Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you Hammer guys considering the MSD coils, I have a little insight to offer. Besides the fact that (in my opinion) they look really cool on Hammers, I did experience a decrease in exhaust popping immediately after putting these on last weekend. My bike didn’t pop much before, but periodically I would get that one single pop upon shifting or deceleration especially if just putting it along. I have learned over the years how to shift this thing and avoid 90% of the popping issues people complain about. Anyway, I put about an hour on it this weekend between rainstorms, and I didn’t hear the exhaust pop one time. I’m not sure if anyone else has similar experience. I’ve read numerous opinions that they don’t really do much for performance, and I won’t argue because I can’t attest to that. This current engine build (3rd times the charm) is still very new so I haven’t pushed it too hard yet. I haven’t put enough miles on it to know for sure, but first impressions are the coils may have cleaned up the backfire pop a little. I’ll update more after things dry out some and I can get more time on them.

As far as the other opinions out on these things...yes I agree they are a little too expensive for something that is mostly cosmetic. Yes, there are other mods you can put your money toward and get a better performance return for your money. To me, they just seem to look right on the Hammers. Maybe I'm just trying to convince myself it wasn't too much money after all. Cheers.

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
Good post and points... Maybe they do help reduce the popping, I kinda like the popping.... When I ordered most of my bolt-ons they ensured me the MSD would only give you 1 HP extra.... They do look good....

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
12,150 Posts
Minimal wrist movement between shifts results in minimal popping.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Exactly....and when in doubt, spin it a little more. Shifts at 3,400 pop a lot less than shifts at 2,900.

·
Registered
12,150 Posts
Exactly....and when in doubt, spin it a little more. Shifts at 3,400 pop a lot less than shifts at 2,900.
Shifts at 4500 rpm are even more fun and who cares if it pops?!?

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
Shifts at 4500 rpm are even more fun and who cares if it pops?!?
I find 5600 rpm lotsa fun, only thing popping is the front wheel!:devil

·
Registered
12,150 Posts
There's a little gremlin lurking somewhere in the electrics that won't let me go past 5200-5400 rpm. But I'm good with having him around. :)

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
There's a little gremlin lurking somewhere in the electrics that won't let me go past 5200-5400 rpm. But I'm good with having him around. :)
Bikes pulling strong, Cams are on song, my Vegas she's "haulin' ass":devil

·
Registered
12,150 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
Life is good, eh MBX? :laugh
On the Vic it is, thing is this bloody cold ( I refuse to empower it by calling it flu) Ive had for almost 2 weeks.
broke out and rode last week to test the fast action throttle.
Its nice n sunny now so I'm gonna go and spread my germs in the wind for a coupla hours.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am definitely interested in installing these MSD coils.

1) they look cool. 2) I believe my stock coil(s) may be having issues.

When I did some mods to my '05 Hammer (S&S Air cleaner and added a Power Commander) and had it dyno'd, the shop was having trouble getting "signals" from my wires (Yellow Accel wires) which I have since replaced with red MSD wires (much better).

My engine seems to "blubber" or "gurgle" at lower RPM's 1400 to 2000, after that (to me) it seems to run good and strong.

Plus my throttle response is a little off (to me) at low RPM/Speeds (which I have heard the MSD coils cleans up some),
Plus the added benefit of reducing the backfire thang (mine does it a LOT during engine braking at low and slow speeds).

My only concern is installation. I have read that I may have to install washers under the rear tank bolt for more height for clearance of the coils, and the "back" bolts are a real beeatch because they hit the frame during installation.

Any advise from you guys that have already installed the MSD coils on a steel frame bike?

Thanx

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
I never lifted my front wheel on my jackpot as far as I know... What am I doing wrong ¿

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
779 Posts
They look cool as hell, but I'm pretty sure I read they will not fit a Judge. Can't look it up right now- @ work.

Even this site has a weird partial block on it here. I can read, reply, but when I submit a reply it goes to the "busted" page and I have to use the forum's main link to get back..

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
I never lifted my front wheel on my jackpot as far as I know... What am I doing wrong ¿

Andre using TaPaTaLk
You need MSD coils mate! LOL!

I'm using stock coils and wires the bike came with.
It'll extend the front forks all the way leaving the line in first, maybe just lift the wheel off the deck a fraction.
Slamming it into second in some runs it feels like it comes up a few inches.
I'm not trying to consciously do it it's just the reaction to full power and acceleration on the sticky surface of the dragstrip.
Once my RPW slash exhaust goes on I sorta think it may come up a bit more.
The pros at the track strap their front ends down with ratchet straps. Repeatedly hitting the front brake hard and cranking on the ratchets, to get the front as compressed as possible so when the bike launches the weight transfer goes instantly to the rear wheel and tyre.
Not wasting it's momentum by stretching out the forks

·
12,970 Posts

When I did some mods to my '05 Hammer (S&S Air cleaner and added a Power Commander) and had it dyno'd, the shop was having trouble getting "signals" from my wires (Yellow Accel wires) which I have since replaced with red MSD wires (much better).

My engine seems to "blubber" or "gurgle" at lower RPM's 1400 to 2000, after that (to me) it seems to run good and strong.

Plus my throttle response is a little off (to me) at low RPM/Speeds (which I have heard the MSD coils cleans up some),
Plus the added benefit of reducing the backfire thang (mine does it a LOT during engine braking at low and slow speeds).

My only concern is installation. I have read that I may have to install washers under the rear tank bolt for more height for clearance of the coils, and the "back" bolts are a real beeatch because they hit the frame during installation.

Any advise from you guys that have already installed the MSD coils on a steel frame bike?

Thanx
Everything you described MSD will not fix.
You might need new plugs. Are plug wires seated in all the way.
You should clean throttle body. Maybe once a year.
You blubbering is do to bad dyno tune.
All vic backfire but a good dyno tune should get rid of 90% of it.
where or what shop did the dyno tune do they know anything about vic's. For $370 dollars you could do more then waist the money on coils that will only give you a 2% benefit

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would not let the installation worry you. It isn't that difficult, just a little frustrating. Start to finish took me about 2 hours. Take your seat off and add a couple washers at the rear seat bolt to shim it up just slightly. The bolt is long enough to accommodate that. The front coil is a piece of cake. The rear coil bolts need to be forced past the frame rail to slide down into place. It will go, you just need to give it a little extra persuasion. You will probably scuff your frame paint in the process. I couldn't figure out any other way to get them into place because of the angle the frame rail puts them as you try to get them in place. A little touch up paint to the rail and you will be very happy you put these on. They look great every Hammer I have seen with them. Don't sweat the install.

Thanx

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
^^

Concur with prior post.
But I think he meant washer under the tank bolt, not the seat bolt.
Just as he said, there is zero clearance for the install of the mounting bolts for the rear coil, they go but after getting pressed past contact with the frame. Rear coil contacts tank without a little shimming.
I'm doing custom plug wires at the same time, still playing with wire routing solutions.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Do these only come in red? Blacked out bike not sure if that will stand out too much if it's red and nothing else is?
Plus is it best to do these before a dyno tune or will it just make things even better down the road? Not sure i want to fork out yet more $ on them now lol.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts