Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In continuation of my other post, I have tried the 2012 CrossTour this summer at Americade. I wish I would have tried the Vision but I will do so in the spring. I am assuming that the CrossTour and the Vision rides about the same. Please correct me if I am wrong. I only had two observations on the Crosstour (which may also be applicable to the Vision?). Sorry for making constant reference to the Crosstour but that is the only Victory motorcycle that I have ridden.

I have read that the motor is attached to directly to the frame. My current ride (Electra) has a rubber mount so I do not feel the engine as much as the CrossTour. How is the Vision? Is it something one eventually ignores? Any previous Electra owner here that could comment ?

The other question I had was on the transmission. I believe the transmission on the Crosstour and the Vision is the same. I was immediately behind the lead bike during the demo run. Just prior to arriving to the stop sign, both of us were trying to put the bike in 1rst gear and it was doing a racket. I could hear the noise from his bike. I spoke to the lead demo rider after the ride and I asked him if this was happening all the time. He was not sure since he was hired by Victory to do the demo ride. Is there something that both of us were missing ? Would a 09' Vision be this hard to drop in 1rst gear ?

Looking forward to your responses.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
All Vic's use the engine as a stressed member, and though there is some sympathetic vibration. You don't notice it after a little time in the saddle. The transmission is defiantly not as slick as some of the Jap stuff, but they are very positive, and have little problem finding a gear. You just gotta use your boot

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
The Cross Country Tour and the Vision DO share the same backbone. However, the Victory 106 is a LOT smoother than the Harley (at least @ idle) so there is really no need for rubber mounts on the Victories because they aren't the "paint shakers" that the HDs can be.

As far as shifting down, ANY bike can "fight" the synchronization but I haven't seen much of a problem in my bike but then again, I have owned it since new rather than letting any assortment of riders (with their "quirks" trying to FORCE the downshift into 1st. I personally don't see a REAL need to shift below 2nd when coming to a stop. 2nd can & will take you down to about 10MPH. Just use your brakes after that point.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
In continuation of my other post, I have tried the 2012 CrossTour this summer at Americade. I wish I would have tried the Vision but I will do so in the spring. I am assuming that the CrossTour and the Vision rides about the same. Please correct me if I am wrong. I only had two observations on the Crosstour (which may also be applicable to the Vision?). Sorry for making constant reference to the Crosstour but that is the only Victory motorcycle that I have ridden.

I have read that the motor is attached to directly to the frame. My current ride (Electra) has a rubber mount so I do not feel the engine as much as the CrossTour. How is the Vision? Is it something one eventually ignores? Any previous Electra owner here that could comment ?

The other question I had was on the transmission. I believe the transmission on the Crosstour and the Vision is the same. I was immediately behind the lead bike during the demo run. Just prior to arriving to the stop sign, both of us were trying to put the bike in 1rst gear and it was doing a racket. I could hear the noise from his bike. I spoke to the lead demo rider after the ride and I asked him if this was happening all the time. He was not sure since he was hired by Victory to do the demo ride. Is there something that both of us were missing ? Would a 09' Vision be this hard to drop in 1rst gear ?

Looking forward to your responses.
Thanks.
Since I just purchased a 2011 and was riding an older V92 I can there is a differnce but I am +1 with KevinX and Ndabunka. First the petty amount of vibration you will feel in that seat aint nothing to speak of. My TC jingled things around and I thought that was a sewing machin in comparision to my buddies HD's. Vision=Smooth!

Tranny. I did notice a bit of a differnce from the V92 to the 106 tranny. "Use your boot" is correct, a good solid shift and not a single problem for me. The V92 had its clunk but I think the 106 is more solid feeling in each gear. Coming from a heal shifter, it took some getting used to and I did pop it into N coming up short on 2nd a couple times but I was taking easy and recovered with no one knowing.. hehehe :D

I did find first a couple times was a bit quirky coming up to a stop however I only noticed this when I rolled down RPMs below 2K (a nono) coming up to a light and then tried to grab 2 gears down to first. I would say, and just my opinion, the demo rider just wasnt used to the Vic Tranny.

Nothing to be scared or worried about. After a couple 100 miles, it was nothing noticable at all to me.

Safe ridin!

Tim

·
13,235 Posts
if you can blow this up enough you can see the motor hangs from the frame giving the bike a better feel

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"I have read that the motor is attached to directly to the frame. My current ride (Electra) has a rubber mount so I do not feel the engine as much as the CrossTour.

Really?"

I was making a reference to driving the bike ... not at rest. I don't feel the engine on my Electra once I am past 1500RPM.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I was making a reference to driving the bike ... not at rest. I don't feel the engine on my Electra once I am past 1500RPM.
Certainly you feel "some" vibrations on the HD while traveling at speed, right?

The Victory vibrations at rest are the same as traveling at speed. Apparently at one point the Victory designers had no vibrations at speed and test riders were saying that "something was needed" so they went back to the drawing board and added "some" vibrations to the engine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Certainly you feel "some" vibrations on the HD while traveling at speed, right? .
I honestly do not feel the vibration. The Electra has rubber mounted engine, floor boards are isolated and I believe there is something in the handlebar. The Twin Cam B is totally different story. No much vibration at rest but more as the RPM goes up. You will find this type of engine in the softail.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
So basically, I was too gentle on the shifts ?
I don't know if too gentle is the right way to say it but assert yourself... lol.... Again, I am used to a heel shifter which is where I think MY problem was and I didnt give a good solid upshift the times I had problems. When I put the boot in the shift it went right in and I never had a problem. Take another test ride and keep that in mind when you shift and see if it makes sense to ya. The gears locked in good for me afterwards.

·
Registered
470 Posts
"I have read that the motor is attached to directly to the frame. My current ride (Electra) has a rubber mount so I do not feel the engine as much as the CrossTour.

Really?"

you will find that here you get a lot of harley input from people who have obviously never owned a harley. they think because they bounce at idle they vibrate.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Certainly you feel "some" vibrations on the HD while traveling at speed, right?

The Victory vibrations at rest are the same as traveling at speed. Apparently at one point the Victory designers had no vibrations at speed and test riders were saying that "something was needed" so they went back to the drawing board and added "some" vibrations to the engine.
if i thought for one second anybody at vic was stupid enough to make a motorcycle vibrate on purpose, i would be afraid to ride mine!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Grey rider, I'm a recent convert from riding Harleys for 25 years. My Electraglide Classic would shake while at idle but when I started riding I felt no vibration. My XC does not shake at idle, in fact sometimes when I'm idling I can't tell its running (except for rumble from the pipes). When I first rode a XC a year ago, I too noticed the vibration you speak of. After the demo ride I told the salesman about the vibration and he looked puzzled and told me to take the bike he had been riding for a spin. Same results, vibration at 2000 rpms. Got off the bike and continued riding Harleys. 6 months later took a demo ride on a HD softail and sure enough there was a vibration just like the Victorys. Chalked it up to the softails having a counterbalanced motor compared to the Electraglides. Now I felt better about the Victorys and it reopened my mind. When I finally bought my Victory 6 weeks ago, at first I felt the vibration but soon I no longer felt it. I think its because I ride the Victory more like a Victory now (higher rpms) and not like a Harley when I might go down to 2000 rpms which I rarely go when I'm riding my XC. And I can honestly say I enjoy riding this bike alot more than any of my HDs and I loved my Harleys. It just runs so much better, handles way way better and it is so much quicker and stronger stock than most Harleys with engine work. I don't regret owning a Harley but I'm happy I found Victory and I'm not looking back. PS, several of my diehard Harley buddies have already bought their own Victorys. Now if I can only find where I can buy some Victory stock I could be real rich in a couple of years.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
you will find that here you get a lot of harley input from people who have obviously never owned a harley. they think because they bounce at idle they vibrate.
ah, er, since when is "BOUNCING" not vibrating?
I don't own a HD but I have ridden them. The newer models are no longer "paint shakers" at the stop light but there is no denying they still "shake" a bit at idle. At speed they are very similar to the Victory's IMHO

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Grey rider, I'm a recent convert from riding Harleys for 25 years. My Electraglide Classic would shake while at idle but when I started riding I felt no vibration. My XC does not shake at idle, in fact sometimes when I'm idling I can't tell its running (except for rumble from the pipes). When I first rode a XC a year ago, I too noticed the vibration you speak of. After the demo ride I told the salesman about the vibration and he looked puzzled and told me to take the bike he had been riding for a spin. Same results, vibration at 2000 rpms. Got off the bike and continued riding Harleys. 6 months later took a demo ride on a HD softail and sure enough there was a vibration just like the Victorys. Chalked it up to the softails having a counterbalanced motor compared to the Electraglides. Now I felt better about the Victorys and it reopened my mind. When I finally bought my Victory 6 weeks ago, at first I felt the vibration but soon I no longer felt it. I think its because I ride the Victory more like a Victory now (higher rpms) and not like a Harley when I might go down to 2000 rpms which I rarely go when I'm riding my XC. And I can honestly say I enjoy riding this bike alot more than any of my HDs and I loved my Harleys. It just runs so much better, handles way way better and it is so much quicker and stronger stock than most Harleys with engine work. I don't regret owning a Harley but I'm happy I found Victory and I'm not looking back. PS, several of my diehard Harley buddies have already bought their own Victorys. Now if I can only find where I can buy some Victory stock I could be real rich in a couple of years.
PII & follow my buy/sell recommendations right here on this site. Bought on 7/26/12 for $74.88 & sold on 9/13/12 for $85. Latest buy was 9/27/12 when the stock dipped down to $79.01 (I posted my buy in this thread...http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?p=103971&highlight=pii+stock#post103971)

I should have sold it on the 5th but I was having too much fun @ bike week in Myrtle Beach to be " bothered" with tracking or trading stocks so I still have that position and am comfortable with it as this is a $86-$90 stock in my mind...

·
Registered
470 Posts
ah, er, since when is "BOUNCING" not vibrating?
I don't own a HD but I have ridden them. The newer models are no longer "paint shakers" at the stop light but there is no denying they still "shake" a bit at idle. At speed they are very similar to the Victory's IMHO
so the kids in a bouncy house are vibrating?:)
i can't say about anybody else but my vic does have more vibes at 80 than my 04 rk had. also its a more buzzy vibe.
up to about 72 or so it has nothing but the engine pulses when in a hard pull.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts