Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, about a month ago I ordered some black bolts to swap out the factory silver one's on the primary and cam covers. Got the primary's swapped no problem, looking good.

Went over to the cam cover, and the bolts sent from Victory Only are 1/2cm shorter than stock. The bolts catch and you get about one turn on them before they are snug.
Sent another email regarding the need for longer bolts (3cm stud length), see what they come back with. Honestly, I'll probably swing by Ace Hardware and grab six from there so I can finish the project.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Greg,

:worthless without:

I wanna see. I was thinking along the same lines!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Swung by Ace Hardware, and picked up 6 - 3cm x 1.0 metric bolts (exact same finish) for $4.50.
That's 1/2 the price and no waiting sports fans.
Vic Only will send replacements when they receive a shipment from the mfg.

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
Swung by Ace Hardware, and picked up 6 - 3mm x 1.0 metric bolts (exact same finish) for $4.50.
That's 1/2 the price and no waiting sports fans.
Vic Only will send replacements when they receive a shipment from the mfg.
My local Ace Hardware store is a treasury of fasteners of all types, including chrome. Neat thing about going there is I get my hands on the items before buying. That way I know its gonna be right.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
Nice! Thank you for sharing. thumb up

I have an Ace Hardware about 1 mile away, and I haven't been in there in months. Time to go dig through their stuff.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Black Bolt Swap Pics

These primary bolts are from Victory Only and cost $25. There are about 14 bolts total, 1 bolt is only 3cm long thread depth, all others are 4cm. You should be able to pick these up at any good hardware store for about 1/2 the price. Take one along when you shop.

These cam cover bolts are from Ace Hdwr and cost about $4, Vic Only's price $9.95 All 6 bolts are 3cm thread length.

I just loosened the pipe clamps on the lower heat shield in order to get clearance on the bottom cam cover bolt. No need to pull the pipe!
You'll want to have a ball end hex for a couple of the bolts. A regular length will work on the rest. It didn't take much to loosen them. Put a dab of blue loc-tite on the new ones, and just swap em out one at a time.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ace is the place

My local Ace Hardware store is a treasury of fasteners of all types, including chrome. Neat thing about going there is I get my hands on the items before buying. That way I know its gonna be right.
Yep, the bigger ones have quite a selection of show chromed bolts, nuts, washers, etc. Kept under lock and key, but you can buy them cheaper than the online "dress up" kits.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Very NICE!!!!! cheers

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
So, about a month ago I ordered some black bolts to swap out the factory silver one's on the primary and cam covers. Got the primary's swapped no problem, looking good.

Went over to the cam cover, and the bolts sent from Victory Only are 1/2cm shorter than stock. The bolts catch and you get about one turn on them before they are snug.
Sent another email regarding the need for longer bolts (3cm stud length), see what they come back with. Honestly, I'll probably swing by Ace Hardware and grab six from there so I can finish the project.
Good day,

I just had the same problem with primary bolts that I got from buyWitchDoctors. I will be going to ACE to check out there selection. Thanks for the tip!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts