Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took a nice ride down to Ocean City, MD yesterday with my buddy who rides a Harley Road Glide. Headed back, we maintained a pretty good pace with him leading the way. Then I hear a strange "metallic rapping/tapping" sound. Seemed less when I'm under load. When I let off the throttle, it's accompanied by a raspy rattling sound. Pulled over to do an inspection. Tapping seems to be coming from lower rear cylinder, rasping rattling (when I let off of the throttle) seems to be coming from top of rear cylinder head. No smoking and seems to be no degradation of power, although I didn't really get on it after I heard the noise. I limped in home last night and put it in the garage. To make matters worse.. I have to hear all my Harley Buddies talk about how they I broke down trying to keep up with the Harleys! SMH. I'll try to do a sound clip later today.

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
Possible cam chain tensioner?

·
Registered
12,326 Posts
Turned out to be a private video. You are asking for help with a bike we know little about cuz you won't post a signature with a description of it and the mods you've done. Help us to help you, will ya huh?

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
My set up

Didn't realize it was a private video..I've only loaded two videos prior..still getting the hang of it. Wil try to resend another. My set up.

Lloydz Freedom performance high compression pistons (10.8:1)
Lloydz HOH-VM1-DR Performance Street Cam
Lloyds ATS (+2)
Lloyds performance Air Filter
Bassani Slip ons
PCV

·
Registered
12,326 Posts
And the year is.....? If its a 2014, we may know what the problem is. You tell us and we'll tell you, since you are playing hide and seek with the ID of your bike. Yes, I can be a cranky old fart. Rank has its privileges, being the most senior guy here.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tapping in motor

It's a 2011 Cory Ness Cross Country... #99.

Not trying to be elusive at all...Gotta help you to help me!!

·
Premium Member
13,723 Posts
Simply make the video public. Then we will be able to view it. :)

How many miles on the motor? Any motor work done like a 116 kit or cams?

There has been some talk lately about not letting the motor warm up before heading out and opening the throttle.

Could be piston slap. A pain to fix but not the end of the world. Could also be cam chain tensioner is slack as mentioned or even a referred noise coming from the primary from the compensator.

·
Registered
12,326 Posts
Could be a drained tappet or tappets. How many miles on the oil and what brand/weight?

·
Premium Member
6,230 Posts
Subscribed .... I would bring it to a vic mechanic on a trailer .....

Just a suggestion ?

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
I'd say the thing is broke, or about to get broke, or maybe it's just some thingamajig that wiggled loose but has stabilized, I had that happen once.

·
Premium Member
6,230 Posts
Just seen a mini Yamaha Vtwin and the mechanic put new spark plugs in

Juuuust a tiny bit to long ..... What a mess

·
Premium Member
13,723 Posts
I'd say the thing is broke, or about to get broke, or maybe it's just some thingamajig that wiggled loose but has stabilized, I had that happen once.
Me too! Fixed itself like magic then broke completely. Hate it when that happens...

·
Super Moderator
6,382 Posts
Did a quick video to try to get the sound of the tapping of the motor. Kind of hard to get the true sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qankh4DATtQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player
In YouTube, go to My Channel > Video Manager (at the top).
For your video, click the "Edit" drop-down next to your video.
Under Basic Info, there is a "Private" dropdown. Click it and select either Public, which lets anyone see it, or Unlisted, which lets anyone with the URL to see it.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Tapping Noise in Motor

Thanks for the info broggyr.. I have to do some maintenance on my youtube account or accounts! It states "No videos" on My Channel, I believe I have a different account (lot older) I use from my phone. In any case. I uploaded a different one as unlisted rather than private. This should work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I-bv6--9o8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

And thanks all who are reading..I know I'm not going to diagnose this fully on the forum.. just putting it out there in case someone else has had something similar happen. She's going to the shop soon..smack dab in the middle of riding season! :(

·
Super Moderator
6,382 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,382 Posts
At the very end of the video, when he shuts the bike down, you can hear the tapping almost bounce a bit as the motor reverses due to compression. Due to the change in sounds, and it continues once or twice after he shuts it off, makes me tend to disagree with the exhaust leak theory but then again I haven't heard one with said leak...

[EDIT]
I just listened to it again with headphones and definitely sounds like metal-on-metal like someone is tapping it with a ball-peen hammer.

·
Premium Member
13,723 Posts
1 - 20 of 39 Posts