1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
784 Posts
LOL. My Vic has been in the shop more then the past 2 Ventures and Goldwing combined. I'm not surprised a bit.

That said HD is more in the VIC/Kawasaki range than I would have thought. The BMW doesn't strike me as odd for a couple of reasons, but I thought they would fare a little better than they did.

cheers

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/m...tion/index.htm

Interesting paragraph... appears Victory owners LOVE them!

Would I buy another Vic? ABSOFRIGGINLUTELY !

But owner satisfaction—i.e., happiness—is an entirely different measure from reliability. Eighty percent of Victory owners said they would definitely buy the same bike if they were to do it all over again. Harley-*Davidson owners were quite happy, with 72 percent responding likewise, trailed closely by Honda at 70 percent. All other brands were below 70 percent.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Wow that is great for Victory- it's only a couple of percent off the nearest Jap manufacturer. I'm impressed! Would like to know where Indian would fit too- but obviously not a big enough sample size yet.

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
Firstly Gentlemen, anyone here who trusts Consumer Reports I'd like to sell a bridge to. I have caught them falsely reporting so many times, I wouldn't use that rag for anything other than starting a fire. That so-called reliability list was made up from just the hearsay of owners. For a true reliability rating, go to JD Powers--they use the records that show how many times a vehicle gets repaired in the first 90 days of ownership.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Now Rick, you know stats will generally say exactly what the people reading them want them to say. If they don't there are so many ways to scew them it ain't funny. Notice also these are for 4 year old bikes. Many of the owners of many brands never keep one that long. I feel the BMW was effected by this as the folks that have them as a large quantity keep them a long time and ride the bajesus out of them.
Could be wrong but it would have been interesting to add the average odometer on all of them. I'm sure it would have shed some light.
cheers

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
That's why the Consumer Reports article is so off track. I'll stick with JD Powers.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I put motorcycle reliability in the same paddling-pool as computer hard drive reliability.. The imperfectly built ones.. They'll fail pretty much as soon as you get them, or else they last for a good long time..

My feeling is that it's best to ride the ever-living-crap out of a bike while it's still under warranty - anything that can go wrong, usually will, get it fixed, then you are left with a pretty decent scoot.

Keeping up with scheduled maintenance is always gonna make your bike go that extra mile too..

They really should pepper these statistics with good info..

17% failed..

After how many miles?

DID THEY CHANGE THE OIL AT LEAST ONCE??? ...That kinda thing :D

·
Registered
632 Posts
My feeling is that it's best to ride the ever-living-crap out of a bike while it's still under warranty - anything that can go wrong, usually will, get it fixed, then you are left with a pretty decent scoot.
I agree....thumb up
The manufactures' Want everyone to foliow a break in period so there is less chance of something breaking on their dime...
So after the warranty is gone, And you ride it like you're suppose to any thing that breaks is on your dime..

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
You don't want to know what they did to your bike at the end of the assembly line to see if it will break.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thats about right

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/s/makes-most-reliable-motorcycle-100025261.html

A little disappointed to see Victory about in the middle regarding reliability...being outranked by all Japanese motorcycles. We did beat out Harley, surprise surprise.
My XCT was in the shop for 3 months when it had only 5000 miles on it.
I had one Yamaha with 160,000 miles, another with 60,000 miles on it and another with 45,000 miles on it. None of them were ever in the shop except for routine service or add-ons by choice. I think what ticked me off was the Victory dealership owner was not very sensitive when I complained and not very honest about the length of the delay. He also said if it was Harley, it would be about the same time in the shop. I responded: if you want to compare your standard to Harley, then maybe I should buy a Harley. Also said it doesn't speak much of the industry standard either. We never have cars out that long. I almost sold the Victory.

·
Super Moderator
6,375 Posts
You don't want to know what they did to your bike at the end of the assembly line to see if it will break.
Now, I kinda do...

·
Registered
12,298 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Oh common, you mean you don't want to tell anyone the engine is run to red line after assembly?

Ooops, did I type that out loud.:eek::crzy:

cheers

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
Oh common, you mean you don't want to tell anyone the engine is run to red line after assembly?

Ooops, did I type that out loud.:eek::crzy:

cheers
now you went and let the pussy out of sack. :crzy:

·
Registered
329 Posts
https://www.yahoo.com/autos/s/makes-most-reliable-motorcycle-100025261.html

A little disappointed to see Victory about in the middle regarding reliability...being outranked by all Japanese motorcycles. We did beat out Harley, surprise surprise.
I for one am not the least bit surprised by the results. If you had to ask me who built the most reliable bike then I would put pretty much all the Japanese bikes ahead of Victory. Lets be honest, Victory is new to this motorcycle building game. All the other players have been doing this for quite some time. And the Japanese quality systems are just much better. I am fairly impressed that Victory is in the same group as the Japanese bikes and significantly ahead of the rest (including Harley). Victory is in that top tier for motorcycle quality and number 1 in satisfaction. I'd say that's pretty impressive. Especially since there are certain other manufacturers that have been building motorcycles for over 100 years and can't seem to get the reliability up into that top tier.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts