Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings All,

The bride just purchased a 12 Cross Roads (RED) with 33k miles. I have a couple of general questions. Also, a couple of things we noticed during test ride, etc.

The CR popped on decel. Will look at the headers and exhaust joints for leaks or looseness. It also popped during starting after sitting for a couple of minutes. IS there anything else I should beware of on this ride?

The CR demonstrated a pulsing when the front brakes were applied. To me, it felt like a warped front rotor. Sales guys said it could be the way the ABS works on these, or a tire. They ARE investigating before delivering next week. Have ridden other ABS bikes and not noticed a pulsing sensation, am curious if that was a SALESMAN's answer. Legitimate response from sales?, or am I looking at a new rotor?

What are some thing I should LOOK for on the used '12 Cross Roads? Left side cover to see if these is a fuel controller? How can I tell if the bike has had a stage I, or II kit? What are some areas I should give an extra look at? Air filter housing? Belt, swing arm, etc... I am not asking what mods we should do, more, what areas might be worthy of a more than casual looksey? Trouble spots, good things to look for etc.

I am still reading NEWBIE posts and WHAT TO ASK posts.

Thank you in advance. Ride safe,
Smokier

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
The popping on decal is not unusual and on start not really ether. Especially if you have stage one upgrade on the scooter. On the brakes you probably have antilock brakes. I have been riding Victory's for almost 15 years and 4 different Victory's. They all popped. As for the brakes I have never had antilock brakes on a motorcycle. I'm sure others on the site could give you a much better analysis than me.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Yes fuel controller would be on left side.
I see many posts about popping it's not a thing for me though.

Check the pads and the rotors. No pulsing under normal braking.

The good thing is these bikes are easy to work on so give it a good going over as you would with ANY used bike. Front to back top to bottom.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
My wife and I have four XCT bikes all with ABS. None of them have pulsing brakes. The pulsing is not from the ABS.

·
12,970 Posts
Your pads might not be flat. Its a easy job to pull them out and place a peace a of coarse sandpaper on a flat surface and run the pads across them a few times. Even do that when installing new pads.
Like he already said Vic's pop if you learn how to do a miled speed **** you'll get rid of most the pops. If you want a fuel control to eliminate popping all together take a trip to the western parts of Iowa. Rylan is one of the best tuners and wrench in the country. Witchdoctor caries a good supply of pads.

https://www.thevicshop.com/

·
Registered
12,149 Posts
Greetings 104 from another happy XR owner/rider in the Pacific Northwet.
To reduce popping, reduce your right wrist action when shifting. You are moving the throttle too much.
When starting, hold the throttle open about 1/8 turn and do not release the starter until the engine is going. Do not try to start with the throttle closed.
Brake pulsing can also be from something in the discs. Use alcohol or brake cleaner and wipe then clean.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Elmvale ON just in from a brisk 41 degree 5 hour ride 8)

You've arrived at the correct spot for assistance...enjoy and....

Ride Safe,

Rob

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
My 2013 XCT front brakes will have a pulse at low speed with rather hard lever action, like under 5 mph stopping in park spot say. But at highway speed or slowing for stop lights not at all that I notice. The popping is normal on my bike, I have the O2 sensors disconnected also.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Greetings All,

Thanks for the responses and information. The shop reports that the wheel was out of alignment and that they have corrected it. We take delivery on Tuesday. If weather permits, will take a quick ride and confirm no more pulsing when front brake is applied.
Will make adjustments to wrist action to address decel popping.

Thanks guys!
Ride safe,
Smokier

·
12,970 Posts
smokier104

hope you got owners book read how to check oil Vic's are not like other bikes

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
smokier104

No they are just like every other bike I've owned. It's very common but nice that you point it out don't want anyone with overfilled oil.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
smokier104

No Owners Manual, however, did download it from the Vic site. Have been reading through it, and will re-review the oil check section. Thanks for the heads up.

On the topic of OIL (Don't shoot me yet), what 'alternative' filters do people use? Having come from Kawi-land, we have a list of easily obtainable alternatives from any auto parts store. Am assuming there is a like list for Victories?

Ride safe,
Smokier

·
Premium Member
12,993 Posts
Oil Filter
20 x 1.5mm threads, 14 psi by-pass valve, anti-drain back valve, 2.3" O.D. gasket, 3.5" long. These all use synthetic media and accordion wrap.
• * Purolator ML 16851,
• WIX 51356 or 51356XP , $7.99/O’Reilly’s
• Mobil 1 M1-110, $12.__/Advance
• Bosch 3323, $13.__/Advance
• NAPA PFL 41365
• Super-Tech ST7317, $2
• Polaris 3084963 - $8.54
• K & N – 198 - $13.99

Oil filter cross reference for Wix 51356<Click Here

Motor Oil - 20W - 40
• Rotella T6 5W-40, synthetic, $23.99/Advance
• Lucas Synthetic SAE 20W-50 - $
• Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50 synthetic, $9.49
• Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 was previously known as Mobil 1 MX4T 10W-40 - $11.99
• Mobil1 5W40 Turbo Diesel Oil? Not enough information
• Amsoil 20W-50 synthetic, $10.90
• Castrol V-Twin Power RS Semi-Synthetic 20W-50 - (#8178) - $8.99
• Castrol ACT-EVO X-TRA 4T Semi-Synthetic (#558754) – 1 gal $23.99
• Rotella T5 semi-synthetic (silver jug-4qts) - $16
• Victory Semi-Synthetic 20W-40

