Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Prior to getting my new 2012 CCT in March of 2013, I had over 3 decades on mostly Moto Guzzi bikes. I was at a MG dealer today that had a nice selection of the 1400 models. The V9 and V7 lines offer nothing I'd even remotely look at. The 1400 line consists of the MGX-21, the California Touring, Eldorado and the Audace. All the 1400 models share the exact same engine and frame etc. The available color(s), fenders, handlebars, saddlebags and the seats mostly differentiate between the four 1400 models. I rode a CA Touring a few months ago at a local dealer and actually hated that bike. The throttle was on and off like a light switch at anything under 2500rpm, the Corbin seat was awful in positioning me way too far forward and the handlebars were adjusted way too low. It really was an awful test ride. According to the largest (by far) Wildguzzi.com internet forum, there's finally a map available from a tuner in New Zealand that can be loaded into the stock bike which greatly enhances the throttle response and the overall engine performance.

CA Touring - hard bags, windshield, driving lights

Eldorado - just the basic bike with a more comfortable seat

Audace - awful handlebars unless you have unusually long arms and a short torso

MGX21 - way too thin saddlebags that open to the side and will likely spill everything out along with a hokey handlebar Batman style fairing. The 21" front wheel literally flops to the sides in turns so it would take a lot to get used to it.

Back to the Eldorado. The one on the floor was all black with white pinstripes and looked very nice. Then I walked past the service area and saw them setting up a black/red one. The fenders are gloss black with a bright red tank and side covers. Wow, does that look sweet in person and up close.

No, my CCT isn't going anywhere and I'm not buying another Moto Guzzi.

Especially after looking around at the sky high prices of the Moto Guzzi accessories (saddlebags/windshields/backrest/luggage rack/driving lights) etc. Wow, crazy high prices IMHO.

Worse yet is the dismal Moto Guzzi dealer network. Even after Victory getting murdered by Polaris, I suspect most Guzzi owners would be jealous of the many parts and servicing dealers still left for us Victory riders.

I think my beautiful bride of over 32 years has threatened (playfully) to tie a chain onto every Moto Guzzi we ever had and then she'd pull them down the street. She hated the cramped passenger accommodations. She loves the mighty Victory CCT as do I.

There may be another Moto Guzzi at some point in my future, but certainly not now.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
When the time does come...finding a replacement for the mighty Vic is not going to be an easy task. There is really nothing that offers what our Cross bikes do..made worse by all the "things" we've done to them over the years of owner ship to make them "just right".

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Mgx-21

Sat on a used MGX-21 a few weeks ago. Everybody has their likes and dislikes. That MGX-21 has to go in my dislike pile, sorry Guzziest. Sat on it, could hardley get it off the side stand, very heavy, top heavy to me. I do not think that 21" front wheel helps the feel at all. So maybe one of the other 1400 Guzzi models may fit me better. I would like to ride one possibly one day. Currently(still) have an old 850cc apart in many pieces. Those old ones sure do ride nice when they are running correctly. One day I will take one out maybe. Now only if I could swing the payments on a new one, oh yeah maybe double up the cylinders and order a new MOTUS, yes that's the ticket for sport touring.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts