the two or three from Honda, all for a machine he only used........to go ice fishing..........that's it.....only used to go ice fishing and to pull a hut out some where on lake erie......and the kicker......the weather was going to be NO WHERE near cold enough to freeze the lake.....

That is just a drop in the 55 gallon drum of stuff I have been though. Majority of it is good, some great some bad and some VERY bad.

·
Registered
12,246 Posts
That's some story, Paulie and if you have enough to fill a book, go for it. Some more embellishment to make those stories more dramatic and interesting to read and you, at least, have the MC audience buying it. You can insert others' stories as well; not only parts guys, but ones the sales floor and shop people have that are good yarns.

Collect them from other dealerships too. You can travel to them and note your expenses (mileage, motels, per diem, etc.) and deduct them under the heading of research. That's one reason I keep a little biz going, to get those deductions. Mileage is about 55 cents a mile and per diem is about $55 a day as long as you can show a motel receipt. And that's deductible too. I'll bet staffs at dealerships in Hawaii have good tales to tell too. :)

I can commiserate with you and your tales of psycho-customers and so can many others here, I sure. I had a machine repair biz for over 40 years and had some weirdos, but not for long. Being a one man operation (and wifey too) when someone got strange with me, I had a name for them; ex customer. No manager was over me saying, "I don't care if he's an SOB, you're going to keep that account." The usual reason for dropping then was bad pay.

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
We seem to catch a lot of flak at our place because while we do believe that the customer is always right,we also are very stern with other issues as well, if someone is tying to pull a fast one, I have no issue on calling that person out, online sales now means that everyone is a keyboard warrior, how many emails I have seen or been sent because I would not bend over for someone when it was no where near our fault, if it was our fault then I do everything I can to fix the issue. But if someone buys something and does not read the listing and then wants us to fix it..I'm sorry but you got sent exactly what you ordered and if you would like to return it then its on your dime..not mine, then we get the whole....This is BullXXXX...your not taking care of me....I'm going to blast you on the internet....etc etc etc bla bla bla....

I'm just so over it, people online all think that they can get their way if they yell loud enough and with me...I don't lay over and take it, I just tell them how it is and if you don't like it there are plenty of other places out there.

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I wanna get back on track here. I think I talked a buddy of mine into going out west with me this time around, he has never been out further then Chicago so this should be a real big eye opener for him.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I wanna get back on track here. I think I talked a buddy of mine into going out west with me this time around, he has never been out further then Chicago so this should be a real big eye opener for him.
Oh ya it would be a real eye opener. I have been traveling out west and all over actually for the last 40 years and it never gets boring. I have fond memories of heading to Vegas then to San Diego in the early 80's when there were many more small towns without McDoalds or any Walmarts around. Now it seems that everything is much more the same everywhere you go, but it still has the great vista's and roads. Another area you may want to consider is Utah and wind your way up into Colorado. Start in Arizona at the Painted Desert, go into Monument Valley, then up into Colorado. So many thing to see. Gota start somewhere. Depending on the amount of time you have will kinda limit your destination. If you do get out this way give us a shout.

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Oh ya it would be a real eye opener. I have been traveling out west and all over actually for the last 40 years and it never gets boring. I have fond memories of heading to Vegas then to San Diego in the early 80's when there were many more small towns without McDoalds or any Walmarts around. Now it seems that everything is much more the same everywhere you go, but it still has the great vista's and roads. Another area you may want to consider is Utah and wind your way up into Colorado. Start in Arizona at the Painted Desert, go into Monument Valley, then up into Colorado. So many thing to see. Gota start somewhere. Depending on the amount of time you have will kinda limit your destination. If you do get out this way give us a shout.
The first trip we took we flew into Vegas and went north, last time we flew into Salt lake city and headed back east into Colorado and ended up staying in Grand lake.

Vernal was a great little town and we ended up staying there for a night before carrying the rest of the way the next day.

Next time I will also fly into Salt lake city and start from there again. I wanna do the trip I had planned before the fires took that out. Go to Glacier national park then work my way back south to Yellowstone.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The first trip we took we flew into Vegas and went north, last time we flew into Salt lake city and headed back east into Colorado and ended up staying in Grand lake.

Vernal was a great little town and we ended up staying there for a night before carrying the rest of the way the next day.

Next time I will also fly into Salt lake city and start from there again. I wanna do the trip I had planned before the fires took that out. Go to Glacier national park then work my way back south to Yellowstone.
Ya that sounds like a good plan. Lot to see between Salt Lake and Glacier. Do you rent bikes or a car? Either way it can be fun , just a lot more fun on a bike. Last year a met a friend in Montana and we went through Glacier and back to my place. He went on from there and was going through Lolo pass just when the fires were starting so he missed all of the fires which would have ended his trip.

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Ya that sounds like a good plan. Lot to see between Salt Lake and Glacier. Do you rent bikes or a car? Either way it can be fun , just a lot more fun on a bike. Last year a met a friend in Montana and we went through Glacier and back to my place. He went on from there and was going through Lolo pass just when the fires were starting so he missed all of the fires which would have ended his trip.
Have to rent a car, last time I went out I had my mom so bike is out of the question.

The time that we are thinking about going this time, the weather is a big factor, when we got to Dubios in Wyoming they already had five inches on the ground and there was another seven suppose to come down, third week in September. We was able to make it to where we was staying for the night and then kept a eye on the weather, grand Tetons and Yellowstone was both closed due to snow storms.
I think this was Tuesday the 19 of sep when we got into the area and we was supposed to be there till Friday for Yellowstone then leave and head back to Salt lake.
Wednesday morning we got up at five am and Yellowstone was closed but Tetons was open so we headed in there and saw all of that, we had a number to call to check on road conditions and at 10 am they opened up the south enstracne to Yellowstone up to old Faithfull, so we booked it in there and at least saw that, stopped at the rangers station to get a real update on what was going to happen and they said to get out while we could as there was another storm system coming in and then another right behind it.

I guess it was payback for our trip in 2015 when it was above perfect weather at the same time, 60-70 degrees and we never saw a cloud once we touched down in Vegas.

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Grand lake really stuck with me as well, nice area, quite, people are super friendly and as soon as you came into the valley there was not a bad view anywhere, Rocky Mountain national park was literally five mins away.

But Glacier is something new to me and I really wanna see that place.

·
Registered
12,246 Posts
But Glacier is something new to me and I really wanna see that place.
If there's was a hard winter, the roads there can be closed until sometime in July. Then repairs begin and travel is slow going. Check before going.

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
If there's was a hard winter, the roads there can be closed until sometime in July. Then repairs begin and travel is slow going. Check before going.
I would not be going till after Labor day, so usually second or third week in September.

Last year I think they had em open and clean by June 1st.

Only reason we didn't go was because of two weeks prior they had closed the one side of the park due to fires and they didn't seem to be opening it again till after we was already out of the area, I still wanted to go up that way but the travel partner and me kept going back and fourth about what to do.

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I dont think I would even step foot in a park again from June-August, I mean just look at the smokies in June, its wall to wall people and the traffic is stop and go. I've learned that the best time to go there is when everyone else going out and on a off week, get there on Wednesday night and then leave Saturday morning. The last four times we did that, there was always more heading in then there was heading out. Usually out the door by six am and stop off at a Shoneys to have breakfast before making the rest of the trip home. Next time I'll take my moms civic as my truck did great but the MPG sucked and I'd rather get 30+mpg then the best I saw was 16 mpg with my 5.3, lead foot and just trying to keep up with traffic kinda hurt my MPG.

·
13,038 Posts
with all the webcams now days you take a peak early on a trip

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
You should be ok in Sept but there has been a few years in the recent past they have closed Logan Pass mid Sept. Check out Past Openings and Closings.
https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/gtsrinfo.htm
Or if they get fires again like they did. We spoke to some of the motel/hotel owners out there and they said they had not had any real measurable rain since the start of June 2017.

41 - 60 of 92 Posts