Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.centurylink.net/news/read/category/Top News/article/ap-motorcycle_injuries_worsen_with_weaker_h-ap

Face it Helmets help reduce injuries and do save lives. Insurance is only going to keep going up due to those who refuse to wear helmets and get in crashes suffering injuries. With Obama care fixing to kick in it is only going to get worse.

Are helmets really that bad?

I choose to wear a full face Arai helmet when I ride. But the fact is there are different styles of helmets to fit anyone's needs. My wife wears an Arai full face as well and we use wireless blue tooth from senna to talk back and forth. You want to feel the wind in your face wear a 3/4 or 1/2 helmet and you will get all the wind you want in your face. If you want your ears uncovered wear a 1/2 helmet and you will get wind in your face as well as your ears while you go deaf from the wind noise but at least your head will be afforded some protection.

It is a total cop out saying it should be your right to choose because driving is not a right it is a privilege.

·
Super Moderator
6,382 Posts
Yay, a helmet law thread! :)

In CT, we do not have a helmet law (unless you are under 18) but I wear my full-face every time. When I started riding, There was no way I was going to wear a helmet - it's heavy, hinders vision, and they get hot!

Then, I got my first touring motorcycle - a Suzuki Cavalcade. It had a built-in intercom system, so of course I needed a helmet to hold the electronics!

Since then I have always (with ONE exception back in 2005 or 2006) worn my helmet. If there is no law, then a rider should do as he chooses. I choose to wear.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
HLDI , the insurance industry numbercrunchers.
You want to hang your argument for helmets on their propaganda do it from the seat of your Volvo. That's about the only thing that they want to see on the roads.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

In CT, we do not have a helmet law (unless you are under 18) but I wear my full-face every time. When I started riding, There was no way I was going to wear a helmet - it's heavy, hinders vision, and they get hot!

Then, I got my first touring motorcycle - a Suzuki Cavalcade. It had a built-in intercom system, so of course I needed a helmet to hold the electronics!

Since then I have always (with ONE exception back in 2005 or 2006) worn my helmet. If there is no law, then a rider should do as he chooses. I choose to wear.
Except driving is not a right, it is a privilege. Because it is a privilege you do have to obey any regulations that come with that privilege.

The numbers are there showing no helmet use costs all of us more money due to increased injuries and deaths.

·
Registered
12,326 Posts
Volvos are safe only due to perception brought on by advertising campaigns. My perception is that Volvos are inherently unsafe because they are driven by those who know consciously or subconsciously that they are rotten drivers and are eventually going to crash and want what they think is the most crash worthy car around them. They are right, IMO because a Volvo driver is capable of making some of the most bizarre moves at any given time, so I give them wide berth. As I do with BMWs--an enthusiast car bought by non enthusiast drivers here on our shores. Then there are the Ford Excursion drivers....

·
Super Moderator
6,382 Posts
Except driving is not a right, it is a privilege. Because it is a privilege you do have to obey any regulations that come with that privilege.

The numbers are there showing no helmet use costs all of us more money due to increased injuries and deaths.
And I do obey. Over and above what is required here.
The good thing is, I don't have to do anything special when riding to a neighboring state.

·
Registered
784 Posts
LOL, helmet laws suck. They interfere with natural selection.

Anti helmeters don't care about much other than their "rights", so this is just irritating electrons.

Cheers

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
Wooo hooo!!! :pepper:

Are helmets really that bad?
No, helmets are good. What's bad is this freedom of choice! Please, take it away, so we don't have to waste our time thinking and debating.

By the way, let the government impose mandatory helmet and the next agenda will be mandatory air bags, seat belts, and a cage on your bike, because some statistic will prove it's safer. Better yet, just ban motorcycles, since driving is a privilege so we can all drive a cage and be safer.

Yes, ban motorcycles I tell ya, and the insurance rates will go down. Ban driving too, and we can all go to the horse and buggy and the insurance rates will lower even more! cheers

Or maybe a lockdown where nobody leaves their home will be the ultimate in roadway safety! :p

·
Registered
125 Posts
Havent y'all heard, Florida solved this problem. If you carry medical insurance no helmet required. If you dont the law requires a helmet.

Problem is figuring out who opted for optional medical insurance on their motorcycle policy at 70mph.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Havent y'all heard, Florida solved this problem. If you carry medical insurance no helmet required. If you dont the law requires a helmet.

Problem is figuring out who opted for optional medical insurance on their motorcycle policy at 70mph.
Seems like the best solution to me. It should go for seat belts too. I don't believe gov't wants to be anyone's nanny, but will end up being their caretaker if they get busted up without insurance.

Did I mention I did a Harley demo last week and the lady behind me ran into a guard rail and broke her leg? As her ambulance was prepared to leave I heard her husband tell one of the medics that they don't have insurance. Lo and behold, the medic didn't drop her back on the road. Uncle Sam will pay for that...

I'm guessing the Harley dealer will have to eat the cost of the bike. The form asks for valid MC endorsement & MC insurance, but no one was supervising any of this. I could have written down anything on the form and no one would have been the wiser. I think they just hope you put down a valid email so they can send you their ads.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
... I did a Harley demo last week
Traitor! :p

... As her ambulance was prepared to leave I heard her husband tell one of the medics that they don't have insurance. Lo and behold, the medic didn't drop her back on the road. Uncle Sam will pay for that...
Maybe her husband was just trying to avoid paying his insurance co-payment. :ltr:

The form asks for valid MC endorsement & MC insurance, but no one was supervising any of this. I could have written down anything on the form and no one would have been the wiser. I think they just hope you put down a valid email so they can send you their ads.
Actually dealers carry insurance which covers them for uninsured test-rides gone bad. They just don't like having their premiums raised when they have a claim...

Where are the pics of lady vs guardrail? :(

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Keep your friend's close and your enemies closer. :cool:

Only kidding, it's fun to see what all the fuss is about. And if it ain't a touring model, there is nothing at all to fuss about at the bar & shield.

Where are the pics of lady vs guardrail? :(
I'm too cheap to buy a computer phone. Next time I'm with someone who gets injured I could call you and let them moan into the receiver if ya like?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Screw helmet laws, design a kinder gentler guardrail. That would be progress!

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
I'm too cheap to buy a computer phone. Next time I'm with someone who gets injured I could call you and let them moan into the receiver if ya like?
You can get free ones! Nah, don't care for the moaning; I was more interested in how the guardrail fared. :D

·
Registered
12,326 Posts
Since no one jumped on Victory1 about this, I'll fill him in. Cage drivers are doing far more to raise our premiums and taxes than us riders ever will. A study was done by the University of Washington Medical Center in response to a furor that injured motorcyclists were a financial burden on the public. Turned out that, on an individual basis, cage drivers were far more likely to be uninsured and cost the public more $$$. And there are a helluva lot more of them wheeled into hospitals that there are of us. So there...pbbbbt!

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I wear a helmet. When I was younger I didn't. Choice

As far as Volvos go I believe they are very safe. 5-88 my wife and 1 year old were broadsided by a prescription drug addict that ran a red light. Estimated 60 mph, never touched brakes. This I learned due to no skid marks. Her fine $150. No loss of license. Anyways my wife's 1986 Volvo crumpled in all the right places. Wife had, knee, wrist surgery. Son as cut up but no surgery required. So it ay be an ad but he car does what the ads say

·
Registered
12,326 Posts
As far as Volvos go I believe they are very safe. 5-88 my wife and 1 year old were broadsided by a prescription drug addict that ran a red light. Estimated 60 mph, never touched brakes. This I learned due to no skid marks. Her fine $150. No loss of license. Anyways my wife's 1986 Volvo crumpled in all the right places. Wife had, knee, wrist surgery. Son as cut up but no surgery required. So it ay be an ad but he car does what the ads say
Not saying they aren't safe. All cars are safe, some more than others and Volvo is not at the top of that list today according to federal and IIHS crash tests. I was eluding to the perception many Volvo owners have that their car's safety features far exceed those of other cars so they can do ditzy things in traffic and survive. :crzy:

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Think my Picture of Riding Free in the Ozarks states how I feel about Helmet Laws .. Actually I do wear a Helmet most of the time. But have always Backed Freedom of Choice .. Why Enjoy the Ozarks and Riding out West where they believe in Freedom of Choice as well as my own Home State of FL .. When Riding in the South I say God Bless Florida, SC, Arkansas and Texas .. The Rest are Nanny States..

1 - 20 of 57 Posts