Oil Drain Plug: M12 x 1.5mm
Oil Drain Plug Washers: 12mm ID x 19mm OD x 1.3mm thick - copper crush washers
p.s Same washer that is used on Toyota R22
NAPA - bag of 25 Price $6.00
http://www.conquestcustoms.com-Drain Plug Crush Washer REFILL KIT - Dozen - Price $6.00
http://buywitchdoctors.com-5 Pack Oil Drain Plug Washers - Item # DP-WASH - Price $ 4.25
Magnetic Drain Plugs for Indian/Victory Motorcycles - $34.95. (high power magnet)

Air Filter
POLARIS VICTORY - Part # 7080858 - $59.99
K&N - Part # PL-1500 - $52.95

*Stay away from the Purolator Pure One oil filter. It is a very good filter but it may be too restrictive for the Victory engine for oil flow. Vic runs at Higher Oil pressure than the puro was designed for.

X-Bike Side Cover Grommets: NAPA part# NW784633

·
12,970 Posts
Do your self a favor and get rid of the oem oil drain plug it sucks.

Auto stores sell NGK spark plugs there p/n 3481 dealer wants $9 bucks each auto store is 2 for $7 bucks.
Before you ask most of us use Rotella motor oil cause Vi'c oil is so overpriced. I have never read where any ones motor has gone to hell using Rotella

·
Registered
12,149 Posts
To Bbob's thoughtful list, I will add this oft overlooked bit; the clutch lever pivot bushing - yes, they wear and make the lever action sloppy. They are not (and were never) available from Victory, but you can obtain them from Yamaha P/N 3GM-26455-00. They fit the first generation Venture. You're welcome.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Greetings Gentlemen (#RicZ, #BBob & #VisionJohnny),

Excellent information and exactly what was hoped for! Thank you! #BBob, you win the "Go-Giver" award for going above-n-beyond.
The observation on the Puroilator is appreciated. Wix will get the nod.
Will also stock up on the OIL PLUG and CLUTCH LEVER PIN.

Ride safe,
Smokier

·
Premium Member
12,993 Posts
Greetings Gentlemen (#RicZ, #BBob & #VisionJohnny),

Excellent information and exactly what was hoped for! Thank you! #BBob, you win the "Go-Giver" award for going above-n-beyond.
The observation on the Puroilator is appreciated. Wix will get the nod.
Will also stock up on the OIL PLUG and CLUTCH LEVER PIN.

Ride safe,
Smokier
You bet. That info is always available under the Belts and other things link in my sig line along with some service manuals and other links.

Ric and VJ; I added those items to the misc parts and belts link.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Oil Filter
20 x 1.5mm threads, 14 psi by-pass valve, anti-drain back valve, 2.3" O.D. gasket, 3.5" long. These all use synthetic media and accordion wrap.
• * Purolator ML 16851,
• WIX 51356 or 51356XP , $7.99/O’Reilly’s
• Mobil 1 M1-110, $12.__/Advance
• Bosch 3323, $13.__/Advance
• NAPA PFL 41365
• Super-Tech ST7317, $2
• Polaris 3084963 - $8.54
• K & N – 198 - $13.99

Oil filter cross reference for Wix 51356<Click Here

Motor Oil - 20W - 40
• Rotella T6 5W-40, synthetic, $23.99/Advance
• Lucas Synthetic SAE 20W-50 - $
• Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50 synthetic, $9.49
• Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 was previously known as Mobil 1 MX4T 10W-40 - $11.99
• Mobil1 5W40 Turbo Diesel Oil? Not enough information
• Amsoil 20W-50 synthetic, $10.90
• Castrol V-Twin Power RS Semi-Synthetic 20W-50 - (#8178) - $8.99
• Castrol ACT-EVO X-TRA 4T Semi-Synthetic (#558754) – 1 gal $23.99
• Rotella T5 semi-synthetic (silver jug-4qts) - $16
• Victory Semi-Synthetic 20W-40

Oil Drain Plug: M12 x 1.5mm
Oil Drain Plug Washers: 12mm ID x 19mm OD x 1.3mm thick - copper crush washers
p.s Same washer that is used on Toyota R22
NAPA - bag of 25 Price $6.00
http://www.conquestcustoms.com-Drain Plug Crush Washer REFILL KIT - Dozen - Price $6.00
http://buywitchdoctors.com-5 Pack Oil Drain Plug Washers - Item # DP-WASH - Price $ 4.25
Magnetic Drain Plugs for Indian/Victory Motorcycles - $34.95. (high power magnet)

Air Filter
POLARIS VICTORY - Part # 7080858 - $59.99
K&N - Part # PL-1500 - $52.95

*Stay away from the Purolator Pure One oil filter. It is a very good filter but it may be too restrictive for the Victory engine for oil flow. Vic runs at Higher Oil pressure than the puro was designed for.

X-Bike Side Cover Grommets: NAPA part# NW784633
Very good info. :)
That should be in a sticky post. We have a common question sticky on other bike forum I'm on with stuff like that.

·
12,970 Posts
No they are just like every other bike I've owned. It's very common but nice that you point it out don't want anyone with overfilled oil.
Just curious what other bikes do you stand up to check oil

1 - 20 of 28 Posts