Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A few weeks ago I discovered I had an old set of Motolights from a moto I had sold a couple years ago:crzy: I call Motolights and ordered an adapter kit for the XC, plus the amber lights. Wasn't tooo hard to install. I like them because they really add to the conspicuity (is this a word?) of the bike, and I really hate it when cages turn in front of me:rolleyes:

The on/off swith fit perfectly in the "blank" next to the radio read out. I used the left blank for the heated grips, and the right blank for the lights.

http://www.motolight.com/

I took the pictures in my garage with/without the lights. The apparant coloring on the lights themselves is bacuase they are billet aluminum and ols, so I used a wire brush to cleam them up. In a month, the coloring will be consistent.

Just another alternative. I don't know what they cost now, but they are very high quality, and rather pricey.

Attachments

·
Registered
156 Posts
Nice look ,those cagers aren't going to think your just another streetlamp now. It makes sense to use them no mistaking your on the road. Nice look . Mike

·
Registered
12,200 Posts
That triangle of light is attention getting alright. And yes, conspicuity is a very good word among us riders. We need all of it we can get. What I don't understand are those riders who have a black bike, wear black riding gear, put on a black helmet and then bitch that cagers don't see 'em. Go figger.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I like those Motolights ! they look awesome and will help in the visibility area bigtime.
I looked for some for my '07 KP Tour but they are a little too pricey for me right now. There really does not seem to be a lot of options out there for light bars for victorys, unless I'm not looking in the right places :)
Yours look great ! ride safe.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
gregbenner
Who makes the wheel chock?
The one on the XC is a Wheeldock. It is very effective, and has a flat ride on surface making it easy with a heavy bike. The only disadvantage is if you want to use it for multiple bikes with different size front wheels you have to tie wrap spacers to fit. Sort of a pain.

I have three chocks, the best one for overall use is the Baxley Sport Chock, which I use on my bike lift which I use for all my bikes.

http://www.wheeldock.com/

http://www.baxleycompanies.com/

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
A couple of days ago (while I had the fairing off, for a Stebel horn install, http://www.victoryforums.com/showpost.php?p=70511&postcount=45 ), I installed my Motolights. Like Greg, I already had these; in fact, they were on my '07 Burgman 650, until I sold it a few months ago, and on my Valkyrie Interstate for a couple of years before that.

Also like Greg, I installed a switch (the official Victory one, I think designed for fog lights) in the dash. I will say this: taking off the front fairing is much easier than taking off the dash (which I found necessary to do, in order to install the switch). The dash panel has 10 bolts, 6 of which are a real pain in the a$$ to deal with, because you can't get an Allen-head socket in, and you can certainly fuggedaboud trying to put a torque wrench on them.

I mounted the lights downward from the lower caliper bolt; it looks like Greg mounted that bracket piece upwards. No big deal, to each his own. I think Motolight recommends having the wire come out on the underside of things, probably to aid drainage of any water; I also think it doesn't really matter.

About two and a half years ago, I changed out the stock 35-watt halogen bulbs for 5-watt LEDs. Keep in mind that if you're doing an Iron Butt Rally and you want to see a half-mile down the road, Motolights are not for you; you'll be better off with something from PIAA or Hella. As Greg mentioned, Motolights are primarily for conspicuity (and they light up the side of the road better, too).

So, I wasn't concerned about any light-down-the-road loss. I did this to save 60 watts of alternator juice, around the same time I got a heated jacket liner (which consumes 76 watts on max heat). The Burger was running a juice deficit at idle with the lights and the heat; the solution was to not stop, or turn off the Motolights, or change to LEDs. At a couple thousand RPM, the alternator - 500-some watts - was fine, though. I haven't seen any specs on Vic's X-series alternator output, or how much it drops off as the engine drops down to idle, so I can't comment on that.

The pictures below show how the recent installation came out, as well as two older pics: one shows the halogen vs. the LED bulb, and another one shows the light-pattern and color change, when I had one stock halogen in place (on the left in the pic) and one LED replacement in (the right side of the pic). So, my light triangle, with the XCT's HID bulb, is all about the same color; Greg's two-color setup is probably better for getting cagers to notice it.

Attachments

·
Registered
520 Posts
That triangle of light is attention getting alright. And yes, conspicuity is a very good word among us riders. We need all of it we can get. What I don't understand are those riders who have a black bike, wear black riding gear, put on a black helmet and then bitch that cagers don't see 'em. Go figger.
Ya, blame it on the riders. Take another look at the black XC in the picture, now add a rider with helmet, if you can't see that in broad daylight you shouldn't be driving and need a white and red cane. If you can't see that headlight at night, same thing applies.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Just as a point of interest on extra lights, a major benefit of having a large light triangle (or square, or pentagon...) is giving the viewer a better shot of estimating distances and speeds.

That is, while there are plenty of "I didn't see him at all" accident excuses, there are also a lot of accidents of the "I didn't realize he was that close" or "I didn't realize he was going that fast" variety. A single point of light may be visible, but when viewed in front it doesn't lend itself to good estimations of approaching speed and distance. You can't get the 3D-like perspective from it, the way you can with, say, widely spaced car headlights.

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Ya, blame it on the riders. Take another look at the black XC in the picture, now add a rider with helmet, if you can't see that in broad daylight you shouldn't be driving and need a white and red cane. If you can't see that headlight at night, same thing applies.
yep I agree..color aint got **** to do with it..Its about size..people are use to seeing CAR size vehicles. Or 2 headlights instead of one to build a idea of whats coming...they just dont consider the smaller things..If color is what saves your ass we should all be riding chartruese bikes..I wear all black ride a black bike and never have a problem being seen..I ride with my HID on bright at night for me not anyone else......if they look like they dont see me in the day Iswitch bright on as well..they are going to see that...promise ya that.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I had the MotoLites on my Valkyrie. I noticed from day one that folks preparing to pull out of a side street rolled ahead a few feet,then stopped dead in their tracks. I attribute that to the lights. I had MUCH less cars pulling out on me than before.

I find the the HID light on my 12 XCT does much the same thing. It's all about letting the cars see you.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I had the MotoLites on my Valkyrie. I noticed from day one that folks preparing to pull out of a side street rolled ahead a few feet,then stopped dead in their tracks. I attribute that to the lights. I had MUCH less cars pulling out on me than before.

I find the the HID light on my 12 XCT does much the same thing. It's all about letting the cars see you.
I have a 2013 Cross Country Tour. I installed the original equipment Victory brand HID head light and reflector but still had cars pulling right out in front of me.

I just installed a set of Motolights Thursday night and not a single car has pulled out in front of me since. They just stay stopped or they rolled a couple of feet and stopped. I bought the high intensity LED upgraded bulbs along with the Motolights. They really make you stand out. Even the Harley crowd is straining their necks looking at me as we pass in opposite directions on the road. I can't tell you how many other bikes have passed me and stared into the mirrors looking back at the front of the bike.

The Motolights are one of the best safety features you can add to your bike. They are expensive but than again how much is your life worth? Once you figure that out they are really cheap.

I did have to add some length to the wiring harness for the three ground wires that connect to the battery and the power wire before the fuse so I could place the relay in the fairing. The fuse is tucked in next to the horn so you can quickly get to it if you need to replace a fuse but still out of the direct weather.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Just a suggestion to Motolight owners (and I've had Motolights on three bikes now, starting in 1997, and, as you'll note from a post earlier in this thread, now on my XCT): you may want to turn them off while riding in traffic at night.

That is, these are not way-down-the-road, doing-an-Iron-Butt-run kind of lights. They have a wide spread, which is good for lighting up the side of the road, and -- what we're talking about here -- good for conspicuity, i.e., being visible. But that wide spread is not really pleasant for the cars (or bikes) in front of you. I have a buddy who also has Motolights, and in those rare cases when we're riding at night, and I'm in front, those are really annoying.

So, take it or leave it, my suggestion is to give people in front of you a break at night, and turn them off, particularly if there are no side streets, e.g., you're superslabbing it. (And if buy that, you'll need to install yourself a switch when you wire them in.)

I'm just sayin'...

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
I do love these lights. The whole triangle effect really makes the bike stand out.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I bought the LED upgrade with the Motolight kit, the spread pattern is 10 degrees according to Motolight. I have had no problems with night traffic and I did take the time to aim them according to the instructions from Motolight.

Another thing I noticed about these lights are the instructions say not to touch the Motolights after using them because they will be HOT. With the LED bulbs the Motolight case stays cool to the touch, you can't even feel any heat after they have been on for a while. The LED's run very cool in this set up.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Added a pair of ADV Monster Lights to my XCT. Got the yellow lenses too. Two Reasons, One you stand out on the road to those who are actually looking out the front window and two helps a bunch in road definition when it is wet or foggy, the HID tends to loses road definition when it is wet.. Reflective stuff is easy to see but the bumps and holes get lost. The Yellow make the road stand out along with all of the evel waiting out there.

I have had several comments on the three light setup ( two low and one hi) it is like nothing on the road and the bike stands apart from the darkness.

The ADV Monsters are LED with 3300 Lumens of light output, almost as much as my HID!

cheerswacwacwac

·
Registered
139 Posts
I resemble that last remark for the most part. And as already stated---if you can't see my 280lb frame sitting on my XC with the headlight on and that big red light in the rear, than you are blind !!! And when I ride at night my jacket has reflective piping that my wife says is very visible and should keep me from getting into my 4th accident !!! I guess to make sure YOU can see me I could mount a yellow strobe on top of my helmet !!!!

And just to set the record straight, accident one and two were caused by other
MOTORCYCLISTS pulling out in front of me. #3 was caused by a lady running a red light and broadsiding my brand new Goldwing !!!! Yes, it was black !!

·
Registered
848 Posts
Something to ponder:

Som eof us remember when a fire truck had one red rotating light and a single siren that sounded like some one pulling a cat tail.

Back in the lat 60's early 70s things started to change to the rolling light shows of today. Why did that change... Emergancy response vehicles were involed in increasingly more accidents back then. Why because the public "couldn't see them! Sound familar?

Today we have these 80,000 pound rolling light shows, they sound like a bad rock band, look like the fourth of July, and are as big as a house.... Problem solved? NO! people still can'tsee them.

If the motoring public can see that it really doesn't matter what color your bike is the cager is not going to see you either.

I ride as if every cager is trying to kill me.. with that expectation I seldom get surprised when they try...

Trained reflexes win every time over luck...

wacwacwac

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
The one on the XC is a Wheeldock. It is very effective, and has a flat ride on surface making it easy with a heavy bike. The only disadvantage is if you want to use it for multiple bikes with different size front wheels you have to tie wrap spacers to fit. Sort of a pain.

I have three chocks, the best one for overall use is the Baxley Sport Chock, which I use on my bike lift which I use for all my bikes.

http://www.wheeldock.com/

http://www.baxleycompanies.com/
greg: I just posted a Wheeldock thread in the General forum -- http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?p=750929 -- giving you credit, if you're interested.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts